WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

E-Commerce Gourmet Food Website Critiques

circ2000circ2000 subscriber Posts: 1
edited March 2009 in Website Critique

Good Afternoon;

Though I have heard of Startup Nation before, I just joined and am just now exploring the site. I found this forum and would love to hear from other members of what they think about our website (and products too!).

I started Decadence Gourmet Cheesecakes when I had gone back to college after more than 20 years away and have basically been keeping it local with a little bit of website sales. We now have two investors but will be looking at more for when we move this to the Next Level.

I would appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

www.decadencecheesecakes.com

Thank you;

Lee Mathis

circ20003/9/2009 7:54 PM

Comments

• WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    Not long ago, I had enough money saved up to go buy a newer car than the one I had. I knew what I wanted, and went on my way to the dealer that I thought would have the type I wanted. However, when I reached his lot, something seemed out of place.
    He had the hanging, colored triangles all over, he had the blinking arrow sign, and of course his business sign high in the air. Nothing wrong there, but something just didn`t feel right. What was it?
    I saw many signs on the building ..... "Low Down Payments!" .... "Easy Financing!" .... "Free Gas & Oil Changes!" .... which all sounded pretty good, but what was I missing?
    I looked around the lot, saw information on sales policies, returns, refunds, warranties, guarantees, deliveries, taxes, titles, and the whole works of information on buying a car from this dealer. And still sensed that something was amiss .... what was it?
    Then the obvious hit me, what I had missed all along. I put my money back in my pocket, climbed back into my old beater, pulled off the lot and drove away, thinking that if the dealer actually had any cars on the lot that day for me to look at, he would have had a sale.
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    No photos?  Dessert food is an impulse item, so where`s the photos that make your product a must-buy?
    Your banner is a nice portrayal of a sign board, but it`s almost half of your pages.  Make it smaller and consider moving some of the items that don`t promote the call to action (buy cheesecake products) to deeper pages. 
  • circ2000circ2000 subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi Steve;

Thank you for your comments.

While we do have some pics, especially when you click on our products, The Cheesecakes in a Jar, we do need to add more.

I am trying to find a decent free FTP Program so I can add them myself as opposed to paying $65 an hour for my web guy to do it.

As we expand, I am going to look at tightening the page up too!

Thanks again!

Lee
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    FTP access:
    I use FileZilla.  It`s free and it works.  If you have Vista you can add your FTP address to your "My Networks" folder, and treat the remote folders like any local folder in Explorer.
  • WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    Steve, I didn`t know that, I`ll have to check into it.
    CoreFTP is a decent free program as well.