WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Leads From Craigslist...

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited January 2008 in Marketing
I`m often asked if it`s worth advertising on free ad sites like Craigslist to acquire leads. In my opinion, no. It`s been my experience that leads from free advertising sites convert very, very poorly. So I personally don`t attempt to acquire leads that way anymore. Considering the poor returns, I think it`s a waste of time and energy.
What has been your experience with leads from free ad sites like Craigslist? Do they work for you?
Dale KingDKing2007-10-2 14:41:3

Comments

• ToddFToddF subscriber Posts: 3
    I find the hardest thing about Cl is that yoiu gotta post an ad at least twice a day because so many are added daily. That means it takes more time, even if it`s just cut & paste you still have to remember to do it. I wish they had a better business directory to reduce the amount of duplicate ads.
  • PiperTaxPiperTax subscriber Posts: 5
    I agree: generally not worth your time. Particularly becuase, as Todd says, you have to post over and over so that you don`t disappear.
  • MaximumCEOMaximumCEO subscriber Posts: 0
    I have a history of finding highly qualified employees through CraigsList.  Post an ad, and they`ll reply.

Using CraigsList for lead genereation, however, is a different
    story.  The business section get hits with new posts every second;
    most posts are ads for valueless products.  As a result, people
    are less willing to return to that section of the website in the future.
  • SecurityProfessionalSecurityProfessional subscriber Posts: 2
    I have had great luck with Craigslist in recruiting employees and in giving away unwanted equipment in the "free" section.
    I haven`t tried it for selling my services but I am highly doubtful that it would work due to the specialized services that I sell. On the other hand, a former coworker of mine started her own bookeeping service and reports that she has had great luck in getting business off of Craigslist.
    The last time I recruited employees, I simultaneously ran ads in the major local newspapers (Seattle Times/PI) as well as posted on Craiglist. I got about twice as many qualified responses from my $25 Craigslist posting as I did from my $1,800 ad in the major newspapers. (This experience is what finally convinced me that newspapers as we know them are on their way out..)

• FeliciaSlatteryFeliciaSlattery subscriber Posts: 1
    I actually just had someone purchase from me today after I placed an ad on Craigslist.   I think for people working with a shoestring budget, combined with other more effective free marketing tools, such as article writing and public speaking, Craigslist can be another way to have your name "out there." 
    In fact, I know one business coach/infopreneur who teaches people the most effective techniques for using Craigslist and getting results.  She has created a great business for herself using Craigslist and now shows people how she did it.
    It`s all about time vs. money and when you have more time than money, well, free is a good way to go.

Warmly,
    Felicia
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    For anyone in the graphic design business, Craigslist is not going to provide clients that allow you to make a living wage.  It`s a resource for individuals and businesses always looking for a something for almost nothing.  - J.
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    I`ve gotten a handful of clients from CL but some things you have to keep in mind when leveraging CL for leads:1) Chances are great that you will find people who only will want to work with people in the same town that they posted the ad in.  They simply can`t comprehend or trust that this is the information age.2) Some people are really cheap and want people equally as cheap to work for them.3) Prospective clients will check you out behind your back via private investigator (used to do security consulting before my marketing gig) and if they see you are just starting out or not established they won`t give you the time of day.It`s rough going but these are the Laws of Leveraging Craigslist for Leads.  If you can work within these bounds or find ways to work around these rules, then you can market yourself pretty well.
  • Victor363Victor363 subscriber Posts: 2
    Gee, I wonder that with all of Google`s more stringent policies towards linking schemes, if posting excessively in craigslist could actually hurt your rankings.
  • asktheleadguyasktheleadguy subscriber Posts: 2
    I have also found craigslist to be quite useful for networking especially for joint ventures!
  • BannerViewBannerView subscriber Posts: 1
    We recently posted a simple ad on Craigslist. We did get a response, but nothing came of it. Truthfully, I wouldn`t expect to get substantial investors in business from Craigslist. Maybe small, limited-funding project, but nothing large scale. I`m willing to try a varied approach if anyone has suggestions.
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Brian, if business investors are your target market, proven media like Entrepreneur magazine is a good bet. Also, a few years ago, I did some advertising in USA Today`s Marketplace section. The ad did quite well for me.

Dale King
    DKing1/9/2008 6:53 PM
    Thanks for the advice, Dale. I will check out those options.
  • rookapsrookaps subscriber Posts: 10
    Google ranking of  your website is weighted based on links back to your website (link reciprocity)!

Using the free classifieds is definitely worth the time and effort.  It is one of the tactics we use for boosting search engine ranking.  We always put our website address in the free classifieds (i.e., OLX, Craigslist, Backpages, etc.) 

If you Google "USB Replacement Caps"... or something to that effect... http://www.RooKaps.com  will definitely come up on the first few listings.  Many of these are from free classifieds.

Freebies don`t generate a lot of sales for us... but they certainly bolster our search engine ranking.
    rookaps1/15/2008 1:01 PM
    I agree. Listings, posts, comments etc. provide those necessary inbound links to your website. How much importance is placed on them really depends on the search engine`s ranking of that website which contains the links. I still like sites such as Craigslist just for getting the word out to the general public.