WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What type of business in a Tourist area?

joeyqjoeyq subscriber Posts: 1
Hi,I am semi-retired & looking for ideas for a tourist driven business.  The area is a small community with steady year round tourists.  I want to do something that would attract all ages, hopefully not be too labor intensive or too expensive as a startup.Any ideas or where I can research further is greatly appreciated.JQ

Comments

• HelenSHelenS subscriber Posts: 0
    Around our area we have year round tourists as well and one thing that seems to bring them in are historic tours especially ones that revolve around "Ghostly Happenings"  These are usually held early evening and by costumed hosts.  I have taken several in my area even though I am not a "tourist".  If you have a love of history this might be something to look into.

• OldNikkoOldNikko subscriber Posts: 0
    Are there campgrounds in the area that have significant use JQ?
    If so, I`d personally consider starting a conveniently located camping/campers supply store selling the consumables and camping stuff the visitors routinely need.
    You could also sell in that same shop an extended line of tourist curios and/or seasonal stuff (like beach products for example) too. (Or... spin-off with a partnered-up biz - or start a biz-coop in a larger building - or.... lots more ideas, but that can wait for another post.)
    For a really `low-buck` start, try going with a "mobile-canteen" using a well-stocked larger-sized step-van full of "fast-turning" fresh foodstuffs, canned goods & misc. consumables... then cruise the campgrounds (by prior arrangement with the owner/operators) on a regular & routine basis/schedule.
    NB: In my area - with a lot of seasonal lakeside tourist trade - there are several of each of these options operating with a large measure of success... and... they are quite EASY to start & run!
    Nick/Old Nikko
  • joeyqjoeyq subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi,Thanks for all the tidbits.  Most everything mentioned is pretty much already taken.  Location is on the Pacific coast, weather is iffy at best, even though year round traffic of tourists due to ocean.  Approximately 5,000 fulltime year round & 300-500,000 visitors per month, depending on season.The city does not allow carts, there is police, fire, library, etc. & there is a convention center with 10-15 good sized "shows" a year.  Too much food already.  There are campgrounds, "tourist & beach" , etc.Which is why I posted - need NEW ideas.thanksJQ
  • OldNikkoOldNikko subscriber Posts: 0
    OK...
    When was the last time you tripped thru` the yellow pages of another large "touristy" city with similar characteristics? Then, compare what they have for businesses with what your area doesn`t have. (Use the indexes only, you don`t need any details at this point.)
    I`d bet that youll find at least several dozens of new, unique possibilities that fall within your capabilities.
    Nick
  • joeyqjoeyq subscriber Posts: 1
    Believe or not, there is a Jerky store there & it is good!  Good idea on the Yellow pages though.Thanks,JQ
  • DogmomDogmom subscriber Posts: 0
    I also live in a tourist area and recently lost my 8-5 job.  I have been giving a lot of thought to my own "boomer" business and feel this could be the right time to get going.  My area has many private properties that are rented per week/month/season and I am considering a service to provision the properties for the incoming tenants....such as food, gear, making reservations for tours, etc. and supplying information on the area.  Make it easy for them to come in and get their vacation started and give them information on where to go and what to do. 
  • unlimited22unlimited22 subscriber Posts: 1
    If there are significant landmarks, stories, historical people, interesting businesses, or mansions in the area, you can host a guided tour.