WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

If I know I am going to get one million hits in a month...

jthomas086121jthomas086121 subscriber Posts: 5
Say I have a marketing plan that all but promises me to have a million hits on my website in a month (i.e. a newspaper ad).  What`s the best way to make money off of a site? Would I go with Adclicks?  Would I try and sell a super cheap product?  Any other ideas.  Also what are the requirments to be able to take on such heavy traffic?

Comments

• txbassguytxbassguy subscriber Posts: 0
    hits or unique page views or unique visitors?That`s about 33,000 xxx per day.use google ad-sense.you`ll need to pay for bandwidth if you`re seriously getting that kind of traffic.
  • PiperTaxPiperTax subscriber Posts: 5
    I`d say that the way to monetize your site depends upon the topic of your site. Could go with an affiliate product that`s a natural fit, advertising, or anything else that makes sense.I doubt it`s necessary, but I`m going to mention it anyway: a million hits/month is very hard to do. It`s going to take a ton of work, money, or (most likely) both. (1 newspaper ad isn`t going to cut it, even if it ran in the WSJ for a month I`d bet.)
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Say I have a marketing plan that all but promises me to have a million hits on my website in a month (i.e. a newspaper ad). 
    Hits are a useless statistic. Besides, no legitimate media source would ever make that kind of promise. No one can guarantee how much traffic you`re going to get, unless it`s a SCAM!!!
    Dale KingDKing2007-10-11 18:16:21
  • WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    I agree that there is no guarantee of future traffic, and if there is a plan that can guarantee it I`d be interested in seeing it; not that I would trust it, but see it just out of curiosity. I`d also be curious what the cost is for using it. I think I`d rather have a solid, legitimate website in place, targeted for a specific audience, rather than just building one for the sake of cashing in on possible traffic.
  • lowwklowwk subscriber Posts: 0
    I have created a website recently and I am using the tedious task of SEO, back linking, classified ads, and now forums and blogs to promote my website. To have a million hits
    a month is too good to be true. I think it will need sometime to get this amount of traffic.
    Anyway hits does not necessarily translate to sales.

lowwk

www.bartermalaysia.com

lowwk10/13/2007 9:33 PM
  • jthomas086121jthomas086121 subscriber Posts: 5
    It`s an idea that is outside of SEO and backlinking.  It`s along the line of GoDaddy`s commercial they aired during the Superbowl.  The commercial was raunchy and tasteless...and perfect.  Their shock value got enough people curious to hit their site.  They got a lot of hits just off that commercial.  I thought of an idea based on the same type of marketing logic and while I believe getting 1 million hits is out of the question, I believe I can get a lot of hits.  So if you`re not selling a product how else could you cash in if you knew your website was going to get several hits?
  • WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    " Say I have a marketing plan that all but promises me to have a million hits on my website in a month "" and while I believe getting 1 million hits is out of the question "Personally, I really think you need to rethink this. Now it sounds as if you don`t even believe in the idea you originally talked about.You can lead a horse to water but you can`t make him drink .... and if he`s thirsty, at least make sure the water is worth it.
  • abeltz01abeltz01 subscriber Posts: 0
    ok, we all agree that getting a million hits a month is pretty unrealistic (not impossible, but unrealistic).

Now let`s say you get 100,000-300,000 clicks a month. You are not selling anything!? Well, the only way I know of making an income off of this scenario is sell ad space on your site to businesses that share your target market and do want to sell to them. You sell the ad space and put an agreement in place to get a % of all sales that funnel from your site.

If you are interested in SEO and PPC and want the best-of-the-best (to have it done right the first time), i can put you in touch with a team that I consider "Gods of Internet Marketing."

Amy
  • advernationadvernation subscriber Posts: 3
    I think the question is if he is going to get a million hits in a month by taking out newspaper ads, say he sends his ad to every newspaper in each city that is a couple hundred of million potential people seeing it, now if only 1 million go to the site per month, what is the best way to make money? i would say offer something whether it be information , whatever your sites about and hopefully it is not just a made for adsense site, or landing page, but adsense or something similar should work best, less work involved, don`t sell anything that you have to ship yourself maybe do amazon reseller with adsense should work good.

Chris Maddaloni is an Internet Marketing Consultant for http://www.advernation.com a New York City based Internet Marketing Company serving businesses in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, The Bronx, Long Island and Westchester. He has helped websites with SEO (Search Engine Optimization) getting them exposure on the first page of top search engines using organic methods. He has a blog at http://www.advernation.wordpress.com and http://www.advernation.blogspot.com
  • dougmcisaacdougmcisaac subscriber Posts: 0
    It sounds like you`re asking for how to make one time money. If that`s true then CPA netwroks aree where you want to look. Try to narrow your demographics down a bit. Tastless and tacky will bring a differrent person that timeless and classy.

If you`re looking to make long-term money without building a product of your own then you need to do an e-mail capture or get offers from sites that provide reocurring revenues. Like monthly membership sites.

If you want to build a business then you need to make sure that your marketing and business target the same demographic.

Hope that heps,
    Doug
  • nancyjlnancyjl subscriber Posts: 1
    After reading this whole thread it got me to thinking about the one that said a "one time thing".  What if you worked really, really hard for a short period of time, would it be possible if you advertised in every kind of form all at once, had a decent product that would sell to even 1% of the people, to make enough money to pay all your expenses, taxes, etc., put the rest in the bank and live off the interest?  Saying you would like to make about $50,000/year?  Just hypothetical, but got me to thinking.

"Discover Practical Methods Of Finding Markets That Virtually Guarantee You An Income From Day One” http://www.chooseyourmarket.com/