WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Using text messaging

redfishredfish subscriber Posts: 10
edited November 2008 in Marketing
Hi,
I`m just wondering if many small business owners have ever thought of using text messaging either for promotional/marketing purposes or to automate tasks.  I`ve begun developing software that allows for either and we`re testing it out using our church`s youth group (we can send weekly reminders, automated happy birthday notes, or reminders for permission slips and the like).
Just looking to see how it would transfer into small markets...

Comments

• Options
    SlowCookerMateSlowCookerMate subscriber Posts: 1
    It irritates the day lights out of me when I get a text message that is promotional. Hate `em.
  • Options
    MichStateMichState subscriber Posts: 0
    Hate promo texts and spam texts. Nothing worse. Plus I have to pay for that Text that I didn`t even want to receive in the first place. Most annoying form of advertising there is. I didn`t ask to receive it, its not from anyone I know, its worse than email spam, but still my cellular company does not care nor know the difference, they just know I received a text and it ends up my allowance for texts and if I am over my 200 monthly texts in my plan, then I have to pay extra for it. Hate em as well
  • Options
    But what if it was an opt-in list?
    The service I`m developing is for organizations, like sports teams, so they can send out a quick announcement, like "practice is cancelled" without having to call anyone.  It`s setup as an opt-in only.  You can`t add a user, they must add themselves (like most reputable email lists)...
  • Options
    MichStateMichState subscriber Posts: 0
    The opt in list is certainly much better, but I am wondering if there would be enough demand by teams, schools, groups, etc.
  • Options
    Well I`m developing it specifically for our church -- and I know other churches in the area would like a similar service.  But I`m just wondering if it`s worth trying to market it. 
    For example let`s say I own a small pizza shop.  I have a customer who orders a pizza on friday and I ask if they would like to be added to our "phone coupon list" where they will receive a text twice a month for specially-priced pizzas.  Then later in the month I text message that person with the weekly special.
    This saves me money because I didn`t have to send a flyer - and also I can target them at the right time.  If they came in on a friday at 8pm, then I can send out my text friday at 6pm when they`re starting to think about dinner.  Even if I sent a flyer, I can`t control when they`ll see it.  If they see it at 8am that doesn`t help my cause.
    It`s just a thought.  I have been reading about various campaigns, and there`s some very creative ideas out there.  And the conversion rates are phenomenal.