WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Marketing to the ’Boomers’

EranAvitalEranAvital subscriber Posts: 11
edited February 2007 in Marketing
The Baby Boomers segment, the age group of 45 - 61 has been identified by market researchers as "the most valuable market in the world".
Where are the best places to advertise online to the boomers?  
How do I reach that crowd?
Have a great day!
EranAvital.com Jewelry!

Comments

• Options
    EranAvitalEranAvital subscriber Posts: 11
    Hello Craig,
    First a little confession:
    Ever since I`ve joined SUN, I have been following yours and some others `insights` on many of the topics, I find them very interesting and its always a pleasure reading them!
    I am marketing jewelry through my website www.eranavital.com</A>  . Marketing Jewelry online in general is not easy, their are thousands of jewelry websites out, many do make it and of course its very rewarding if you make it... In order to get there one just has to "push his way " through the crowd to get to the front.
    When I seek advice people tell me that I have to "target a certain market" - yet the question is - when it comes to jewelry anyone can be a potential buyer! So how does one target a certain market?
    I have been reading some recent studies that show that there are two different age groups when it comes to buying jewelry. The first group are those from ages 25-40,  and the 2nd group are those from ages 40-65. Both groups have an eqaul number of buyers, however studies have shown that the 2nd group of ages 40-65  spend more money on the jewelry itself then the first group age. The first groups focus is mainly on wedding bands and engagement rings, the 2nd group focuses on necklaces, bracelets and so on... which is more expensive.
     Based on these studies I am trying to define my `target market`. The qeustion now is - where to advertise? What should our approach be towards maketing to this segment?
    I am fresh meat when it comes to internet marketing, so any advice is a blessing.
    EranAvital.com Jewelry!
     EranAvital2007-2-13 17:14:53
  • Options
    NicoleCNicoleC subscriber Posts: 18
    I don`t know if this will help but Met Life`s Mature Market Institute compiles various research information on baby boomers:
    nerator/0,1674,P2801,00.html?referer=http://www.metlife.com/ Applications/Corporate/WPS/CDA/PageGenerator/0,4132,P9313,00 .html
    Hope it helps.RealtorNicole2007-2-13 22:28:40
  • Options
    keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Where are the best places to advertise online to the boomers?  How do I reach that crowd?
    Well, I don`t know how you discovered the "boomers" to be a lucrative market, but the conclusion is correct.
    Based on your questions in your orginal post, it doesn`t appear to me that you have gone much further than you have a source for jewerly and you know you want to sell to boomers. You will need to do a lot more home work.
    Do you have your business plan completed? Your marketing plan?
    I believe you will also discover that boomers don`t shop like the younger crowd - in person OR online. I believe you will make a big mistake if you put all of your advertising to online resources. Boomers shop differently.
    If you`re targeting a high-end market, you better get in a "high-end" frame of mind ... Go Big, or Go Home. High-end requires high-end look and feel. High-end "touchpoints." High-end print material. High-end advertising.
    I must ask, ""Are you ready to play BIG?"
    R@
  • Options
    InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    All this talk is making me feel very old!
  • Options
    InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    Can we remove the "very"? I`m halfway to being "very" old.