WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How do you develop your leadership skills?

PeerSightPeerSight subscriber Posts: 7
I just finished commenting on the new SUN "10 Steps to Growing Your Business" checklist.....which I think is well done.....however the one area I thought needed a bit more focus was the area of leadership. You can read my post there so I won`t repeat it here but my question for the "Nation" is:
If leadership is the single most important variable in business growth, and the skills for starting a business are in most cases not the skills for growing a business. Then:

How do you know which ones you need help in?
Where do you go for development?
How do you make sure you are making progress?
Thanks
Steve

Comments

• Options
    NicoleCNicoleC subscriber Posts: 18

I read business related articles online, in the Wall Street Journal, the Harvard Business Review, etc. 

How do you know which ones you need help in?
    In the past I used a personal coach to help me identify my strengths and weaknesses.  Now I use statistics from my business endeavors to identify my strengths and weaknesses. 

Where do you go for development?
    Where I go for development depends on the development need.  Sometimes I can find the answer in a business book or online.  Other times to develop new skills I need a contuning education class from either a professional organization or college/university.

How do you make sure you are making progress?
    I measure my efforts in comparison to the return on investment.  For example, if I am spending "X" number of hours at a specific task then the "desired outcome" should be increasing.  If it isn`t then either I am measuring the wrong variables or I am in need of specific training to strengthen my competencies. 
  • Options
    BookerBrinleyBookerBrinley subscriber Posts: 0
    It is necessary for a leader to have good skills. This post is very helpful for those who want to develop their leadership skills which are required in any organization.