WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Have you seen my customers anywhere?

knowableknowable subscriber Posts: 6
edited June 2008 in Marketing
I`m sure they`re around here somewhere, if only I knew where to look. I wish finding them was as easy as finding my keys (hmmm, come to think of it, that can be tough sometimes, too).
I`m in the process of launching an information technology consulting business geared specifically to small brick-n-mortar businesses operating locally. All I have to go on is my 11 years of consulting experience, a gut feeling that I can provide a valuable service, and a desire to make it on my own in this business.
As I read more, I learn that selling is less about having a great product or service and more about determining whether my target market wants what I have to offer, and then satisfying that want.
I know computer technology. I know nothing but what I`ve read lately about marketing and sales.
My question: How do I learn whether or not my target demographic 1) wants the service I have to offer, and 2) would be willing to a pay a premium to have it?

Comments

• Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    My question: How do I learn whether or not my target demographic 1) wants the service I have to offer, and 2) would be willing to a pay a premium to have it?

One way is simply to ask (your target market). Conduct a survey and make sure to offer something for their time and information.

~Roland
  • Options
    LisaOLisaO subscriber Posts: 2
    I agree that you should try asking your target if they would find your services useful.  When first launching my company, I went to the online, and offline, places my target market hangs out, and I asked them which of my services they would find useful, the prices they would be able to afford and have grown my business based on those answers.  By continually asking the same questions, I`ve been able to evolve my services and pricing over time, as well as pinpoint new services that my clients are seeking.

Locate where your target market is, form a relationship in those places, and then ask.

Good luck to you!
  • Options
    knowableknowable subscriber Posts: 6
    Thank you both for the input.
    I am so overwhelmed about getting this business off the ground that I get lost in the vast of expanse of what to do first. It feels as if all areas of the business need to be firing all at once. So, thanks for keeping the assistance simple, on-point, and using itty-bitty words .
    Currently, I am creating some simple surveys on surveymonkey.com. Also, I`m thinking of calling my prospects and inviting them to a series of focus groups just to ask for their opinion about my service. Not sure how that will be received, but I won`t know unless I ask.
    I`ll keep posted.
    Thanks again.