WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

SBA holding me back?

rusmanrusman subscriber Posts: 7
edited December 2007 in Business Planning
Looking for some advice on what step to take next.

I spoke to my local SBA about starting a business and they basically told me they wanted to see a business plan before helping me. Once I get this completed they would review it and offer advice on it, as well as set me up with legal counsel and CPA.

While I will be completing the business plan, I`m looking to get moving on a few things, one of them being registering the business with the state as soon as I can and also talk to a Patent/Copyright attorney. Should I go ahead and find these individuals, or do I need to wait for the plan to be completed? I would get a discount on rates through any referrals from the SBA, but I don`t know if I should wait.

Thanks.

Comments

• rusmanrusman subscriber Posts: 7
    As always Craig, you have great advice =).
    I probably should get the plan completed and then seek professional advice. At least that way I should be able to answer whatever question they ask and not just `think` I have it all in my head.
  • rusmanrusman subscriber Posts: 7
    Thanks. More great insight, Craig. I am terrible about a to do list and have learned to write things down otherwise I`ll forget something!! I`ll take the hint here .

Winston, I do already have the domain name registered and am planning to register my company name as soon as I can. I`ll check into SCORE this week.

Thanks!