WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

To be an LLC/Inc or not to be

wildstormwildstorm subscriber Posts: 2
edited August 2007 in Home-Based Businesses
Ok currently I`m trying to secure funds for my home business. Its an online venture on eBay plus a local venture. All run out of my home. Currently I`m a DBA. Now I do not intend to hire anyone to work for me because this is primarily a one man band. So the question is, should I still be a DBA or should I incorporate? Is it easier, tax wise to be a DBA or do you get more benefits for being an LLC or Inc?

Comments

• wildstormwildstorm subscriber Posts: 2
    In my quest to get funds for the business, I`ve encountered alot of lenders ranging from business cash advances to business loans saying that they only work with those who are either LLC or Inc. Sole Proprietorship is frowned upon I guess. Thanks for the info and the link.
  • pepperlegalpepperlegal subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Unless there are other reasons that would cause a corporation to make more sense to you, there are very few reasons NOT to form a LLC.  You are taxed the same as a sole proprietorship, have minimal filing and other costs, and obtain protection from any personal liability.To be clear, when you register a fictitious name, you are not "incorporated."  You are merely telling your state that you are operating a business under a fictitious name - no more, no less. You are not creating a separate business entity by registering a fictitious name alone.Lastly, you typically will not see any tax benefits by setting up a corporation, but you should speak with both a tax and legal advisor to best determine what entity makes the most sense in your particular situation.  There is no one size fits all.
  • PiperTaxPiperTax subscriber Posts: 5
    Pepperlegal is right; having a DBA makes you a sole proprietor doing business under an assumed name. It does not make you a corporation.
    Incorporating can provide tax benefits, but generally not until you`re making some serious bucks.
    Before forming an LLC, I would be sure though to check into your state`s tax laws. Some states (CA for instance) charge an entity-level tax. (Meaning you`re taxed like an SP for Federal purposes, but not for state purposes.)
  • wildstormwildstorm subscriber Posts: 2
    I don`t know. I like where everythings at now. I`m a sole proprietorship, I have a tax ID and its easy to file at the end of the year. Maybe when my business actually grows more, I`ll consider changing but not right now.
  • mluangsmluangs subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi, I have a business that is set up as a corpration, but I decided to desolve it.   Does it automatice become a sole proprietorship?  or do I have to file as a sole proprietorship?  Also, what would be better, as an LLC or Sole Proprietorship?