WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

S-Corp or LLC

MVPMVP subscriber Posts: 4
edited September 2006 in Business Planning

Hello to all,
I would like to get some advice on whether to go s-corp or llc, as I have gotten 3 different answers from 3 different accountants/attorneys.
I am starting a Property & Casualty Insurance Agency on 11/1. The main carrier that appointed me will be giving me an interest free loan for $60,000...basically $5,000 a month for living expenses. I will be on an accelerated commission plan, whereby the 1st year I will be at 25%, 2nd year 20%, and the 3rd year 15%.
Whatever policies I sell the first year, the earned premium will go back to payback the loan amount.  The 2nd year I will get no money, but the policies that I sell will be my income plus all the renewals. I will not have to pay anything back in the 2nd year, as this is waived. In the 3rd year, I have to pay back the balance of the loan.
Since it`s going to take some time to build up the book of business, I do not anticipate me making a lot of $$ the first year. Hopefully in the 2nd year things will begin to pickup and the 3rd year as well.
I underestand the LLC is a little simpler to setup, but I was more concerned about the employement taxes I would be paying vs the S-corp and if I would end up paying more taxes this way vs going as an S-corp.
I was also told that I could start-up as an llc then go to an S-Corp.
Each accountant has their own variation.
I thought I would throw this out to see what others think and maybe get some good feedback to talk to the accountant about. I`m looking to make the best decision.
Confused???
Mike

Comments

• Options
    MVPMVP subscriber Posts: 4
    First of all, thank you so much for your quick reply.  I really appreciate it!Ok, future plans:1) My hope is to bring a Customer service rep after the 1st year, or possibly sooner. My mother-in-law will be working for me when I start, inputting information and handling admin. She will be working part-time, around 20 hrs a week from her home in our development. As the business grows, I will add on another person, hopefully in year 2. I have a home office setup with all my furniture and necessary equipment. I will also have a Virtual office assistant setup at Office Suites Plus for $254.00 a month, where they will answer the phones for me from 8:30 am- 5:30 pm, transfer calls to me, and send e-mails.  I will have use of their conference room/backup office when necessary to meet clients. I may even have my wife join me between years1-2, based on how the business is doing, but right now I need her salary and benefits, as she has the major medical,dental,etc.2) At this point I don`t know if I will have any investors, because my main carrier will not let me add on similiar type carriers, until the 3 years is up. Unless, I pay back the loan earlier. To really grow my book of business I will need to get more carriers for more market share. A good friend of mine had suggested that he would like to build a building and have me get involved when the timing is right. He is a business owner, but invests a lot in real estate.3) I would think by the 3rd year of business, I would be generating 50k in net profits, but I`m still not sure. I am focusing very strong on good marketing campaigns. Of course only time will tell, but with the projections on the business plan, I should have at least $250,000 in written premium + all the renewals.4) Benefits are very important to me and I would also like to provide good benefits to the new people that come on board, due to if I don`t, the probably will go to the competition and get them anyhow. I believe in taking care of your employees and engaging them in a positive culture.I hope this clarifies some of my information.I look forward to your reply.Thanks again.Mike