WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Hello!

NewBizMDNewBizMD subscriber Posts: 2
edited September 2008 in New Member Welcome
I am a new member and just want to introduce myself. I stumbled on this site several weeks ago and have found myself visiting more and more frequently as of late. As an aspiring entrepreneur seeking ways to connect with like-minded people, this site and its forums seem to be just what I`ve been looking for.
I look forward to making positive contributions to all discussions and learning much from all of you as well!

Comments

• Options
    Thanks, Craig!
    My biggest aspiration is (and always has been) to start my own business. Not just to buy a job, but to create a profitable and scalable business that will allow me to achieve all my long-term personal goals. I`ve researched many different industries and opportunities over the years, but none have met even my most basic requirements. A few weeks ago, however, I read an article on the personal concierge/errand services industry that really piqued my interest. I see a lot of potential within a field that seems to be in its infancy right now. So much so that I`ve begun writing a business plan for what I hope will be a startup I can launch in the next month or two. Good industry-specific information has been hard to come by so far, so I`m hoping my fellow SuN members can fill in some of the blanks for me as I go.
  • Options
    SilenceDogoodSilenceDogood subscriber Posts: 9
    Welcome NewBizMD...
    The entrepreneurial bug is incurable!
  • Options
    WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
  • Options
    besthealthbesthealth subscriber Posts: 4
    Welcome to the SuN Mike!!!!! Wish you great success!
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the warm welcome!
    Craig, I share your view that most businesses must eventually look for ways to expand and compete on an international level. The US just isn`t the dominant economic force that it once was and that isn`t going to change for the better any time soon. For me personally, though, (and assuming your last question was not rhetorical) I believe the local and regional market areas available to me at this time will afford me a substantial base of potential clients.
    I`m curious what others plying their trade in the personal services fields think about this, though. Have any of you reached (or even nearing) the saturation point within your own local/regional markets? If so, which of your service offerings have most helped you achieve that level of success? I am considering focusing on a single type of service rather than the range of services offered by most concierge/errand services. I`d love to know what is working well for the rest of you.
  • Options
    shai8181shai8181 subscriber Posts: 0
    Welcome fellow entrepreneur!
    Feel free to share any ideas or ask any questions.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Ah, that makes sense and I hadn`t thought of that angle. Thanks for helping me widen my scope as I continue with my market research. Still trying to nail down the most viable niche to pursue within the broader industry at this point.
  • Options
    I was in the restaurant business for 10 years before moving on to a second career in mortgage lending (I`m one of the few that left the biz voluntarily, I might add ). Though the two industries may not seem to have much in common, both require working with extreme urgency, strong multi-tasking skills, and knowing how to serve very demanding people (guests in the former, brokers and AE`s in the latter). I not only excelled in all those areas, I also thrived on overcoming the types of challenges that seemed to overwhelm others I worked with.
    More recently and while at home managing the sale of my house, I saw firsthand how difficult it would have been to coordinate and manage all those personal tasks during a 9-5 workday. That event is what actually created the "aha" moment that lead me to begin researching this field. From what I`ve learned to this point, it`s a great match for my core skill sets.
    I`m still new to posting, so let me know if I`m chewing up too much of the scenery..
  • Options
    VZelaVZela subscriber Posts: 0
    Hello there, I`m new (today 09/17) from Texas!  Blessed to be here.  I was wondering if anyone knows how I can get an answer for starting up my own business in the insurance industry?  I am going thru the process of getting licensed with Farmers Insurance, but am not sure what all is involved, wanted to know if anyone had some info??? 

Regards,

VZela
  • Options
    I agree and found that to be true as I began researching the industry. It didn`t take me very long to realize I don`t have resources like that to draw from. That`s why I`m leaning towards a model that focuses less on helping my clients find resources to get work done in their homes and more on helping them overcome scheduling conflicts once they have done so.
    I`m at the point now where I`m trying to determine (1) if there is a large enough market for the service I can offer and (2) what potential clients would pay for that service. If the answers to either of those questions wouldn`t allow me to grow a profitable and scalable business, I`ll scrap the concept and go back to the entrepreneurial drawing board.
    Thanks for poking holes, Craig. This is exactly what I was hoping for when I joined SuN!
  • Options
    Agreed, and brainstorming can never be overdone!
    Honestly, though, I`m looking for a complete change of venue and am fortunate to have the resources to develop this new concept as slowly as I need to. I know there`s a big chance I could fail, but it`s a calculated risk I can afford to take right now. At the very least, I know whatever I learn from this will help subsequent ventures be more successful.