WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How would you feel? What would you do?

omupasomupas subscriber Posts: 7
edited March 2007 in Protecting Your Ideas
Hello Startupnation Community!
I have a quick question for all of you here in the community.  I understand that posting on forums are a "free for all" in most cases in the sense that anything said is there for the world to see.  I like to post my knowledge in the forum because I would like to help anyone I can with the information that I have.
That being said, how would you feel if you were randomly browsing the web and then you saw something you posted in a forum completely plagiarized by someone else?
On top of that, the person also visits the thread that you started and then blatantly advertises their services into the thread that you`ve posted.
I`m just a little annoyed, as I share my experiences openly to help others out.  But to see my words copied so that someone else can take credit completely irritates me.
How would you feel in this case?  And what would you do about it, if anything at all?  I know that imitation is the highest form of flattery, but I believe in the concept that you should give credit where credit is due.

Comments

• Options
    iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    It would be annoying, but... whatever.  I guess I wouldn`t do too much about it because it takes more effort than it`s worth... and to what end. Oh well. I say.At least you know you are doing something so right, that others are copying you.
  • Options
    NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    First of all OMUPAS, There is a place that SUN has created where you can post your marketing material, your Merchant POS machines and so forth and that is called the MARKET PLACE. What I`ve noticed in your posts is that you are selling your products not educating in the forums. let me give you an example, this posting of yours http://www.startupnation.com/pages/comm ... _posts.aspIf any one reads it they would think you where just scammed. Coming to find out, it was regarding your services... If it wouldn`t of been that I could have helped you you would have never said anything about you being a merchant account sales person. So if you don`t want people to feed off your posting and mess up your sales, Post your specials on the Market Place and help others on the forum.
  • Options
    omupasomupas subscriber Posts: 7
    Elids,Thanks for the quote, like RDGinc said, easier said than done.  This experience isn`t going to stop me from sharing my knowledge, it was just a bit disturbing to see someone lift a thread of mine and repost the whole thing word for word and not give credit, but at the same time, like the quote says, give unconditionally right?
    iouone2 & raisecapital02,Thanks for your remarks
    Nuevolution,I`m fairly new to the startupnation community, I was just pointed in the marketplace direction very recently, and since have posted something brief in the market place.  After re-reading my first post in the forum, I could see how it could look like I was scammed.  However, do you really feel that i am "not educating in the forums"?  What about my posts on "free terminals" and "monthly minimums."  I thought I was helping to shed some light on those areas, if you have any feedback on how to make them more educational I`d certainly appreciate it.  Also, I don`t so much mind others posting their services in my threads, I appreciate competition and I encourage my clients to shop around, it`s a business owner doing their own due dilegence by doing so.  This was just the "straw that broke the camels back" in this particular case.  I was more disturbed about my post being copy and pasted into someone`s own blog.  Either way, I appreciate your comment as well.  My short time here in the forum so far, I`ve noticed you are very helpful in your posts and your knowledge in different areas.