WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Help, I’m Surrounded by Jerks!

RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
edited January 2007 in Office Workers
Did any of you read Stephanie Rosenblum`s article by that title in the NYT on Jan 18 about the categories of kinds of people you`re surrounded by at work? It was a great read.Options include:"Indecisive""Know-It-All""Agreeable""Complainer""Silents""Sherman Tanks""Aggressivists""Negativists""Bull Dozers"Any of these labels make sense when you look around at work?

Comments

• sarahleighmsarahleighm subscriber Posts: 3
    Rich,
    Since I work from home my "Co-workers" are my kids...has she met them
    before??? Or is she also describing the typical teenage boy!
    Cheers
    Sarah
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    sarah,what would be the label for each of your kids?!
    rich
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    I am with you Kathy. I can truly be those characters on occasion too.
  • sarahleighmsarahleighm subscriber Posts: 3
    All 3 of my boys are perfectly described by the list, especially the Know it
    all!!
    Cheers
    Sarah
  • ModJulieModJulie subscriber Posts: 1
    Maybe we should all be thanking these "types."  For many of us, they were one of the biggest reasons we finally took the leape to START IT UP!
    Julie
    nhgnikole,i have never worked in a "cube farm", so i haven`t been surrounded by these various kinds of characters on a daily basis. although... given startupnation`s growth and the fact that we`re about 20 people now, here`s a snapshot of the types i`m noticing around me:"sensational!" (do you know who that would be?)"can do!" (that`s liz)"usability!" (that`s brian, our web guy)"google-friendly" (that`s chuck)"big idea!" (that`s my bro, jeff)"lightning!" (that`s kathleen)and many others... i think i`m pretty lucky...
  • TheBackupManTheBackupMan subscriber Posts: 0
    Should we be considered cube farmers or cube crops?  I suppose the business managers would be the cube farmers.
    I have one foot in the entrepreneurial world, and one foot in the cubicle.  I have been told by my business advisor that I have chosen the toughest road to travel. 

I have one foot in the entrepreneurial world, and one foot in the cubicle.  I have been told by my business advisor that I have chosen the toughest road to travel.  yes, grasshopper(-!), it is a tough road. but i would choose this road if i were not sure of the prospects of my side business and if i needed that sure-thing paycheck no matter what. until the side business shows that it`s a winner, while tough, you sound like you`re on the right road.
  • TheBackupManTheBackupMan subscriber Posts: 0
    Thanks Rich.  I`ve been dancing to this tune for many years, and in the last 12 months have made a lot of progress to dance my way out of my cubicle. 
    Setting goals and networking like mad have been two things that have really pushed me toward the door and into my home office!

LOVE ticket`s name! i have two "Cookie Pleases" at my home.i also loved "Oh no..." - great character sketch!at home, my wife is constantly advising me on strategy. instead of being a "I have an idea," maybe she`d be called a "I have a better idea!"
  • NicoleCNicoleC subscriber Posts: 18
    I have been blessed with: "Cookie please" (siberian husky); "Sunshine" (coworker who I have only seen down once in the past two years); "That was easy" (or at least the office secretary makes multitasking look easy); "Realize the moment and make it count" (coworker); and "Apple of my eye" (teenager).

• nothinglikeitnothinglikeit subscriber Posts: 27
     I guess I`d be the Outspoken Loudmouth. Not a problem at work except I`m constantly in trouble. 
  • KarelGKarelG subscriber Posts: 4
    Well, even though I still work in Corp. America and share an office, I guess I`m really lucky because all the people I work with are:

Patient
    Thoughtful
    Jovial
    Accepting
    Kind
    I know my work team is unusual and that is why I`m choosing to stay in Corp. America for a few more years.  I`ve never worked in a team so great, so even thought the cost of living in California is killing me, I`m going to stick with it.  Maybe in a few years, I`ll think of an idea I can sell. 
    I`m not sure that I could be an good entrepreneur because I`m not a good buyer.  I don`t mean that I`m not good at buying, actually, I`m just really good at Not Buying.  I probably should be the gate-keeper on Elevator Pitches because, although I won`t shoot you down, the likelihood that you can get me to buy is probably pretty low.