WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Could We Create a Business Together?

Comments

• Options
    DougsterDougster subscriber Posts: 4
    While you have good idea`s Denise, I disagree with you on what should come first.

Your idea would work well if we were all together brainstorming in a room perhaps, but in this forum I think that would only create a everlasting stall on putting together a business.

If a idea for a business is choosen first, people would know what areas they could & would excell at, or even if they wanted to become involved in such a business and we would be able to proceed at a much faster pace IMHO.
  • Options
    JeffJeff subscriber Posts: 1
    I think the recent posts from Denise, Brian, Mike, etc are all interesting and meritorious. This is not a simple process to be sure. I`m here to help facilitate this initiative in any way I can but the interest has to be there on the part of the community to make something happen. I`ll keep following along, and am willing to be more engaged at any time my engagement can be of value to the community. I would love it if somebody took the lead on this and found a way to make progress. Remember, things that seem complicated....even impossible....may be just that until someone proves otherwise. This is not simple...but I don`t think at all impossible. It just takes some drive and commitment, and if people are too busy doing other things (which is understable) then it may remain "impossible", but if someone is looking to put together a business with the resources available through this community, then I do think an opportunity exists to make it happen but only with great leadership and dedication.
    Jeff
  • Options
    rexiedexierexiedexie subscriber Posts: 97 Silver Level Member
    Hi All
    It`s great to see there are still people interested.
    I feel we went of track along the way and our biggest problem is confidential communications. I think many people are not sharing ideas or participating here because anyone could steal ideas or duplicate procedures we implement here in an open forum like this.
    Many threads ago we where looking at secure communication or forum software to facilitate this process but it all seemed to go off track.
    I feel we will never get anything going until we have a secure confidential way to communicate.
    I`m sure people here have great ideas but won`t say anything here.
    Should we go back to this step and start again?
  • Options
    rexiedexierexiedexie subscriber Posts: 97 Silver Level Member
    Mike
    You are on the right track. This type of program should be our main goal. If we started a business like this it would be of lasting benefit. It would be good to have a test program so people had to work for them self to qualify to be part of the main business.
    Mike regardless of how we do this we need owe own hosting and software for secure internal communications so people do not steel our ideas.
    Mike don`t we need this first?

• Options
    michelleFmichelleF subscriber Posts: 0
    If I had a product to offer the public, how would your program benefit me???
  • Options
    JeffJeff subscriber Posts: 1
    just had to jump in.....I think Mike is onto it.....

It seems others feel that way as well. I like the general concept, and I like the leadership I`m seeing.

I think you should take the lead on this Mike and keep moving it forward...

Nicely done...

Jeff
  • Options
    charst46charst46 subscriber Posts: 1
    I like the idea as well. As OHDenise has pointed out and from what I have seen so far on the board, it will take mostly organization. There are several departments that need to get going and individuals who have skills in those areas need to agree to head those areas.

Right off:

Finance, Marketing, and Operations are the most important at the moment.

Finance would need to, not right away, but shortly source funding, look at competitive pricing, identify operating costs, startup and development costs.

Marketing would need to identify Markets, Competitors, Pricing, Sources for Materials.

Operations: Start up costs (in coordination with Finance), production procedures, Sourcing.

Obviously this just scratches the surface. All three departments need to designate one individual to be on the product development team. No more than 6 on this or any team. It gets too unweildy. This team would identify a project to do, roll it out to the departments to begin the startup process.

Within each initial department, all the generic startup routines need to be idenified, designed, specified (time lines, responsibility, `drop dead dates`, etc...you know the ol` SMART thing).

As each is identified, the core features of each project needs to go up to the top to maintain coordination.

So who wants to sign up for what?

Charlie Stoy
    Four Rivers Coffee  
  • Options
    ijitterbugijitterbug subscriber Posts: 2

In reading the current thread regarding the issue of "building a business together", the irresistible urge to "join the fray" leads me to comment..........

In all fairness, my personal observation is that each of us undoubtedly are currently deeply involved in projects of self interest, and would seem to find it difficult to take away time from those endeavors.

I personally am in the earliest stages of "re-starting" a previously very profitable business which I foolishly sold some years ago to a buyer who, intentionally or otherwise, allowed the venture to fail and go by the wayside.  Fortunately, in the legal structuring of the sales transaction, I retained all rights to forumulas, marketing stratagies, etc. in the evenuality of such occurence transpiring.

As an unexpected "bonus", the market to which my product(s) were targeted, has now become even more expansive.  The U.S. government itself has identified this arena as being one of utmost concern. 

With that said, I do however emphatically agree that collaborative efforts directed toward any goal will generally yeild greater results than could be reasonably expected from individual efforts alone.

If anyone who reads this post would be interested in discussing possible participation, I am always open to such discussions.

Jerry  aka  ijitterbug  

• Options
    ijitterbug,

I agree. Not that teams are a panacea, they are not. But they can leverage a lot of skills with relatively minimal involvement. A key to success is to establish a few guidelines up front. Having a tolerance for vagueness helps. There will be times when one individual cannot do anything either for lack of time, skill or whatever. There will be someone else who can take that up.

There will be aspects that only an individual can do due to time, budget or other constraints. Those can readily be seen.

As you seem to have something that is already in the early stages of development, yours could be the place to start.

Charlie Stoy
  • Options
    That is fine. As in most things, those who have been down that road before typically know what to do and what not to do. As you have noted, many are busy already with business, family and life.

If it does not work here, then it does not work here.

Charlie Stoy
  • Options
    ijitterbugijitterbug subscriber Posts: 2
    Here is something that the readers of this forum might wish to "throw against the wall" and see "what sticks"!

Americans spend $40 billion a year on weight-loss programs and products.

Potentially a venture in which some might have an interest in participating.
    As I mentioned in a previous post, I’m in the early stages of "re-starting" a previously successful and highly profitable business.
    I alluded to the fact that the U.S. government has identified a highly significant health trend among the population of the United States.
    Quote from the CDC National Center for Health Statistics , " More than one-third of U.S. adults -–– over 72 million people -- were obese in 2005-2006. This includes 33.3 percent of men and 35.3 percent of women. "
    My company developed a highly efficacious, non-prescriptive, chewable tablet designed to assist those wishing to lose some of those unwanted pounds.
    During the first "rollout" of my company’s product, sales went from zero to over $1M in 10 ½ months.
    Those with interest in further information please respond.
    Jerry aka ijitterbug

• Options
    Mike,

I do know. I have worked on over 25 teams, virtual and real time. Invariably, there will be one who regardless of the situation does not carry any weight, much less their own. You would think that adults would realize the importance of all types of sharing by now, but there are a few who don`t. But with  a group of committed individuals (and you can gain commitment by attaching reward to performance) you can achieve a tremendous amount of work.

In terms of your project, having been a personal trainer, I can testify to the number of people who would love your product. Some people just genetically cannot help but gain weight while others just do not want to workout. It should go well.

Charlie
  • Options
    BootStrappinBootStrappin subscriber Posts: 0
    How is this 2007 group effort developing ........Could We Create a Business Together?
    Or has it lost its wings? 
    Sounded like a challenge, but an interesting one!
  • Options
    BootStrappinBootStrappin subscriber Posts: 0
    How is this 2007 group effort developing ........Could We Create a Business Together?
    Or has it lost its wings? 
    Sounded like a challenge, but an interesting one!
    BootStrappin7/22/2008 3:59 PM
  • Options
    DougsterDougster subscriber Posts: 4
    It has been going on so very long.
    Who knows if anything will ever get off the ground here?