WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

***Take A Guess?***

Safari1Safari1 subscriber Posts: 1
How much ($)in total do you think it takes to create the below linked site?
http://www.ratemds.com/social/Thanks to all of you in advance.SN

Comments

• VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    It all depends.On your budget.On your negotiating skills.On your expertise in HTML code.On how high is "up"?
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Well, that site was done with a CMS (content management system)  program (drupal)... so if you are so inclined you can add content without knowing HTML (assuming someone sets the basic CMS site up for you.

As Steve said - depends.... how much can or will you do, versus how much do you need others to do (for a fee).

Dupal or Joomla may not be the best choice for a website, it really depends upon what you need the site to do, what features, inter-activity, and if you need to be able to update the site with a CMS system.

~Roland
  • Safari1Safari1 subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately, I am not very IT savvy so it will have to be done by someone else.  I need it to function in a very similar manner to the linked site.  I understand there may be variables, but a rough quote should help.
    SN
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately, I am not very IT savvy so it will have to be done by someone else.  I need it to function in a very similar manner to the linked site.  I understand there may be variables, but a rough quote should help.
    SNThe answer at this point would be all over the map.  So would the results.  You could find a sharp HS kid who could do it for a few hundred dollars, or hire a really professional marketing company to set you up and do your initial marketing plan, but you will pay something north of $10,000Only *you* know what your budget is.  I will offer these tips as you shop for a web designer.1. Do NOT pay all up-front.  Pay for benchmarks met.2. You may, no should secure your domain name ASAP.  Personally, I like GoDaddy, but others have their favorites.  I want you to secure your domain name so that there is *no* argument with the sire developer who owns the domain name.  By the way, it does no good to shop for your domain name through different registrars - they all use the same database.  If you decide to trust your designer to register the domain name, make certain that your name and address are listed as the "administrative contact".3. You are free to select *any* website developer you want.  You are not, should not be bound to using your registrars designers.There are tons of web designers out there and it is a fool`s chase to look for lowest cost.  I suggest that you start by looking in the Marketplace listings here on SUN.Hooe this helps
    I`d be happy to provide you with a quote, but I would want to talk to you more about what you what to accomplish, your goals for the site, and how you see the site being maintained. I`d assume most other web designers would want more information too.
    A CMS program may be ok for you if you want to be able to add/change content, but there may be a script (pre-made program) that provides all the features you want. Such a script would save time and money because you wouldn`t need to pay someone to develop a program.

~Roland

vwebworld7/9/2008 7:42 PM
    Thanks Steve and Roland.  I have decided to order a couple of books on making websites; I will go through those and get a feel for what it really is.  It only makes sense to understand how that works (additionally it may help me prime it for SEO too) if I am in a business that heavily uses the web.
    Roland, I will be getting in touch to discuss possibilities of us working together.What does anyone think of getting a website done from India.  I`ve seen some work they have done for their American clients and it looks very professional.  Is there anything I should know about taking this route?Steve, btw, I already have a domain name which is registered under my name (and GoDaddy it was).Thanks for the support guys,SNG

What does anyone think of getting a website done from India.  I`ve seen some work they have done for their American clients and it looks very professional.  Is there anything I should know about taking this route?  There can be communications problems - misunderstandings. I have a client (not Janie - House of Jerky)  that used an Indian company, but she always had to have them correct things they did.... and repeat her instructions over and over. She finally gave up and asked me to make changes. That might have been an isolated circumstance but I image it could be a common one. There are so many qualified resources in the US, the only reason I can thing to outsource to India is if you needed a program written - which might be less expensive using an Indian firm. For course whom ever you choose to work with, you should have a good discussion about your goals and how they work, the respective responsibilities, pricing, payments schedule, etc. Finding and choosing a web developer / designer is not an easy task because there are so many choices and the prices can be extremely cheap to very expensive.  The best thing to do to get a good price and not get surprised is to make sure all the potential features and functions for your web presence are identifies (as best possible) up front. An experienced designer can help you identify those features. Janie, thank you! It`s a pleasure working with you. ~Rolandvwebworld7/10/2008 8:50 AM
    Thanks Janie.  Roland,  I`m working on what I want my site to look like and do.  As soon as I`m reasonably contented with that part I will be getting in touch, so we can discuss it in finer detail.