WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Who’s right??

opieopie subscriber Posts: 15
edited September 2007 in Business Planning
I am having hang tags made for my products and I told the person to put a little TM mark after my company name.  She put the TM mark after the LLC on the tag.  Shouldn`t the TM be immediately after the company name?  I don`t believe I have ever seen one after the LLC.  But then again, I`m living on three hours of sleep so maybe I`m just delusional?! 

Comments

• Options
    PiperTaxPiperTax subscriber Posts: 5
    Well, after forming an LLC, many people include "LLC" in their company name, in which case you`d put it at the end of the entire name (so, after the "LLC").
  • Options
    Oh.  Guess they`re right.  In seeing that, it just didn`t look right, but thanks!  I`ll tell the tag company to proceed with this.  Glad I asked!
  • Options
    johnqhjohnqh subscriber Posts: 4
    No, trademark and business names are two different things, so neither of you are right.
    For example, take a Intel release (for whatever processor), and you will see something like this:
    "Intel Corporation blah blah releases Intel (TM) Core 2 Duo (R) blah blah blah."
    In the context, when the name is referring to the company, it should not have the TM or R ("Intel Corporation"). You use it when you use it as the label of the product ("Intel (TM) ...").
    To be specific, here is the example: .htm
  • Options
    Okay, so here`s how I think it should look:  Sassibella TM, LLC - TM sign directly after Sassibella, correct?  You`re all confusing me!opie2007-9-23 9:6:26
  • Options
    pepperlegalpepperlegal subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    I would presume that you don`t wish to establish any trademark rights over the "LLC" portion of your tradename.   Also, are you seeking to protect your business name alone, or your business name using a particular font, logo and/or design?  In most cases, there is no reason to use the "TM" moniker when using the full business name with the business entity suffix (Inc., LLC, etc.).  You would typically only use the TM with the company name alone (e.g., Companyname TM versus Companyname TM LLC).
  • Options
    johnqhjohnqh subscriber Posts: 4
    Okay, so here`s how I think it should look:  Sassibella TM, LLC - TM sign directly after Sassibella, correct?  You`re all confusing me!
    No, it should never be used in a company name.
    Instead, you should have a tag with "Sassibella(TM)", then under that, small text "Sassibella LLC".