WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Merchant Services

acalacal subscriber Posts: 3
Can anyone explain the process that takes place when you sell something off of your website.  My basic understanding is that your website must contain a "shopping cart" option.  That I assume, communicates with a merchant services company.  They in turn, process the transaction and make the deposit into your business account.  Right, so far?  That being said, can anyone reccomend a merchant service provider for processing the orders?

Comments

• postcarderpostcarder subscriber Posts: 1
    For merchant account provider, I recommend Paymentech. For shopping carts, you can purchase and install cart software, which is not for the faint-hearted. Or you can pay a monthly rate to a shopping cart application provider. 1ShoppingCart.com is a big player in the application provider business.Hope this helps!
  • acalacal subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks for the information.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond.    It looks like PayPal is going to be my best option.
  • mikechongmikechong subscriber Posts: 2
    thanks for the tip , Pat. I didn`t know that they`re so many other alternatives other than PayPal.  I run an online store selling origami roses, i`ll be sure to use some pointers from you.Thanks again
  • ShaunoShauno subscriber Posts: 1
    I have been using PayPal for over 2 years now and love it.  The free version allows users to pay using a PayPal account or using a credit card (without PayPal).  I simply generate buttons to purchase one product at a time.  PayPal also has shopping carts.  I even took it a step further and offer custom volume discount logic with my buttons.  After a purchase is made through PayPal, I use their IPN (Instant Payment Notification) system and a web service that I created to post customer info to a database and send me and them a confirmation email.  You would be amazed at how much automation you can do for free!  Of course the PayPal merchant account is free, however PayPal charges you a very minimal fee per transaction.I would be happy to help anyone accomplish automated payment processing through PayPal.Shauno