WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Business Idea-Need Feedback

jwatkinsjwatkins subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
Hi, I`m new to SUN but so far this place is awesome. I have an idea that has been burning a hole in my brain for a while now and I would like some feedback from the members on the viability of this idea.
Here goes... Job search websites are huge, social networking sites are huge, and YouTube is beyond huge. My idea would be a website that combines all three. The idea is to have users make a video of themselves answering 8 standard interview questions (possibly hosted by Youtube). The users would dress and act as if they are actually being interviewed by a potential employer. They would then upload the video and have the other members rate their performance. Once a certain performance level is achieved by the user, the video is posted for potential employers to view. The user would also have a profile/resume online at the site to be viewed.
I`m thinking the community aspect of the site will drive the candidates to produce better videos and also provide potential employers with better candidates. Candidates will be able to learn a lot about interviewing and hone their skills. The cream will rise to the top.
Candidates will also be able to add searchable tags to their profile (eg. CCNA certified, CPA, webmaster, etc.) to make searching easier for potential employees.
The name of the site will be "CandidEight" or "CandidEights" to reflect the eight questions.
Monetizing-I`m thinking sponsored ads or a fee for employers to contact candidates or proably both.
This is also an idea to have the top rated candidates win prizes offered by sposnsors such as a gift certificate for a new suit or dress etc.
All comments are welcome as well as big money backing. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments

• Options
    Great feedback Craig. As to item #1, this wouldn`t be a job search site. Can`t compete with Yahoo and Monster. It would be the other end, a candidate search site for potential employers to visit and find employees. It`s being done by other sites but not with video interviews so that employers can see what their getting before committing.
    Item #2. You`re exactly right about there not being a community when candidates are going for the same job, however, there will not be any job postings on this site, therefore no competition per se. I feel that a voting system for the videos will generate a sense of community on the site and in turn will spur competition for better videos.
    I`m attached to this idea so please keep smacking me upside the head until I come to my senses.

• Options
    Good point Elids. The employers would begin by searching keywords for specific candidates, they would then be shown a list of candidates along with the option of viewing the video. The candidates would be listed in order based on their rating. Imaging you`re an employer seeking a CPA, you come to the site, do a search and are given a list of candidates. At this point you can gain a much clearer picture of who this candidate is by viewing the video. Remember, only top rated candidates will be listed. Also, every employer will chooses employees after they interview them themselves, this is just a shortcut for them to weed out undesirables.
  • Options
    In other words, searches would start with the profile (resume) and then proceed to the video.
  • Options
    Thanks CampSteve! I believe you are right. That would be a better way to approach the site. Help with writing resumes and maybe image consulting would follow also. Many Colleges are turning to video to interview potential students. This would also work for that segment. Hey Craig and ElidS, how about that angle? Is it viable? Thanks for the help. I just found this site today and I have to say, the people here are amazing. Thanks again.More suggestions welcome.check this out http://www.careerjournal.com/jobhunting ... ng/2001101and this http://www.digitalvideointerview.co.uk/

jwatkins2007-7-20 21:33:32
  • Options
    CampSteve,  I did a little Google research and found the above  links and also this one http://jobsearch.about.com/od/jobinterv ... videointerI think approaching the site from your angle is my best bet. I believe that just having a place to "practice" would be beneficial. As far as a revenue model, I feel a standard sponsorship ad model would probably work best. Maybe even Adsense? What do you think?
  • Options
    LydianyLydiany subscriber Posts: 1
    I think this is a great idea. I would definately use it to practice and improve
    my career. I like the name "CandidEight", but I would put a "the" before it.
    You could definately use both advertising and employer fees to make a
    profit, I think employers would think this is an invaluable tool, it would
    shave countless hours off of the hiring process.

If you do decide to go ahead with this, let me know. I own a graphic design
    studio and would love to do your print graphics. Maybe a logo and some
    print promotional material to present to employers and such.
  • Options
    Actually CampSteve,  with the new direction the idea has taken by narrowing, the name would probably need to change to reflect "mock" interviews or interview practice so some brainstorming is in order. CraigL, you mentioned doing interviews better, the site would definitely help the interviewee get better and the interviewers could definitely use the site to get better by seeing how people react to different questions. There could be a forum for HR types and they could help by offering the questions. There are many possibilities. Check out the links in my last couple of posts. This could work. So far the idea is to have a site that people come to to learn to interview better, be it job interview, college entrance, maybe even pitching a sales script. They would upload their videos to Youtube (thereby saving storage and bandwidth on the site), post them to the site, and then be voted on by the community. The questions would be posted by the users. Contests would be ran monthly to award the best video. There would need to be a very active forum for interviewers and interviewees also. Am I getting close?

jwatkins2007-7-21 7:27:15
  • Options
    LauraJeanLauraJean subscriber Posts: 0
    I like the general idea, it seems the "job interview" part is the setback. What about more of a type of audition? For talent scouts perhaps for look alikes? Or, you could offer specialized search services depending on the clients needs, sticking with the interview type questions, the video etc. but more specialized to what the client wants.
  • Options
    Hey laurajean, In just a few short posts the original idea has changed to more of a social site whos purpose is to help people become better at interviewing. You would post a video of yourself answering interview questions and the community would comment and vote on how well you did. You would view videos and get  ideas on how to better answer certain questions. There would be forums to ask and answer questions and professional interviewers would log on to help. As CampSteve said, if the focus is on helping people learn to interview better, the employers will follow.Keep the comments coming.
  • Options
    ProdigyProdigy subscriber Posts: 19
    Wow! This is a great idea. Me being a college student I think it would definitely help me with my interviewing skills. And I`m not the only college student that believes this. Maybe you can have a more focused niche geared towards college students in particular. Students are more into the social networking thing anyway. I think you should definitely have a list of guides like what to dress, formatting your resume, how to respond to certain questions, etc. Anyway I`d give the site an A plus as far as usefulness.
  • Options
    Thank you for the comments. College students will be a big part of my target demographic. The site will feature articles as well as video sharing. I will have input from professional resume writers, image consultants, HR pros, etc. I have the basic layout of the site done, the videos can be posted, the forum is up. I should be able to go live in about a week. I`ll be sure to let you know when we start the beta testing of the site so that you can be one of the first. I have high hopes for this site.
  • Options
    See what I have so far InterViewables.com

jwatkins2007-8-8 17:37:22
  • Options
    RetiredMemberRetiredMember subscriber Posts: 0
    Maybe a side-ways skewing of the idea...
    How about a `presentations development` and practice site?
    This could be for job candidates, sales-folk, presenters, lecturers, seminar folk, and so on....
    Just a thought...
    NickBAM
  • Options
    Actually if you fear public speaking and you make a video in the comfort of your home without the public and then get feedback, you could overcome some of the fear that way. The actual fear is not the public but making a fool of yourself in public.
    That may be another route to take also, albeit with a different site. How about a sales training site "Pitchmeifyoucan.com". Sales people make sales pitches and get critiqued. Or sermon critique. Or new car sales. There are endless posibilities with video.