WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

New to Startup

BananabeanBananabean subscriber Posts: 2
edited October 2007 in New Member Welcome
Hello Everyone,
Just joined the community. So excited to be here!
Have a small indian (see Asian) jewelry business I started after a visit to the homeland 2 years ago.   After much thought, a lot of research and a few mistakes I bought and sold my first assignment.  I haven`t looked back since.
Love doing it - the shows, selling, hearing positive comments on my display and products (and constructive criticism too)and mostly meeting people in the process. The jewelry is made in India and I have a fabulous vendor who I am working with that I found there. The designs are often one of a kind and unique.
Am wanting to take it further - start an  ecommerce website, so doing lots and lots of research at the mo.  Soooo much info. out there - its hard to absorb it all - logo, design, payment types, web hosting, which co., shipping choices, writing the blurb, taking pictures, uploading, designing. 
Does anyone have any advice? Pitfalls? Anything????
Open to suggestions...
Bananabean14

Comments

• BananabeanBananabean subscriber Posts: 2
    Thanks so much.   Appreciate your comments.
    Will be looking into your ref`s.  Thanks for the tip on Paypal.  I had heard rumors...
    I thought you had to go w/just one co. for everything.  Hosting, web design, logo, domain registrations, etc.....as Yahoo business site offers.  What about logo design?  And stock pics. for my site (not jewelry, but background)?  Where does one go looking for logos? 
    For pictures of my jewelry...what`s the best way to do that?  I have taken scans of pendants and necklaces,  which come out great, but earrings are a bit trickier since they have the posts and the image blurrs a little. 
    Banabean14
    Thanks again, Gerald,
    Yahoo is steep, but their business ecommerce services offer everything in one parcel.  Trying to find a co.to execute my name/logo....now that`s expensive  (which I`ve designed).  Additionally once all the ground work is done and the site established - its getting people to the site.  Isn`t that the most difficult part? 
    Anyway, thanks for your input. 
    Its a bit like going back to elem. school!  Its a whole new learning process - for me anyway.  Perhaps others are more conversant in computerspeake.
    But...I`m learning something new...and on my own...so no complaints there!

• LtresselLtressel subscriber Posts: 3
    Hi Bananabean,May I make a suggestion when you are taking the pics of the earrings.  Try the "macro" setting on your digital camera. Make sure you have a tripod to keep the camera steady and also have a good lighting.  This should alleviate the blurriness. Pro-photographers will probably contest this because I`m not a pro just an avid amateur.  Anyway, this is if you want to save a few bucks if you don`t want to hire a product photographer.  I know what it`s like to be on the budget when you are just starting out.Good luck on the photos....let me know if the trick worked for you.Lizette
    Hello Lizette
    Appreciate your comments.  I have a tripod - I`ll try that.
    How would you save the pics? Is there a certain size that they should be saved with so that they are easily uploadable? I`ve been using JPEG to date.
    Neelam
  • LtresselLtressel subscriber Posts: 3
    Jpeg or Tiff should be fine. Use at least 3 MP settings.Good Luck!Lizette
  • AndrewCAndrewC subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi, I would like to share with you some tools and resources that will help you kick off your marketing through the web. It includes free clipart and web templates and lots of other web ebooks and softwares as well. Check out the resources at business-marketing-tips.comAndrew
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    Hi, I would like to share with you some tools and resources that will help you kick off your marketing through the web. It includes free clipart and web templates and lots of other web ebooks and softwares as well. Check out the resources at business-marketing-tips.comAndrew
    andrew, it would be great (and more consistent with what we`re seeking to accomplish with our forums) if you would provide your advice here rather than sending people to a sales offer website. so, let`s hear your advice for this new member! thanks.
    Thanks Andrew,
    I appreciate the input on the tools available, but advice on routes to take and  potholes to avoid would be great too.....I`m looking for the light at the end of this long infomation tunnel. Phew!
    Neelam
    PS I`ll look up the website too - need any pointers I can get.
  • AndrewCAndrewC subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Neelam,I`ve faced with the same problems like you faced right now. Information overload. That`s why I`m sharing the resources that I purchased and have the rights to share with others, which means it is FREE for you to use such as clip-arts & web templates that you can use. However, my advice for new beginners like when I started off, I highly recommend Sitesell (http://www.sitesell.com which will handle most of the technical stuff such as hosting, domain, research, autoresponder and it also helps you to promote to the search engines. It also comes with video guide to teach you step by step how to build your website as long as you know how to use Microsoft Word. I would recommend you get your site up as soon as possible because this is just beginning and the most important is to be able to let others find your site. Wish you have a great success.AndrewBusiness-Marketing-Tips.com
    Thanks Andrew,

I`m so lucky to have you and the others who have taken the time to write and give me information and advice.  So appreciate it as I plough through it all.

I was just thinking that I should maybe put the launch of the website on hold, since I have a few shows coming up and am really getting busy with all the preparation.  Perhaps I should strike while the iron is hot and plough ahead anyway....I`ll try Sitesell and what it offers.

Thanks again,

Neelam

PS..I`m conversant with Micro Word.   I`m getting a handle on Publisher too....at last...getting flyers, invites printed.

• RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    Bananabean,

i`d love to highlight your progress on our radio program. would you consider this? please private message me with contact information if so...

thanks!

rich
    Hello Lizette,

It seems an age since I touched base w/SUN. 
    I have  been really busy trying my hand at taking pictures, editing them as per your recommendations, and finally taking the plunge and signing up with GoDaddy for webhosting.  However the last month has been horrible since the whole setting up procedure was more painful than having kids.  I thought the template/pictures which I had spent days and weeks trying to get right turned out looking like ants on the site.  I ended up cancelling the whole deal with them and have started with Yahoo! bus. solutions.  Don`t know if this is going to work, but I am more hopeful now.

Anyway just wanted to thank you for your input.  I put it to good use and have a much clearer idea on how to manipulate the pictures.

Neelam