WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Which Is More Important...Page Rank Or Traffic?

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
In my opinion, they`re both important, but in different ways. Let me explain:If you`re selling a product or service, it is much more important to attract laser-targeted traffic to your website, so in that regard, page rank is not as important.On the other hand, buyers of previously-owned domain names and websites often look at page rank to determine a website`s value, so in that regard PR is very important.

Anyway, that`s my opinion. What do you think?Dale KingDKing2007-7-27 11:48:42

Comments

• vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    PR is over valued. It is best not to focus on PR, what PR you have now, or will have in the future. PR is not a realtime measure of a website`s popularity or importance.
    Content is king  and it can both generate traffic and increase site rank / popularity.
    ~Rolandvwebworld2007-7-27 13:16:54
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141

PR is over valued. It is best not to focus on PR, what PR you have now, or will have in the future. PR is not a realtime measure of a website`s popularity or importance.
    ~Roland

While I agree that page rank is overrated,  it still holds value in the minds of many individuals. And as I stated in my opening post, buyers of previously-owned domain names and websites often look at page rank to determine a website`s value, so in that regard PR is very important.
    Dale KingDKing2007-7-27 17:42:51
    Actually, what a person perceives to be true is reality to him or her. After all, perception is reality.
    Dale King
    what page, are you on, in Google search? 
    Well, since you asked, I`m on page one for my main keyword term,:" internet marketing help."
    And I`m near the top of page two for another of my keyword phrases, internet marketing expert."
    I rank #1 for the keyword phrase," free sales copy evaluation."
    I also rank at or near the top for dozens of other keyword phrases as well.
    Dale King
    When I say PR is over rated........ I think PR - the actual # that Google assigns, is only important to some "webmasters" or people "in the business" or those that are livng a little in the past.  Most viewers do not look for sites that have a specific PR#.
    Long tail keyword searches - there is a practice of optimizing your site for "long tail searches". "Boat hardware" versus "5-inch bronze boat cleat" is an example of a typical targeted keyword versus a long tail keyword/phrase.  The theory of long tail searches is (1) long tail search phrases are easier to optimize for/ there is less competition (other website in the SERP) and (2) the total of hits/results from long tail searches can be as significant as the number of hits/results from a targeted keyword.
    There is a tool to show you what long tail keywords are used to reach your site, but you can get a indication of them by looking at your website stats too.
    ~Rolandvwebworld2007-7-28 2:22:26
    True, I do not optimize my variety of my web design work. AND true I do not pay much attention to PR... I think that may be consistant with my belief that PR is over rated and not as important as other factors.
    Over 60% of my traffic comes from referral links (I focus on relationship building), 17% from searches, and 23% direct.
    While Google may "value" PR, the PR # you see is not a real time number.. it may be a day, week, or a few months old. BTW your website home page appears as PR3 when I bring it up.
    Long tail searches... I did not mean to imply you would optimize for all long tail search combinations... as you say web page content essentially does this for you since it is usually the source of the long tail search result. However, I am suggesting it is a good idea to know your long tail search results.. it can indicate a strong market and indicate a direction to change your page optimization.
    Exactly! "The long tail searchers also happen to be more reliable buyers". Another reason to check out your site`s long tail search results.
    ~Rolandvwebworld2007-7-28 7:52:1
    So you don`t think people are searching for those less-popular keyword phrases? Well, you`re wrong.
    More importantly, you`re missing the boat on thousands and thousands of relevant, second tier keyword phrase variations you`ve never even considered.
    In addition to that, you`re leaving a ton of money on the table, because you`re not being creative and thinking outside the box, regarding potential keyword phrase variations you can use to help people find your website.
    I didn`t just arbitrarily make up a bunch of keyword phrase variations. I researched every one of my phrases very carefully.
    Granted, just one or two of these less-popular keyword phrases probably won`t make a whole lot of difference to your bottom line. But when you have hundreds or even thousands of them, the numbers can add up pretty quickly.
    How do I know this method works? Three reasons:
    1. I did my homework.
    2. My stats don`t lie.
    3. I ask and my clients tell me what keywords they used to find me.
    The bottom line is this: Whether you choose to believe it or not, people do search for  less popular keyword phrases - more than enough to make it worth your while financially.
    Dale KingDKing2007-7-28 9:0:32
    I might have mistakenly implied that ,when I said let`s not  make up keyword phrases. I meant it shouldn`t be that important to be #1 for EVERY phrase you can think of that could apply to your site, when other keywords are definitely searched for much more.  But I`m sure marketers and designers have people searching for their sites in many different ways. And the fact that they find you however they choose to find you is great! And as it`s been said, content, and knowing what they`re searching for is important.
    Did you know that many of the words in the dictionary are variations of the same word? Why the redundancy?
    Because dictionary publishers realized long ago that people have different research habits. We don`t all think alike. While two people may be looking for the same exact word, they may look for that word in different ways.
    Well doing keyword research is no different. People search keyword phrases differently, although  many of the keyword phrases they`re searching for mean exactly the same thing. They`re just worded differently.
    Also, Internet marketing is ultra-competitive.Why not give yourself every possible advantage?
     If you can obtain high rankings for relevant, less popular keyword phrases, why wouldn`t  you go for it? Why not give your target audience every opportunity to find you?
    I going to continue to give my target audience every opportunity to find my website.
    Dale KingDKing2007-7-28 20:22:19
    It isn`t about popularity of keywords. It`s about relate-ability of keywords. We sell signal flags, but we have related words like "gifts, kids names, wedding reception." If, on the other hand, we were to develop SEO content for such things as "engine oil, auto mechanic, space station," we might pick up more people, but to what purpose? In other words, at what point do potential customers not only abandon a site, but get angry with the site because it showed up with irrelevant content during a search they made?
    Actually, search engines may penalize sites that practice such SEO. So, not only do you risk viewers being unhappy, but getting banned from some search engine results.
    ~Roland

Actually, search engines may penalize sites that practice such SEO. So, not only do you risk viewers being unhappy, but getting banned from some search engine results.
    And rightfully so. Anyone who practices illegal SEO tactics should be banned.
    Dale KingDKing2007-7-28 20:27:13
  • WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    PageRank, as already stated, is not always up to date. Although it is an indicator of some positive things, it is only for one search engine, and, for myself, it doesn`t always go hand in hand with higher search results.I have a site which has been online for about 3 years. Right now, the main keyword phrases " used commercial trucks " and " used commercial trailers ", has it ranked number 3 in Google, number 1 in MSN for both. This is with a page rank of 3. And, there are some much bigger and better known competitors with a higher PR.Maybe its open to how someone interprets it, but I think just being relevant, and having the relevant content, to what is searched for is much more important that dwelling on PR.
  • WebDropsWebDrops subscriber Posts: 3
    PageRank, as already stated, is not always up to date. Although it is an indicator of some positive things, it is only for one search engine, and, for myself, it doesn`t always go hand in hand with higher search results.I have a site which has been online for about 3 years. Right now, the main keyword phrases " used commercial trucks " and " used commercial trailers ", has it ranked number 3 in Google, number 1 in MSN for both. This is with a page rank of 3. And, there are some much bigger and better known competitors with a higher PR.Maybe its open to how someone interprets it, but I think just being relevant, and having the relevant content, to what is searched for is much more important that dwelling on PR.
    very well said.... Page rank is important though but surely it is not very relying... i mean with page rank like 1 or 2 also sites do appear on top 10 rankings in google search for some specific keywords... in my opinion alexa ranking plays a better role here... as it gives an idea of the traffic we are actually driving.... so alexa ranking is a better measuring tool then PR....
    I love this topic. Roland, I don`t know you and I`m not implying this is you so don`t take it the wrong way. Keyphrases are either long tail or short tail.  What ticks me off is the SEO Consultant that sells the "long tail phrase" for for "short tail" money and deceived the client into thinking their indeed paying for that phrase thats most searched.I left an in-house position b/c their selling point was the fact their clients ranked number one for "your neighborhood name homes for sale". What a joke! I can literally blog about that community and add it to the title of my post and rank it in 48 hours.To me it boils down to what you`re selling/telling the client. Do they understand and agree to rank for "long tail keyphrases"?  Do they understand it takes longer to rank for "short tail keyphrases"?  You can quickly weed out the snake oil SEO wannabees by knowing the difference.  Filling in your client on the differences is priceless.
    Sorry for the l-o-n-g quote, but I have no idea what your post has to do with anything I said or quoted others
    As for long tail, it is something that should be monitored from time to time to see if there is a niche market / key phrase that may be explored. Plus, for those sites that are in a highly competitive (search word) market it may actually be a viable approach to highly relevant traffic until the site becomes more established.
    Long tail / short tail are not mutually exclusive either.
    ~Rolandvwebworld2007-8-7 20:17:39
  • Victor363Victor363 subscriber Posts: 2
    If the question is: ` which is more important, PR or traffic?` .........Than my answer is traffic hands down. A year ago, I would be incorrect. But today, PR plays a much smaller role in your rankings than most realize. It is still possible to have a top ranking website, with a high conversion rate, but have poor PR. Therefore, I think traffic is more important.On the other hand, if the question is: `which is more important, a high conversion rate, or lots of traffic?`......Than the answer is Conversion Rate - hands down. At the risk of over simplifying; Google designs their algorithms so that high converting, relevant websites receive the most traffic. Its not like 5 years ago where the best metatags got the most traffic - today, it is about the most relevant and helpful site.For elaboration on the logic behind what I just said - I recommend reading this article on how Google prices their adwords campaigns
  • WebDropsWebDrops subscriber Posts: 3
    i guess definitely traffic is very important... at least through analytics we are able to know what is happening on our site.... and believe me m never able to understand what are the rules these PR guys follow to determine the ranking of s a site... some say it`s inbound and outbound links but no one knows the exact thing... ...