WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

The Truth About Pop-ups

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited June 2007 in Marketing
Unless you`ve been living in a cave during the Internet revolution, you`ve no doubt encountered pop-ups.What are pop-ups?Pop-up ads or pop-ups are a form of online advertising intended to increase web traffic or capture email addresses. Here`s how pop-ups work:When certain web sites open a new web browser window to display advertisements, the pop-up window containing an advertisement is usually generated by JavaScript, but can be generated by other means as well.A variation on the pop-up window is the pop-under advertisement. This opens a new browser window, behind the active window. Pop-unders are less intrusive, and are not seen until the desired windows are closed, making it more difficult for the Internet user to determine which website opened them.How did pop-ups originate?In the early days of the World Wide Web, banner ads were the most popular revenue generators. However, in the wake of the dot-com crash, prices paid for banner advertising click-thru`s plummeted and banner advertising lost most of its appeal and effectiveness. As a result, many marketers began to investigate more effective advertising methods. Pop-up ads by their very nature are difficult to ignore or overlook. In fact, pop-up ads are much more effective than the original banner ads - up to a 15% click-thru rate, compared to .3% for banner ads. Even pop-under ads have a click-thru rate of 6.5% (Source: New Architect, Feb. 2003).However, all of the economic advantages of using pop-ups notwithstanding, I personally refuse to use pop-ups on my website.Why? Two reasons:1. Just because a marketing method is proven to be effective, doesn`t mean I should necessarily use it. I also have a moral obligation not to do anything to annoy visitors to my website, and pop-ups are clearly annoying to many people.2. I hate pop-ups. I think they`re both annoying and intrusive. I also think businesses that use pop-ups are exhibiting a blatant disregard towards the very people they depend on for their livelihood.Besides that, the number of people whom don`t like pop-ups is too large ignore in my opinion.This is evidenced by the huge number of pop-up blockers available both commercially and for free.In addition, many of these types of ads have scripts in them that can crash browsers.Can pop-ups be effectively blocked?Unfortunately, the DHTML approach of creating pop-ups is harder to block than the pure Javascript method, as DHTML is an integral part of a modern web-browser. However, even DHTML pop-ups are blockable.One of the best and most popular ways to block pop-ups is to use an add-in toolbar for Internet Explorer for Windows. The Internet Explorer 7 (with Windows XP SP2), Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, Opera and Safari browsers all have built-in pop-up blockers.In closing, first impressions are everything.. Don`t jeopardize potential sales by using tricks, gimmicks or tactics that will anger, frustrate or insult potential customers. In the end, it`s just not worth it!
Dale KingDKing2007-6-18 18:52:36

Comments

• Options
    bertbert subscriber Posts: 12
    I see very few good reasons to use pop ups for advertising.  I don`t read them myself.  I just figure out the fastest way to get rid of them without reading them when they show up.
  • Options
    InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    DKing wrote: "In closing, first impressions are everything.. Don`t jeopardize
    potential sales by using tricks, gimmicks or tactics that will anger,
    frustrate or insult potential customers. In the end, it`s just not
    worth it!"How do you reconcile this statement with the content of your other posts? In some of your other posts you absolutely advocate the use of tricks and gimmicks. Here you say it`s bad.