WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Shareholder vs. Stakeholder

booktraderbooktrader subscriber Posts: 1
edited September 2007 in Startup Funding
I am in the process of writing a business plan in hopes of opening a used bookstore which would be located in a part of town (Naples, FL) that is being "redeveloped" and am thinking of ways I can raise working capital to get me thru the 1st year as I have the seed money to get it up and running. This part of town will be up and coming within the next 3 years as they are building an arts and culture venue as well as there is a Botanical Garden already there that will be expanding tremendously within the next 3 years as well.
My thought is to have community members who live in this part of town myself included "invest" in the NJFP as a community corporation; a social enterprise capitalized through stock shares sold to local residents.  Much of the investors return would be in the form of community benefits rather than financial gain. Is this type of offering feasible?  Would it be considered an IPO?  I am looking for people to invest $1,000 each and was looking for at least 35 investors who share in the company`s values; to care about people, the community and the environment. 
Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.  Thank you

Comments

• Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    booktrader,
    The sale of securities (shares of stock, etc) is regulated by both the Feds (SEC) and each State. Generally speaking, The "public" sale requires that the security be registered. There are some exemptions to this requirement, but you should consult with an attorney that specializes in securities law for specifics related to your exact situation.robertj2007-9-7 15:38:27
  • Options
    speedspeed subscriber Posts: 0
    My advice is just get STARTED and every other thing will fall in place.
    SPEED

• Options
    booktraderbooktrader subscriber Posts: 1
    Thank you all for your replies.  In regards to Fast Ventures response, yes I have thought of going the nonprofit route as I work for a nonprofit and have experience in fundraising, special events planning and coordination (my forte`) and am also the buyer/manager as well for our gift shop; a jill of all trades- a master of none.
    Call me crazy, but I would be starting this business not necessarily for fame and fortune, I would be more than happy to be doing something I love and in the process make a decent salary comparable to what I make now.  As long as I could pay the bills... that`s all I am looking for at this point and once up and running... then grow at a steady pace.  I have thought of going the SBA route as well? 
    In your opinion(s) what would be the advantage or disadvantage of going the nonprofit route?