WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

www.getvive.com - Web Dev, Branding

BanaroBanaro subscriber Posts: 1
edited December 2007 in Website Critique

Hi everyone,
First of all, I want to say thank you to all of you SuN members for keeping this site alive. I love community and podcasts.
GetVive is a web development and branding company located in Brick, New Jersey. All information about us can be found on our website (http://www.getvive.com/) so it doesn`t make sense to copy it here. Please take some time, review it and tell me what you think. Every little piece is important - graphic design, code, SEO, hosting performance etc.
WEBSITE ADDRESS: http://www.getvive.com/
I really appreciate your help. Thank you in advance.
Tomasz Banas

Comments

• Options
    topthoughttopthought subscriber Posts: 0
    Banaro,
    Overall I thought the site was above average. Blue is always a safe color, which is a positive and a negative. It feels very much like a template that was purchased from a template site. If your business is creating sites for others, then I would expect to see something a little more...well...more.
    Pros:Non-offensive look and feel.Navigation is easily accessed and visible at all times.Toll-free phone number is well placed and refreshing to see.I liked the contact us page. Specifically the map. Very clean.
    Cons:I don`t see any compelling reason to use Flash for the header. All of the visual effects could be reproduced using other standard (DHTML/JavaScript) techniques.The animation on the logo icon is distracting. It was drawing my eye away while I was trying to read the content on the site.The Last Project picture on the home page is not click-able. People love to click pictures.I see the online chat on a lot of sites, but I rarely see one that is actually online. When I visited your site it was offline. If you are offline more than on, it should be off your site.I didn`t understand the audio link on the About Us page at first.The Top and Back links on your Services page didn`t make sense. All of the service description pages are quite short (good), but that makes the Top link unnecessary. The Back took me back to the previously viewed page, but I expected it to take me up to a services overview page (which is a broken link, BTW).Having the 2nd nav of the Portfolio page start on the second link (websites) was weird. Switch the order of the links.You are linking to your brochure in a non-standard way which makes it circumvent the standard pdf open behavior.Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the main image in your brochure (with the plant) has an out of focus shirtless person in it, and I can see things I really don`t care to see.
    I hope that helps. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    abrummsabrumms subscriber Posts: 6
    I agree with everyone... on one level or another. Cons:I agree it does nothing to capture my attention. I agree the flash is unnecessary (especially for the download button)and I agree nipples = not appropriate for the site (the pic in the brochure)Pros:I think the printable brochure is good... IF someone needs to present this info to someone that`s not savvy (i.e. a boss, supervisor, etc.) The map is GREAT and a good touch.The 800 number is a fantastic asset and well placed on the site.What would I do?Re-think the site design.  Too many stock photos make it look like a template which, I`m assuming, you don`t want.  Do some custom graphics but don`t make them too big or flashy.  Be more clear and concise.  If I can`t get the jist of what the paragraph is about in the first sentence... I`m not going to read the rest.All in all... It`s a nice site.  Lots of people pay good money for nice sites... But you want yours to be the flagship of your company and I`m not sure nice is what you want.Cheers,Aaron
  • Options
    Topthought,
    I really appreciate time you spent reviewing our site.
    I won`t comment pros from your list. I will focus on cons because these are more important.
        * I don`t see any compelling reason to use Flash for the header. All of the visual effects could be reproduced using other standard (DHTML/JavaScript) techniques.
        - We decided to use Flash so I don`t take it as con. You are right, different technology could be used.
        * The animation on the logo icon is distracting. It was drawing my eye away while I was trying to read the content on the site.
         - I didn`t really know if that`s true. It is not distracting me, our team and friends, so I asked few people people and it`s also not distracting them. It`s only small 1-2sec animation every 5sec.     
        * The Last Project picture on the home page is not click-able. People love to click pictures.
         - You are absolutely right. We`ll work on it next week.
        * I see the online chat on a lot of sites, but I rarely see one that is actually online. When I visited your site it was offline. If you are offline more than on, it should be off your site.
         - I agree. We thought it`s a great idea to have this feature but we don`t really have time to be available online all the time or at least 50% or more. We will consider removing it.
        * I didn`t understand the audio link on the About Us page at first.
         - My partner pointed this out when it first went up so I agree. Do you think it`s suppose to be removed or just add description?
        * The Top and Back links on your Services page didn`t make sense. All of the service description pages are quite short (good), but that makes the Top link unnecessary. The Back took me back to the previously viewed page, but I expected it to take me up to a services overview page (which is a broken link, BTW).
         - I agree top and back don`t make sense. It will be removed. There is no services overview page. Once you click on services it takes you to `Custom Site Design` section. I can change default section anytime. `Our Web Services` image above vertical navigation is not suppose to be a link. It will be removed.
        * Having the 2nd nav of the Portfolio page start on the second link (websites) was weird. Switch the order of the links.
         - You are right. I changed it.
        * You are linking to your brochure in a non-standard way which makes it circumvent the standard pdf open behavior.
         - This one is not clear for me. Please explain.
        * Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the main image in your brochure (with the plant) has an out of focus shirtless person in it, and I can see things I really don`t care to see.
         - Topthought, you are good. I agree. it`s a young boy.
    Again, thank you so much for your time.
  • Options
    MkDigi,
    Thanks for good words. It`s nice to hear it sometimes. As I explained before I will focus on cons.
    1. I do think the download time is slow, probably due to a lot of the graphics and flash.  I would find a better balance between the two.
        - I do understand, there is a lot of graphic. It may be little hard to do big changes now. I checked and we had only 4 dial-up visitors in last 30 days - I hope you understand.
    2. Live help availability.
        - answered in last msg.
    Thank you again.
    Tomasz Banas
  • Options
    Hi Aaron,
    Thank you for posting here.
    1. I agree it does nothing to capture my attention.
        - We`re trying our best but it`s hard to capture everybody`s attention. Every person has different interests
    2. I agree the flash is unnecessary (especially for the download button)
        - We wanted to have a little of everything so when we meet with our clients/prospects we can show it and explain so they understand.
    3. I agree nipples = not appropriate for the site (the pic in the brochure)
        - I agree, it will be fixed.
    4. Re-think the site design.  Too many stock photos make it look like a template.
        - Whole site is built from scratch, It is not template. I don`t have an idea which photos we can remove.
    Aaron, Thank you again,
    Tomasz Banas
  • Options
    topthoughttopthought subscriber Posts: 0
    Further clarifying a couple of items you had questions on.Broken link: click Services on the main nav and then click Our Web Services on the 2nd nav. There are tools that will crawl your site and tell you if you have broken links. Google for one and use it.Pdf link: Your link to the pdf is "http://www.getvive.com/index.php/page/downloadBrochure". That link does not end in ".pdf". because of that the browser tries to download the file instead of opening it directly in Acrobat reader. That is contrary to what, I believe, most users expect, which is a bad idea.
    Also, to address the tone from some of you replies, what customers care about is business value. If you are unable to explain the value of each element on a site, then it is fluff and should be removed. Flash is traditionally expensive to develop and slow to load. I have only found a valid business reason to recommend Flash to a client on one occasion. That was to show an animated demonstration of a product. Flash was the obvious choice, not because it was neato, but because that is what it was built for.
    Also, also, I just really noticed you tag line for the first time. It is my experience that business owners, in most cases, hire web professions because they don`t know what they want. That is, besides increased revenue. They are coming to you to help them understand what they want. Just my $.02.
    Nate