WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

I need feedback on my website

smurph05smurph05 subscriber Posts: 2
edited March 2007 in Website Critique
My web site is finished and I would like to know what other people think of my site. I feel like  I might be a `proud parent` who is blind to the faults of the site. Some feedback from my fellow SUN members would be greatly appreciated!www.northwoodsstateofmind.com
smurph052007-3-15 15:23:41

Comments

• smurph05smurph05 subscriber Posts: 2
    These are all very good points. Thank for telling me about the site not fitting your screen, I thought that was just my sons computer settings. It fits mine just right but I have a larger screen. I will definately look at the situation with the links and see if I can come up with a solution. Good point about the tabs, I will have to rethink and consolidate them. 
    smurph052007-3-17 18:36:59
  • InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    Very nice ... could use a bit of sharpening with respect to the copywriting. Great job on the look/feel and overall presentation. Did you ever live in Minnesota? It reminds me very much of Minnesota. I think you`ve done an excellent job!
    We are former residents fo the wonderful Woodbury, Minnesota...I really do miss that place!
  • InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    That doesn`t surprise me! The site feels very Minnesota, northwoods, that whole thing. Which is good. Great job conveying the northwoods sort of brand feeling. I have a very cabin-like home in Excelsior on a heavily wooded lot ... on a lake ... could I get more Minnesotan?
    nhgnikole - what browser do you use? How do you know the jumping thing is due to the coding and what do I do about it? I am talking to the people who are helping me with my site tomorrow about adjusting the size so that it fits most screens. Will that help the `below the fold` problem?
    OK, I took the alphabet search bar off. Some of the other stuff I will have to have somebody do for me. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I am curious to know what browsers you all are using. I use Firefox and Safari and I have never experienced the tabs `jumping`. However, you have convinced me that this is a real problem because a couple of you have mentioned it. I am wondering if it your browser? Just a thought. I need to make sure my site works with all browsers. 
    smurph052007-3-17 18:36:36
    Here are the changes I have made so far: I removed the alphabet search bar, I deleted the `products`` tab along the top of the navigation tabs, and I redirected the `home` tab to the landing page instead of the random products page. I cannot figure out how to redirect any other links to the `home` page though, they will still take you to the random products page...uugghh! Hopefully the site will get resized today....as for the jumping tabs and the unreadable font, I will have to have someone more experienced help me with that. Thanks to everyone for helping me polish the site!
    I changed the number of vertical columns from two to one and I am wondering if the site is now fitting entirely on your monitor without having to scroll left.I need to figure out how to make my `request information tab larger and more eye catching. Perhaps I should change the name to `newletter` and start an e-zine as was suggested.
    I`m going to try to figure out how to change the font size and color for the navigation tabs. That could be awhile before I figure that one out. Your point about the SEO copy and the product descriptions is right on target. I have started to change the copy on the products to include more keywords. I never thought about adding copy to the resources page, I really like that suggestion. Here is an example of my status as a `noob` ...I just found out today that my shopping cart automatically generates meta tags if the `keyword` field has been used. Needless to say, mine are empty...I didn`t know what that field was for at the time I was building my site! I`ve got so much to learn.......
    smurph052007-3-17 18:36:24