WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Aspiring Mediator

SolutionsMediationSolutionsMediation subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2007 in Business Planning
Hello...  I am in the process of starting up a Mediation Services business.  I was curious as to how, as someone who is not an attorney, I should go about directing business / clients my way in an industry that, from what I understand at this point, is driven through legal-professional channels.  Thank you!

Comments

• NicoleCNicoleC subscriber Posts: 18
    Dear Solutions Mediation,
    Does your local Chamber of Commerce offer a leadership program?  The reason I ask is because my local chamber does and part of their leadership program`s curriculum included an introduction to mediation via role playing and a brief explanation of what it is.  It was an excellent way for 30+ business/community leaders to learn who to call if they ever needed to mediate disputes between collegues or with vendors/customers. 
    Does your local community college and/or court system offer civil judiciary mediation certification classes?  The reason I ask is because upon completion of the mediation certification classes the participants in the area I live are able to contact the local court system and inquire about requirements to mediate various civil disputes.  If they met all of the court`s requirements then their names are added to a list of court approved mediators. 
    One last suggestion is to introduce your services to the local human resources departments and small business owners.
  • SolutionsMediationSolutionsMediation subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi RealtorNicole!  That is great advice!  THANK YOU!!  I was thinking today while doing dishes that joining/connecting with the local CoC would be a great networking idea. 
    I will definitely look into local scholastic and professional mediation certification programs.  I know that the Ohio Mediation Association (which I plan to join) does offer training seminars, also.  I plan on obtaining hours of training and certification over the coming year prior to officially launching my business.
    Again, thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my inquiry!
  • katscoolcorner1katscoolcorner1 subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello Solution Mediatation,
    One way to do it is to become the perceived expert in your field by writing articles on mediation and submitting them on-line.  With each article you can include your contact information.  A couple of great places to submit articles online (one is paid the others are free) --Ezinearticles.com, Ideamarketers.com, and Articlemarketer.com ($299 for lifetime membership)
    Also find places that may benefit from you speaking on your topic to a club or university or community source, or submit articles or a column to your local newspaper.  Become the go to person for mediation. 
    Also find e-zines (online newsletter that may cover mediation as a topic) that you can place small classified ads for your service.
    Kat.