WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How Effective is a Federal Suppliers List in Marketing?

BananabeanBananabean subscriber Posts: 2
edited December 2008 in Marketing
I have just been solicited by a Federal Suppliers Listing co.  They say they are the only ones who list all the suppliers that the Government is in need of and has  a quota for the year.

My question is: Why would they need me....I`m a jewelry vendor, very small...apart from being a minority - on both counts of gender and race.
Can anyone shed any light on this and let me know what advantages there are of being on this suppliers list and if anyone out there has any experience with them?

Thanks,
Neelam

Comments

• nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Hi BannanaBean,
    I would be suspicious.  The information you provided makes me think this is just another con.  I would check this company out before making any reply to them.
  • ErgoPTErgoPT subscriber Posts: 0
    I was just contacted by Federal Suppliers Guide. They state their directory is for small and minority businesses specifically for Federal contractors who are required to purchase services and supplies from small and minority owned businesses. I am having trouble getting specific information about the company. The website has lots of information but no realiable testimonials. Any thoughts?
  • nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Hi,
    Me again.  I checked the company out with the Better Business Bureau.  The BBB has registered 10 complaints against the company within the last 3 years.  I also could not find any real information on the company outside of their own web site.
    nevadascul12/2/2007 12:56 PM
  • trainme2trainme2 subscriber Posts: 0

Hi,Me again.  I checked the company out with the Better Business Bureau.  The BBB has registered 10 complaints against the company within the last 3 years.  I also could not find any real information on the company outside of their own web site.
    [/QUOTE=trainme2]
    They just contacted my business today and quoted me $600 + per year to
    get on their list.  Doesn`t the government pay for services like this
    instead of private companies making us pay?  After reading Nevadascul`s
    post, I declined their offer.  Thanks!
  • abusybeeabusybee subscriber Posts: 0
    I work for a company that has purchased advertising in the federal suppliers guide.  I can honestly tell you that I handle government contracts, alot of which we have because of federal suppliers. 
    There are specific governments laws that say that purchases by the government that are under the threshold of $ 100,000 have to be given to small businesses. Federal Suppliers just makes it easier for the gov. to find you and buy from ya! 
    Hope I helped, it is a good program though, I would recommend it.
  • trainme2trainme2 subscriber Posts: 0
    This is the best news I`ve heard, thank you.
  • edwardoedwardo subscriber Posts: 0
    You may be interested in this post: http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/So-You- ... Site!.aspx

It sounds very, very (did I mention very?) dubious.
  • rusmanrusman subscriber Posts: 7
    I guess the moral of the story is the old adage: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  • ProfessionalListsProfessionalLists subscriber Posts: 1

They probably purchased a list of new businesses that are registered as minority or disabled owned...   These businesses get special attention from the federal market.  However they should be looking in SIC Codes relevant to government sales and it sounds like they did not do this.

Many list companies just sell a list to get the head counts.  That is why the industry is startnig to get a bad name.

Companies such as ours ensure that the lists we sell are statistically relevant so that our customers get more sales, many however don’t!

Hope this helps to explain how/why you were contacted.

• awakeinnewyorkawakeinnewyork subscriber Posts: 0
    Well I`ve done the research on this company and I was impressed.  I am a business owner in new york- woman owned of course.  I started my business a little over 2 years ago and in my 3rd month of business I received a phone call from federal suppliers.  I was extremely leary of a telephone solicitation but at the same time my curiosity was peaked ($600 is a  lot for a start up company)  I researched the company up and down.  Yes they have bbb complaints but they were resolved.  A company doing what they do for 10 years and only 10 complaints????  With most of them satisfied, I thought that was pretty good.  My a/c guy has triple the complaints and I love the guy. Anyway,I called 2 references and figured hey its a lot less then the yellow pages!!!   Well I just renewed and went with a half page and went into the new jersey  book.  The best part is this list with all the contacts numbers that get the book, I did a mass email and that could have helped too.     Just thought I`d share
    awakeinnewyork6/16/2008 10:34 PM
  • a2zdistroa2zdistro subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi awakeinnewyork.
    How do you use your federal suppliers guide or have you received any calls or buisness from buyers who are using the guide??
    I see you just posted your comment recently.. So I was just wondering.. I`ve rec`d calls from them for over a year.. I know a few gov`t contracting/purchasing agents for big agencies and they never heard of the guide or don`t even where they can get one to buy stuff from so I am truly skeptical!!!

Any info would help out.. Thanks.
    a2zdistro3/31/2008 10:45 AM
  • mrwealthmrwealth subscriber Posts: 1
    I`m glad you did your research you saved yourself a lot of heartache and money...I lost money in my first two years not doing due diligence research. Great experiences we learn in our start up years.
  • AzselendorAzselendor subscriber Posts: 0
    these guys hit up my business and several of my clients for ads.  I was quoted around 600, another one was quoted 700, and a third was quoted 2000 for advertising in the guide.
    When we asked for references, samples, and ROI information, we were stonewalled.  They called us a month or two to see if a new decision had been made.  Then they stopped.    They operated all the ways a real company shouldn`t in the calls.  They claimed ot be a huge publishing house with many agents and offices, yet none could stop by to present their product.  They couldn`t send us a catalog.  Then they stopped calling.
    And a few months afterwards, I saw the story on the DailyWTF and emailed it to all of my clients warning them of this company.
    They don`t have gov`t access as far as I can see, just an online catalog hidden and buried and someone posting positive reviews to inflate their business reputation.
    I don`t mean to sound mean spirited, I just tend to be a bit blunt with shady companies
  • needaherotosavemeneedaherotosaveme subscriber Posts: 0
    I just wanted to put some input on this matter. From personal experience I have used this publication in obtaining certifications that were imperative to do government work and I have seem much more income since I have been using their service. I also have had an advertisement with them in this guide for going on 6yrs. now and have found that when you do business with a private agency to make sure you understand how their program works. I received a list of all the government agencies in my local area and all their phone numbers, e-mails and contact info. which they send to you when you sign up or for me when I renew every year. this list to me is made of gold and I have obtained several hundred contracts from using it. I feel that anyone who is looking to let this company help you increase your small business revenue then it has 2 thumbs up from me!!!!
  • needaherotosavemeneedaherotosaveme subscriber Posts: 0
    Reply to VeridicalRS 4/3/2008:

I again have to disagree. The solicitations on sites like fedbizopps are for any business to use. The information that the Federal suppliers Guide company has sent to me is specialized primarily for smaller businesses like mine. I have a very small outfit- less than 15 full time employees and feel the Government officers info they gave to me was and has continued to be very valuable information for my business. Like everything I did my research and decided to use their services due to wanting more revenue for my business. I examined their program with great discrepancy and evaluated the different outcomes. Even before taking advantage of their services $600.00 a year really wasn`t that much to risk throwing out there and hoping it would come back to me considering I have in the past spent approx. that much every MONTH for advertising. I am still going to put my good comments out there for this company. I have seen MUCH return and plan on using them ALWAYS!!!