WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Small Business Inquiry/Focus Group Questions

NicoleCNicoleC subscriber Posts: 18
edited June 2007 in Thought Leadership
1) As a small business owner what circumstances would motivate you to hire someone to: coordinate special events; create or update your business website; prepare mailing lists; prepare direct mailing campaigns for your business; conduct research; write press releases; coordinate media buys; and/or create a marketing plan customized to your businesses goals, objectives and mission statement?2) As a small business, what do you believe would be a reasonable, affordable price to pay for such services?
3) What objections would you have to outsourcing one or all of the above services?

Comments

• InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    With respect to event planning ... I have no objection to outsourcing... and list assembly... I have no objection to outsourcing... media buys... I have no objections. Provided the firm or firms in question are well-credentialed or reasonably experienced or both.
    But outsourced marketing is another story.
    Marketing requires an in-depth understanding of competitive strategy, communication, strategy in general, the market environment, the current business environment, design fundamentals, branding, psychology, etc.
    If the web sites, brochures, and in-person pitches are any indication, most marketing consultants know absolutely nothing about marketing. They think "marketing = bag of tactics", never mind whether the industry in question is having a great or terrible year.
    The near total incompetence demonstrated by most marketing consultants would be my objection to any sort of outsourced marketing.
  • NicoleCNicoleC subscriber Posts: 18
    Craig: LOL!  Thank you I needed a good laugh. 
    Craig & Cookiemonster, thank you for your posts.  They contain the brutally honest feedback I was hoping to find here! Please keep it coming.

I am hoping to obtain an objective end user view of outsourcing marketing services to combine with some formal market research.  At present, I coordinate my own events; write my own press releases; create my own direct mail peices; conduct my own research; write my own marketing plans; and engage in many low-cost marketing tactics in an effort to grow my own business.  Although what I do feels natural to me, there are a number of people from within my industry who pay assistants and/or services to do what I do on my own because they don`t know how to do it themselves.  
    Not only am I seeing an untapped market in my industry; but I was recently approached by someone I have known for years. They have asked me to market their business.  They told me they have watched me market my business; the programs at my previous employer; and my ex`s business which is the same as theirs.  Granted the economic times were much better when I marketed my ex`s business; and marketing his business wasn`t difficult as he provided quality work at affordable rates.  Plus his competition didn`t market themselves well so it wasn`t difficult to get a foot in the door, prove value of service and triple his business three years in a row.  Bottom line, I am gathering data to help me make some informed decisions in the near future.
    If opportunity were to knock any louder it wouldn`t need a mega phone.  However, opportunity isn`t equivalent to vision, preparation or market demand. There are many factors to consider such as: competition; competitive advantage; talent pool for subcontracting work to; demand for services; local economy; etc.   With the help of feedback, formal research, interviews of inhouse marketers and a written business plan this preliminary evaluation should provide sufficient information to make an informed decision.

Craig,
    Based on my preliminary research it doesn`t appear that anyone in my area is targeting the market segment I am interested in.  On the contrary their websites appears to be geared toward established large companys or speciality niches (life sciences, bio med technologies, etc.)  
    I would love to help average people  reach potentials they never thought possible.  Although I probably would not turn down some Madison Avenue bucks, pragmatically I am prepared to be content with a very modest income which covers both my overhead & living expenses.  NicoleC2007-6-19 1:40:44