WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Marketing a service instead of a product!!!???

petspets subscriber Posts: 1
edited December 2008 in Marketing
Most of this is great advice for entrepeneurs selling products, but what about services. I can`t take my service to the school yard, give it a kid , and then let the other kids say they want one too. I have a service which not many give advice on how to market a start up service. Help !

Comments

• patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    what is the service?  the rules for registering a trademark are very similar to service mark.
  • DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    Most of this is great advice for entrepeneurs selling products, but what about services. I can`t take my service to the school yard, give it a kid , and then let the other kids say they want one too. I have a service which not many give advice on how to market a start up service. Help !

You didn`t mention what the service is, but one of the best ways to market a service is to position  yourself as an expert in your field. This can be accomplished several different ways. However, my favorite way is writing articles.

How are your writing skills?

You can write articles on topics pertaining to your particular field of interest. For example, if you`re a plumber write plumbing tips. If you`re a veterinarian you can write pet tips. If you`re a mechanic you can write car tips. See my point?

Articles are a great way to spread the word about your business. Heck, you can even advertise your tips. Instead of regular advertising, advertise tips. It`s still advertising, but it`s much more subtle. Also, you`re giving people information that they can use.

Just something to consider.

Something else you can do is to work your customers for referrals. After all, word of mouth is the best form of advertising. Come up with some kind of incentive plan for your customers, and they`ll be your best advertising.

David Jackson

DavidJackson12/20/2008 2:01 PM
  • petspets subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi David,
    Thank you for your advice. It is like a visiting nurse service only it is a visiting Vet Tech service. My Vet Techs go to homes and visit sick pets per Veterinarian referral. I have hooked up with the biggest Vet Hospital in NYC. ( The Animal Medical Center), they , among many others say it is a great idea for many reasons . This is the first of it`s kind business and has tremendous potential to grow, but getting it going has been difficlut. I also have an article coming out in Veterinary PracticeNews about the agency and have a few presentations to other hospitals in January. I am working on another article. These are all good things, however it has been slow getting the referrals from the Vets. I have been thinking of  hooking up with Meals on Wheels and doing a program with them to have a pet food drive to help feed our homebound seniors. If I had a press kit , this would be great to advertise, but I don`t, is there a less expensive way to advertise this possible event. 
  • DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member

Hi David, Thank you for your advice. It is like a visiting nurse service only it is a visiting Vet Tech service. My Vet Techs go to homes and visit sick pets per Veterinarian referral. I have hooked up with the biggest Vet Hospital in NYC. ( The Animal Medical Center), they , among many others say it is a great idea for many reasons . This is the first of it`s kind business and has tremendous potential to grow, but getting it going has been difficlut. I also have an article coming out in Veterinary PracticeNews about the agency and have a few presentations to other hospitals in January. I am working on another article. These are all good things, however it has been slow getting the referrals from the Vets. I have been thinking of  hooking up with Meals on Wheels and doing a program with them to have a pet food drive to help feed our homebound seniors. If I had a press kit , this would be great to advertise, but I don`t, is there a less expensive way to advertise this possible event.     Thanks for explaining what your service is.  It sounds like a very worthwhile cause, and a great human interest story. In that regard, you should be able to get plenty of free publicity. Try contacting your local media - tv, newspapers and tell them what you`re doing. They`ll probably want to interview you. Many businesses have been launched just this way. If they don`t seem interested at first, keep bugging them. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil! David Jackson
  • petspets subscriber Posts: 1
    Wow! Lots of great advice!! Thanks. A company called me called Veterinary Network News and they find reporters in your area who may be interested in interviewing concerning pets, etc.. He said he would see if he could help me and find someone. I called him the next week and thanked him for taking an interest in my company and to "fish" and he said the same thing. Do you think I should continue to contact him? I called the NY Daily News and they never got back with me. I`m not sure how to get in the door with the news papers.This is my weekest area of owning this business. I `m not a pushy person , but I am trying. Once the business gets going it will  "fly". I just need that first big opener!
     I agree, to a point, people do  say `what can it do for me.` the problem is still getting the "word" out there so they know what it can do for them.The other is, that I think it`s easier for people to believe in something they can see and touch, something tangible. It`s the old saying "out of sight out of mind". I have a well researched business plan .
    Your dog is beautiful!! Thanks for the advice. Dog walkers are big in NYC, and I actually thought after the holidays I would try to hook up with them and could refer each other. There are 3 really big reputable companys. Yes, I`ve done a lot of research that discusses the fact that most people will make sure their dogs and cats are fed, before they pay their bills. I would also like to get involved with a program connected with Meals On Wheels called "Walop". Statistics claim that homebound seniors will feed their pets  and compromise their own health. "Walop" provides pet food for these  same seniors so that they don`t use their food to feed thier pets. I could have a pet food drive. It would be nice to get some publicity also, but this a program I would like to support. What do think.
    Thanks for the support!!
  • igglesiggles subscriber Posts: 1
    I do not know for sure, but I imagine that there has to be a community - online, or offline that is for people who love their pets.  To get the word out, try joining those communities and spread your ideas.  Introduce yourself and give advice.  Make yourself known as a resource.  If you introduce yourself and say "My name is ____ and here is what my business can do for you..." that might be a turn off right out of the gate.  Instead publish a top ten list of mistakes new pet owners make and distribute it amongst the community and on your website.

Best of luck to you!
  • christianbookschristianbooks subscriber Posts: 0
    You can write articles on topics pertaining to your particular field of interest. For example, if you`re a plumber write plumbing tips. If you`re a veterinarian you can write pet tips.