WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Critique Site For Client

JasonGJasonG subscriber Posts: 8
edited October 2008 in Website Critique
We have a client who is a virtual assistant firm.  Her website is www.tafy.biz We spruced up her site a little bit, while keeping it clean, crisp and modern at the same time and sticking with the black and white theme (that`s what they want).  I have uploaded their new site here > http://mrgr33nw3ll.startlogic.com It seems like it`s missing just a few elements, especially in the services area.  I look forward to your critiques.

Respectfully
-Jason

Comments

• NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Jason,
    When you say Client, I`m assuming you`re a web designer or developer of some sord correct?
    If so, most designers and developers use tools like DreamWeaver or NotePad [the old method]
    So why are you using a code generator? MY GENERATOR ERRORS this is your CSS file.
    Although, most html generators will generate code for you, it doesn`t mean that it`s W3C.org Compliant. I would try fixing the code, just as well as the other issues that you see missing in the web site.
  • JasonGJasonG subscriber Posts: 8
    Edgar,

No, we are not professional web designers or developers.  Our specialization is IT support, custom computer building, server maintenance, etc.  However, we have added "basic" web design to our list of services because we kept being asked if we would make just a basic site for web presence.  While we are far from professional, we have the skill neccessary to modify templates and html and host the site for them.  Our clients know that we are customizing templates, but they lack the funds to pay for professional, from scratch, site design (minimum $1200 around here).  It has payed off for us actually.  It`s a sort of back to the basics idea.

I get the feeling that you were trying to test my knowledge in your post.  However, from a visual aspect what can I add to the site to make it better <<<maybe I should have clarified that?

On another note, we do plan on adding "professional" web design to our services.  We could hire someone like you to design sites for us and we host them.  We are actually overwhelmed with clients who want web design and hosting (we use it as an upsell).  The problem is, they aren`t willing to pay more than about 200 dollars.  Understand that startups and small businesses have small budgets, and we have catered to that.  Now if later on, they want a more professional site, then I could charge them what you would charge me for you to design it.

So, with all that said.  Thank you for questioning my code, but I wasn`t helpful, sorry.  Tell me what I can do to make it more visually appealing and easy to navigate and get the point across effectively.  I will have other sites for you all to critique in the future, so now you know what I need.

And since I have your attention, we will be needing professional site design in the near future.  Maybe I can get some professional help!?

P.S.  We used Image Line Software to build the site

Respectfully,
    Jason
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    Well, I like the site.  I would make the header a little smaller because the landing page is off the screen, but that`s not a biggie.  I find the rotating "O" in the flash animation to be distracting.  Just run it once, not in a loop.
    And what`s with that tangle of what looks like something from a sink trap at the bottom of the page??
    Errors?  The validation site at http://www.javascriptkit.com/linkcheck/ only found one easily correctable error in the body.  The errors in your CSS file is that you are specifying colors that aren`t web-safe.

Edgar, No, we are not professional web designers or developers.  Our specialization is IT support, custom computer building, server maintenance, etc.  However, we have added "basic" web design to our list of services because we kept being asked if we would make just a basic site for web presence.  While we are far from professional, we have the skill neccessary to modify templates and html and host the site for them.  Our clients know that we are customizing templates, but they lack the funds to pay for professional, from scratch, site design (minimum $1200 around here).  It has payed off for us actually.  It`s a sort of back to the basics idea. I get the feeling that you were trying to test my knowledge in your post.  However, from a visual aspect what can I add to the site to make it better <<<maybe I should have clarified that? On another note, we do plan on adding "professional" web design to our services.  We could hire someone like you to design sites for us and we host them.  We are actually overwhelmed with clients who want web design and hosting (we use it as an upsell).  The problem is, they aren`t willing to pay more than about 200 dollars.  Understand that startups and small businesses have small budgets, and we have catered to that.  Now if later on, they want a more professional site, then I could charge them what you would charge me for you to design it. So, with all that said.  Thank you for questioning my code, but I wasn`t helpful, sorry.  Tell me what I can do to make it more visually appealing and easy to navigate and get the point across effectively.  I will have other sites for you all to critique in the future, so now you know what I need. And since I have your attention, we will be needing professional site design in the near future.  Maybe I can get some professional help!? P.S.  We used Image Line Software to build the site  Respectfully,Jason

Jason, I wasn`t trying to test your intelligence, I`m pretty sure you have a high understanding of technology... (you`re an IT guy) I have an IT background aswell... But the last time I messed around with a large scale Network was when Novell was used as the Login Client.. and when things used to work off of, Windows NT. The best OS Microsoft put out. Now I just do it for myself, and for small businesses but that is not my concentration, I hire to handle that for me...
    Jason, what I was trying to point out is that HTML generators don`t usually give you the cleanest code. Most of the times is only windows based, and you have to be careful because there is a large population that uses Mozilla, Safari, and Opera all are both for MAC and PC... and see here is where you run into problems, since your web sites are perhaps only IE 7.0 if lucky, they will not render correctly on any other browser... One of the problems that I am running into currently is making Javascripts work with Google Chrome...
    For it being a code generator, videographer is correct, you only have 1 HTML error which is your html 4.0 transitional tag (the header which can be fixed) and the CSS errors that are showing up right now are because the scroll bar color changer only works with Windows Browsers, loose the browser color changers and that should make your web site validate on the CSS side. but there might be other simple problems that can be addressed.
    So let me ask you? you are charging 200.00 per web site? Brother, that`s toooooo Low. I know you`re trying to make a buck but don`t kill the industry like that. I know you`re trying to help your customers but, for $200.00? you`re saturating the market. If you`d like I would be more than happy to help you, but instead of you charging your customers let me quote them, and in return you get commissions..
    Where are you located?Nuevolution10/8/2008 2:03 AM
    Thank you Edgar.  Now that`s information I need.  I actually learned something!  I actually had a lot more to say on this, but this is probably the wrong place to discuss it.

I would love to collaborate with you to be able to provide a higher level of service.  I have your yahoo ID, so we can talk more about that away from here.

But, for simplicity, functionality and getting the point across (without delving into code that the average internet user could care less about) what advice can you give me?  Comparatively I think it`s a huge step up.  Look at the site they had designed by a self designated "web designer" that worked for them compared to what we were able to produce for them.

Theirs - www.tafy.biz
    Ours - http://mrgr33nw3ll.startlogic.com

JasonG10/8/2008 2:53 AM
  • WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    I agree with the flash removal; it`s distracting.
    The top menu is set up for sub items, but most of the menu items don`t have sub items and still display a blank menu option under them when moused over ( In Firefox, anyway ). Not critical, but something to remove if you can mostly for looks.
    Update the FAQ page.
    For the Services area, maybe a brief bit of info for each item mentioned. Most of the items cover several things, so just a list like you have now is a little too general. If there is an area that is a specialty, or that your client has a long background in, maybe highlight and focus on that area, then sell the other services as add-ons. Just a suggestion.
    CraigL,
    GREAT GREAT GREAT.  Thank you for the critique.  I am making some changes now.
    Ok, I`ve made a few adjustments  Check it out HERE
    Jason,
    I was more impressed with the First copy you had. Thus, it did have flash it made it look more appealing than what you have now. Remember that as a web designer, you can`t please everyone.
    But do take critiques and compliments as an opinion and not as advise... Jason, I`ve been a designer and developer for almost 8 years [next month] and I can`t stand flash. If the flash wasn`t an issue and my eyes didn`t pick it up that`s because it`s very minimal and I can live with that.
    The only way it would stand out it`s if I were staring at your page expecting for something to pop out [like those mall pictures that you stare and cross your eyes to see what the image is.]
    Another, thing I didn`t notice the submenu drop down blanks. I thought they were part of the design, they actually look good when you hover over them. I thought it was a hover effect and not a submenu..
    Jason, I don`t know how much advanced editing your code generator allows you to do but! if you can`t really control the submenu effects, then don`t use submenus, you have plenty of room on top to add 2 more categories... Jason, submenus are used when you no longer have space on top or you have tons of information that you just can`t fit into the Menu.
    Rule of thumb, if you have less than 8 items on your menu, lay them out flat rather than submenuing the items.
    Finally, don`t be affraid to use colors. Colors when used correctly, can provide a sense of importance. Send me your files let me take a look at them..
    I agree that the flash was a little annoying....It took your attention away from the sales pitch.  Also, they are very happy with the way it is, and the average users are raving about it actually.  So, they decided that they want to keep it the way it is now.  Now, me being such a perfectionist, I see all kinds of things wrong.  However, if they are happy, I`m happy (somewhat).  But, now it`s time to revamp that old freebie microsoft office live site I had.  Here is a link to the temporary location >>  http://itsd.accountsupport.com  Now, don`t dog me too much, it`s far from a final product. 

• majenjewelmajenjewel subscriber Posts: 1
    I`m really going through these quick so I do not have much feedback to offer only my initial impression.  I think I got really distracted by the music.  I loved the visual presentation and maybe would have hung out longer quietly learning about the service being offered.  I really do not know what the business is and I love music.  So, i don`t know maybe designate a large mute icon tat I could find right away or change the music.  Just my opinion.