WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How to market tom agazines, newspapers on a small budget

SweetdreambedSweetdreambed subscriber Posts: 3
edited February 2014 in Public Relations
Hello! My husband and i have started a custom children`s furniture business.  www.sweetdreambed.com Does anyone have suggestions for contacting newspapers, children`s magazines etc. to get featured  Does anyone have any suggestions? 
Sweetdreambed2/8/2008 10:17 PM

Comments

• DavidDavid subscriber Posts: 3
    I`m really liking the Process page on the website.  It`s definitely reassuring for any potential customer to know they`re in the hands of hard-working experts.
    I would like to caution to not write-off search engines.  They can be your most important source for leads for close to no cost at all.   Two quick and free ways to boost your ranking is to add details to your The Open Directory Project.  They have specific instructions, but Google and Yahoo use The Open Directory as a major criteria for determining search rankings.   Your site itself is laid out fine although you may want to add more pages.  More content means a higher ranking.  Also consider submitting your URL manually to Google and Yahoo if you have not already done so.
    As for the real world, publicity can be more tricky and more costly.  Consider finding a business that may find your products will complement their inventory.  A small partnership, such as exchanging links to post on each other`s website or print advertising, may be a great step.  Many small businesses band together to pool print advertising money.  If you want to be featured in a newspaper or magazine however, you will often have to call the reporters themselves directly and not the editor`s desk.  Using a PR service such as PR Newswire, which has a partnership with StartupNation and offers its services with a discount at just a few hundred a year.(See how those partnerships can help out?)
  • theswaynestertheswaynester subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
    Like David, I`m going to caution you not to give up on contacting newspapers and magazines. But why stop there?In my opinion, your products would be perfect for some of the HGTV and Martha Stewart shows and home and garden-type magazines. What about product placement? I would keep working contacts.Persistence is the key.
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    please reference the following resources for PR:
    -strategy.asp
    p (this one`s a payfor resource)
    in many cases, getting the media to pay attention has a lot to do with who you contact, what your "angle" is, and how effectively you pitch it. the above resources will help you achieve this.
    keep pressing forward. like the advice above... stick to it!
  • mmohhhmmohhh subscriber Posts: 0
    "Forget inspirational quotes to keep you going. If by doing what you do, you get an hour every day to relax, be with the ones you love in comfort without doing wrong, then it is all worth it." -Anon.

mmohhh blog
  • MomentrepreneurMomentrepreneur subscriber Posts: 6 Member
    Hello,

There are many online free article publication sites that you can post your articles to. This gets you an enormous amount of visibility, while you still attempt to contact magazines to publish your articles. you want to get the buzz going about your products and services. I started a FREE 6DAY workshop on helping mothers become successful entrepreneurs www.themomentrepreneurs.com and have used this process to write articles and acquire some visibility. 
    Enjoy!