WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Please Review My Website!

EFAFOOTBALLEFAFOOTBALL subscriber Posts: 1
edited October 2008 in Website Critique
I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

www.elitefootball.net

EFAFOOTBALL10/14/2008 1:47 AM

Comments

• Options
    sullivankasullivanka subscriber Posts: 0
    This is a very good site.  The music is perfect for a sports related site and the video in the center is perfect.
    If I was to make changes, it would be in the font size of:Next Season Starts TodayElite Football Academy provides year-round specialized instruction that serious football players demand. 
    It was really in my face and it doesn`t need to be because it already stands out on the black background.  Also, because of the size of the font, it seems off center. 
    Great site!
    Kathleen
    http://thesavvyva.com
  • Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    I agree on the music.  If you **must** have music, at least give viewers a way to mute it.
  • Options
    JimmyJamJimmyJam subscriber Posts: 0
    First I love the site!  

As for the music I liked it.  The other two critiquers failed to even scroll down to see that the music was coming from a video.  The video is great because it shows people what you guys do.  I wish the other two would have at least scrolled down before they wrote their critique.  If they wanted the sound muted they simply needed to hit the pause button, or turn the video player`s volume down. 

Overall I think is a great site and kids and parents will love learning about your company!

Good Luck
  • Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    "I wish the other two would have at least scrolled down before they wrote their critique."
    Music that plays unsolicited is simply not good etiquette.  Suppose the viewer is looking at the site from their desk at work?  At home after the spouse and kids are asleep?  It`s just plain rude.
  • Options
    JimmyJamJimmyJam subscriber Posts: 0
    "I agree on the music.  If you **must** have music, at least give viewers a way to mute it." -Steve Mann

My point was you both made comments on the lack of volume control.  Obviously you did not scroll down to see that it was a video playing and that there was volume control!

There are two ways to mute the music from the video. 
    1. Press Pause
    2. Use the volume control on the video player!

Have a Great Day!
    JimmyJam10/23/2008 3:15 PM
  • Options
    redfishredfish subscriber Posts: 10
    In response to all the back and forth about the music -- if they didn`t find the controls for the music then maybe there`s a problem.  They call it `bounce`.  When a user hits your website and leaves quickly -- that`s a design problem.  The two critiquer`s who left before finding those controls gave the best critique available.  They didn`t want to find the controls -- they preferred instead to find the content somewhere else.  It might be a good idea to listen to them.  Perhaps move the video up so that it`s above the fold (meaning you don`t have to scroll down to find it) and instead of automatically playing the video clip, use a call to action.  Take high traffic video sites (like youtube.com) as an example.  They don`t play video until after the user has requested to see it.
    Think of the number of scenarios - beyond what was mentioned above.  I often listen to music while browsing the web -- now I`ve got competing songs.  What about user`s who use screen reading software?  Users without speakers or who have them turned off are downloading all of the content (slowing down the connection) but aren`t getting any benefit.  Keep your users in mind.  If the video has something to offer and they are interested in the content they WILL click to see it (especially with a call to action).  But as each of these reviewers has shown, if they don`t want to see it they WILL click to stop it -- and it will usually be clicking the back button!
  • Options
    infiltainfilta subscriber Posts: 8
    Honest opinion? This site looks pretty crappy. The designer dosn`t have any talent or skill, she/he should find another job.