WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Could We Create a Business Together?

Comments

• Options
    JWDJWD subscriber Posts: 0
    Here is an easy idea we can all participate in.
    We collectively write an ebook, "Insider Secrets from StartupNation Members." (Assuming Jeff lets us use his named trademark). the ebook can be compiled and sold on the SuN web site, all of our  collective web sites, Amazon and any of our extended sites. We can each use our own viral networks to promote.
    Anyone who has a "secret" they have learned can participate. All proceeds can be used to help fund the next "bigger " idea the group starts"
    Could be fun, helpful, and generate some start up money or fund grants ,scholarships or other help for entrepreneurs.
  • Options
    Agree with both points to the last post.   Primary use of the LLC is to avoid double taxation and to have direct flow through of profits and losses. That is why i like it better than the "C".
  • Options
    bjflanaganbjflanagan subscriber Posts: 0

To the Sloan brothers - yall need to contact the producer that does them reality show (The Apprentice)  and create an internet cable show whereas you have 4 groups of team and [...]
    The show could be exclusively shown on SUN Internet TV station...
    Well it just a thought because of all the cutbacks that are going on at the major TV network studios.

Interesting idea!  bjflanagan2006-10-29 10:41:37
  • Options
    EricEric subscriber Posts: 8
    Daniel,
    Thank you for your earlier comments. Very kind indeed. And a huge thank you for supplying that detailed list of contibutors! It will be used for sure.
    Thank you  also for bringing up the mention of the SuN name in the Project Thread. The earlier objections were to the development of a business with SuN as the focus. We are simply using SuN as a meeting place....a starting point. Consider it the equivalent of the group of us all hailing from the same University forming a group to brainstorm a business and calling it the UofI project. SuN is, after all, the force that joined us in this conversation. I think that StartupNation deserves the recognition at least to that point. The business will have it`s own name, but as we cannot name an unknown business, the project of starting the business can still be the SuN Project. Do you agree?  
    DeafCeo,
    Thank you for taking the time to read this entire thread from the beginning.
    Anybody else that has come into this thread at this point and wishes to become a part of this project, I highly suggest that you read this entire thread from the beginning as it appears to be entering the cocoon stage and about to become something entirely different. It will really help you understand how it has led to where it is today.

Katt33
    MiteyMite
    (Still open for nominations until  9pm Sunday Oct 29. Just type in the following posts ....I nominate [Your Choice Here] for Point Leader.)
    IdeasandInnovations (Mike) in an earlier thread has given deferrence to the nomination of Kat33.
    The vote for Point Leader will be posted here and run until 9pm next Friday evening. (November 3)
     By 10am Monday Oct 30, all members of this thread will be notified to vote, what it is for, and the deadline
    The duties of Point Leader are:

Organizing a standardized method that contributors will use to pitch a brief, summarized business concept that they would like to submit for vote.  
    Collect and compile concept summaries and post them on a thread for the group to review and comment AND set a date for a vote.
    Facilitate the vote.
    When the leading business concept is voted through, the Point Leader will facilitate a vote for the key management positions suited for the leading business concept.
    When each of the managment postions are assumed, the Point Leader`s duties will be fullfilled. As such is the case, the Point Leader will still be eligible for election to a management position. 
    The first order of business for management will be to work together to establish  for a vote by ALL project members, each of the possible systems of ownership.  Each system of ownership will consider methods to receive new project members (investors) and a suitable exit strategy.
    This is as detailed as we need to be at this point. If you have a business idea that you are dying to get out, be prepared to put it up for review and a vote by everyone here. The elected Point Leader will accepting your ideas by the end of next week.Eric2006-10-29 1:45:42
  • Options
    Mike! What have you done!!??
    I appreciate your enthusiasm, Really I do but you just took a HUGE mistep! We were just about to enter the process of electing a Point Leader to simplify and focus the process. (See previous entries in this thread)  
    You have just thrown a massive monkey wrench into an otherwise democratic and orderly process and took it upon yourself to generate threads that right now have no management and no focus....this is the exact problem that needs to be avoided!
    You said earlier that Katt33 has your endorsement for Point Leader, but now you have gone off half-cocked and have taken it upon yourself to fire off a slew of thread titles!
    You really need to find a way to undo this. Although brimming with energy it is entirely counter productive. 
    Up until this maneuver, I believed that we all agreed that we would agree upon the election of a Point Leader which would lead us to the formation and organization that this whole brainstorming session lacks. 
    I`m very frustrated right now. You still have the opportunity to be elected for the Point Leader position do you want to be nominated or not?  Please say so.
    I know that you were just trying to help but you have circumvented a fair and equitable elective process with your actions!
    I hope that you are able to contact a SuN website official very soon to have your Thread titles and subsequent posts retracted so that we can restore order before it`s too late.
    Please respond right here ASAP.  The time is 11:00am Sunday Morning.
    ~EricEric2006-10-29 12:17:36
  • Options
    legoyuregolegoyurego subscriber Posts: 0
    "kudos for guts"
    it`s a piece of paper needs an eraser.
    keep going with your heads up.
  • Options
    CreativeGalCreativeGal subscriber Posts: 2

Secondly, I wish to address the post by CreativeGal where she too expressed interest in RexieDexie software.

I think I need to clarify this; while I am interested to see what RexieDexie`s software can do for us, my main desire is to have a concise list of all involved, what skills they can and want to offer, and figure out how to establish the most effective teams for various tasks. 
    I have created a simplified Access db using the list that frndchps posted and added info from each person`s profile (Industry and What I Do) so that we can get a better idea of each member. 
    By the way, this list was not intended to replace frndchps` list, only to supplement it, and was mainly created to satisfy my own curiosity.  I will be glad to share this list with the group and point leaders whenever everyone wants to see it, and I realize that I might be jumping the gun here as we need to select our point leaders first.   

I will go out on a limb and suggest that creative girl also starts the second project... a version of the magizine program.

While I appreciate the idea, I want to make sure we get the best people and the best business idea(s).   I will be glad to contribute to any project (magazine or otherwise), however, I have to make it clear that my background is not in business and I think there are others in the group that might be better suited for such a task.
    Creative Gal(Thinking BIG, but realistically as well!)CreativeGal2006-10-29 14:7:17
  • Options
    CreativeGalCreativeGal subscriber Posts: 2
    Sorry for the extra frndchps quote in my previous post; I tried editing it, but the same thing happened after I corrected it.
    CG
  • Options
    Daniel (frndchps), Creative Gal, Mike, .......everybody!
    It is crucial that we think and act in small steps here. Don`t confuse that with moving slowly. Organizing must come first. With that will come a streamlined proces and steady, well thought out progress that includes the input of all interested members.
    Keep in mind that Rexxie Dexxie himself said that his software does not fully exist as a usable product. It`s unfinished. It would be great if it did but it doesn`t right now. So as for now, it will be part of the elected managment`s responsibility to establish the best method for communications.
    The next step remains an election of Point Leader. Given the circumstances here I will facilitate the first vote. This is not a unilateral move or an effort to circumvent the process. If you are confused right now, read up a page or two or three or more
    Daniel, I will talk to Joel and see what can be done, but I can`t do that without Mike`s input. He must be willing to have his title posts with withdrawn.  I am waiting to hear from him.
    We cannot rightfully and independently proclaim any combination of Point Leaders. This must remain an elective process, essential to the establishment  of a group effort. The elected Point Leader can always request assistance but in no case should there be a vigilante effort made as it will lead to a chaotic release of unorganized information.
    ~Eric

• Options
    JeffJeff subscriber Posts: 1

We collectively write an ebook, "Insider Secrets from StartupNation Members." (Assuming Jeff lets us use his named trademark). the ebook can be compiled and sold on the SuN web site, all of our  collective web sites, Amazon and any of our extended sites. We can each use our own viral networks to promote.
    Anyone who has a "secret" they have learned can participate. All proceeds can be used to help fund the next "bigger " idea the group starts"
    Could be fun, helpful, and generate some start up money or fund grants ,scholarships or other help for entrepreneurs.

this is an interesting idea....someone would need to spearhead the organization of the ideas and thoughts that would go into the book. What do you envision the price point to be for such a publication?
    Are you capable of taking the lead?
    Jeff 
  • Options

To the Sloan brothers - yall need to contact the producer that does them reality show (The Apprentice)  and create an internet cable show whereas you have 4 groups of team and [...]
    The show could be exclusively shown on SUN Internet TV station...
    Well it just a thought because of all the cutbacks that are going on at the major TV network studios.

Interesting idea!

You`ll all be happy to know that we have a reality television show in development right now. But before you get too excited, there is a long way between development and actually getting it one the air. Rich and I will be in L.A. this coming week to meet with the production team. We`ll see where this goes, but could be interesting. We`ll keep you posted....
    Jeff
  • Options
    You guys are making progress. I agree with the notion that we need a democratic process to elect leaders. Let`s keep our eyes on the prize and not get caught up in ancillary "stuff". Stay organized. Stay directed. Stay focused. Stay positive...and we might just come out of this process with a thriving business that we all share in and are rewarded from...and how cool would that be?!
    Let`s identify leaders; identify a few business ideas to vet; and let`s then get busy making it happen. I`m checking in as often as I can. It`s difficult with as much time we`re spending on the road, but rest assured, I`m staying on top of this, and I`m ready to jump in when you`re ready for me...
    This is going to be cool. Keep going....
    Jeff
  • Options
    JWD wrote:

this is an interesting idea....someone would need to spearhead the organization of the ideas and thoughts that would go into the book. What do you envision the price point to be for such a publication?
    Are you capable of taking the lead?
    Jeff 

I have staff who could handle the organization and editing of the book (we publish an 82 page magazine every month).
    If it is an ebook we could price from $5 to $10 and make it very affordable.
    I would be happy to take the lead if you would sell it on your site.
    JWD
    Jeff Sloan Co-founder, StartupNation!

• Options
    Sorry didn`t mean to put Jeff`s name at the end of my post. Bad typing. Guess that`s why I have an editoral staff.    JWD