WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

The power of 3 1/2" x 2"

AddassaMariAddassaMari subscriber Posts: 2
edited January 2007 in Thought Leadership
Have you noticed that for virtual based businesses, the emphasis for advertisement is also virtual.  I have a virtual business with physical products.  My target market is in the local grocery store, the mall, out walking their dogs, playing golf, holding down a 9 to 5, otherwise leading busy real life. 
Now, I had a momentary flashback to my marketing classes.  Sales people always, no let me rephrase that - agressive and success sales people have a very passive way of establishing "presence", the ubiquitous business card.  I also remember some of my favourite boutiques and little shops in Colorado Springs, I found them because someone gave me a business card or I saw an eye catching card displayed somewhere.
With this in mind I have decided to extend by advertising budget and reach by giving our business cards. 
So, am I off on a tangent here?
What  is  the best way to tract ROI for my "3 1/2" x 2" advertisement?AddassaMari2007-1-12 9:56:24

Comments

• coscoopercoscooper subscriber Posts: 0
    Addassa - I` a HUGE proponent of the "calling" card or business card. It is the one item, that for me at least, I hang onto when someone has called on me. I have them organized in card managers and have some going back 20 years.So, when I started my business, I printed a lot and have them on my person every time I leave the house, even for personal errands. You just never know who you`ll run into at the cashier line at Home Depot. BTW... this is the most inexpensive form of advertising so I`m not sure extended advertising budget will have much impact. I`ve also had small 4" x 6" post cards printed up like extended b-cards but with more of a marketing message.ROI on B-Cards. Not sure specifically if you`re giving them out retail and people are picking them up randomly. However, if you do a card exchange, it`s much easier to track. I usually turn the card over from the person I`ve recieved it, write a note or two and the date we exchanged. Then I put them in my contact database and keep notes about any business relationships we forge. There may not be a direct revenue tracking option, but you could quantify how many cards you gave out versus how many return calls, web site visits etc... For any business we conduct we intend to have an area that asks, "How did you hear about us?" You could add "Picked up you business card."Good luck
    coscooper2007-1-12 10:36:2
  • AddassaMariAddassaMari subscriber Posts: 2
    Thanks, coscooper, I will definately modify my customer survey questionnaire to include your suggestion.
    Wow.  Where were you  and coscooper  a few months ago?  I will certainly rework my marketing approach.  Thanks keycon 

• keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    I don`t know about coscooper, but I was right here ...since April `06
    This is what SuN is all about ... helping, communicating, sharing, smiling, growing, learning, mentoring, and just having plain downright fun!
    Later - R@
  • keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Nancy - great idea on the different email address for tracking! Thanks for sharing.
    R@keycon2007-1-23 18:7:45
    You know I think that will definately work.  I have created different email address and linked them to different Private Phone Numbers.  And as I have more than one product in my portfolio, I assign for, instant, my weightloss program  it`s own email account and phone number on my business card.  My advertising is done for my entire website so I know where my business is coming from.  It may seem like a lot of work, but it is not, I have all my email forwarded to my one email account, and filtered into different folders.  So it is working. Has a few wrinkles, but they will smooth out.
    You people are brillant!
  • dvmacdvmac subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi AdasssaMari-
    FYI - three of the four links in your signature are broken
    regards
    Dvm
    www.davidvmccoy.com</A>dvmac2007-1-24 12:36:57
  • msceesmscees subscriber Posts: 0
    I have rally enjoyed and learned a lot about business card marketing.  Thank you.
    I`d like some input on this question.  We are using roving.com for our newsletter and it does have a join me box for our website however, I don`t believe there is a method or optiion to enter a code.  How best can this be accomplihed-tracked from the business card and is there another enewsletter that I could use?.
    thanks
    Thanks dvmac.  I am off to fix that.