WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

The Clique Negativity Effect

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited June 2007 in Marketing
The Clique Negativity Effect is the tendency of a small exclusive group of friends or associates, whom when evaluating the causes of the behaviors of a person they dislike, attribute positive behaviors to the situations surrounding the behaviors and negative behaviors to the person`s inherent disposition. The negativity effect is the inverse of the positivity effect, which is found when people evaluate the causes of the behaviors of a person they like. Both effects are attributional biases. The clique negativity effect plays a role in producing the ultimate attribution error, a major contributor to prejudice.The term "clique negativity effect" (a term which I coined, by the way) also refers to the tendency of some people to assign more weight to negative information in descriptions of others. Research has shown that the negativity effect in this sense is quite common, especially with younger people; older adults, however, display less of this tendency and more of the opposite tendency (the positivity effect).I am a member of several popular Internet marketing forums, and I noticed something quite disturbing. While the majority of these forums are fine, a couple of them have formed a small exclusive group of friends or associates whom practice "clique negativity."Sometimes it`s quite obvious...other times, it`s more subtle.The reason I find this so disturbing is because when a group of people gang up on one individual, the effects can not only be ugly - but devastating to the individual being attacked.Often these attacks occur for no other reason than the person may have dissenting or controversial points of view. The written word, particularly in the English language, can often be easily misunderstood by the reader, especially if the reader has a presupposition about the writer. I`ve seen it happen over and over again on discussion forums, and it can easily disintegrate into verbal fisticuffs if the writer isn`t sensitive enough to realize that the reader may read it with a certain slant.For example, if you don`t like "Joe Smith" for no other reason than the fact your associates don`t like him, you may may arbitrarily read everything that Joe Smith writes and interpret it in a negative light - even if it`s meant to be positive and inoffensive.This is similar to "The Convergence Theory" which holds that group behavior is not a product of the group itself, but is carried into the group by certain individuals. Thus, groups amount to a "convergence" of like-minded individuals. In other words, while "The Contagion Theory" states that groups cause people to act in a certain way, Convergence Theory says the opposite: that people who wish to act in a certain way come together to form groups.A perfect example example of convergence theory is the practice sometimes observed when an immigrant population becomes common in a previously homogeneous area, and members of the existing community (apparently spontaneously) band together to threaten those trying to move into their neighborhoods. In such cases, convergence theorists contend, the group itself does not generate racial hatred or violence; rather, the hostility has been simmering for some time among many local people. A group then arises from convergence of people who oppose the presence of these neighbors. The Convergence Theory claims that crowd behavior as such is not irrational; rather, people in crowds express existing beliefs and values so that the mob reaction is the rational product of widespread popular feeling. (Contributing Source: Wikipedia)So how does The Convergence Theory relate to forums? Let me explain:Because you and your associates don`t like "Joe Smith", because he`s aggressive or controversial or arrogant, you automatically jump to the wrong conclusions about everything he posts. Suddenly you and your forum associates "converge" and start spewing poisonous venom at him, without even trying to find out what he really meant. In essence, you become judge, jury and executioner.Essentially, by immediately assuming the worse about anything Joe Smith posts, you are eliminating any chance to find a peaceful resolution, and perpetuating the clique negativity effect.Wouldn`t it be better, in the interest of peace and human understanding, to simply ask for clarification from him rather than assume the worse? By not doing so, and judging him without learning his true meaning or intentions, you are verbally abusing and hurting another human being for no other reason than your own personal dislike for this person. I think that`s wrong.In closing, if you practice clique negativity, I propose you adjust your attitude and start practicing tolerance; which is the capacity for or the practice of recognizing and respecting the rights, beliefs, ideas and practices of others.Dale KingDKing2007-6-26 14:25:4

Comments

• InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    Dale this post is off-topic for the marketing forum. Please refrain from creating off-topic posts. 
  • DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Cookie, I think it`s best if you let the moderators determine whether or not my post is off-topic. That`s why the moderators are here. If they feel my post is off-topic, they`ll move it to the proper category.
    Dale KingDKing2007-6-26 20:0:17
    Dale, I sent you a private message so we can get this moderator matter cleared up.
  • blondieblueblondieblue subscriber Posts: 9

I am a member of several popular Internet marketing forums, and I noticed something quite disturbing. While the majority of these forums are fine, a couple of them have formed a small exclusive group of friends or associates whom practice "clique negativity."Sometimes it`s quite obvious...other times, it`s more subtle.The reason I find this so disturbing is because when a group of people gang up on one individual, the effects can not only be ugly - but devastating to the individual being attacked.Often these attacks occur for no other reason than the person may have dissenting or controversial points of view.
    Because you and your associates don`t like "Joe Smith", because he`s aggressive or controversial or arrogant, you automatically jump to the wrong conclusions about everything he posts. Suddenly you and your forum associates "converge" and start spewing poisonous venom at him, without even trying to find out what he really meant. In essence, you become judge, jury and executioner.Essentially, by immediately assuming the worse about anything Joe Smith posts, you are eliminating any chance to find a peaceful resolution, and perpetuating the clique negativity effect.In closing, if you practice clique negativity, I propose you adjust your attitude and start practicing tolerance; which is the capacity for or the practice of recognizing and respecting the rights, beliefs, ideas and practices of others.Dale King

Good observations. In fact, I recall one such victime of these "negative attacks" right here at SuN ... TJ Graff, the owner of GoTruckStop.com , http://GoTruckStop.com</A>
    The clicque here at SuN, especailly Nichole, continue to attack anything that is posted about GoTruckStop.com,  the AppleCart Datas Base Management System, or anything that is about GoTruckStop, or TJ Graff.
    I also have been attacked in the same way, simply because I dare to show how the "clicque" is sooooooooooooooo narrow minded.
    Good post, Dale.
    Thanks, blondieblue.
    I`m not going to get into specifics, but I`ve also seen it here as well - thus the reason for this post.
    Dale King
    Well, the "clique" is at it again ... on another thread. Nichole co-opted thoughts and concepts of someone she has ridiculed and made fun of for months ... and when I brought it to everyone`s attention here at SuN ... the post was deleted by Joel .. saying it was a "personal" attack.
    It appears that the "clique" here has a very thin skin ... when they are caught in their own lies and attacks.
    Dale, you "nailed it" with this and another of your posts re: the "Secret Monitor Society". 
    SuN management and the "clique" are starting to act & look more and more like "Nancy Pelosi & Company" everyday. 
  • RichRich administrator Posts: 582 Site Admin
    blondieblue and Dking, if you feel that people here at startupnation are not acting within the code of our forums, always feel free to notify Joel, our chief community officer. he`s the head honcho when it comes to making sure everything stays on course and positive and consistent with our objectives of fostering entrepreneurship.one thing we`re proud of is that over 40,000 pages of content have been created by our members over the past 14 months and there are only a handful of people who`ve been banned due to consistently bad behavior. it`s incredible, actually, how self-regulating the whole community is!as for secret societies and all that garbaldigook, that`s just nonsense. the SunBassador program we`re starting to release is going to be of great help to new people, to people who want to get the most from their forum topics, and to people who just want the quality level to be as high as it can within StartupNation`s community. assuming we execute this according to plan, can you be supportive?
    blondieblue and Dking, if you feel that people here at startupnation are not acting within the code of our forums, always feel free to notify Joel, our chief community officer. he`s the head honcho when it comes to making sure everything stays on course and positive and consistent with our objectives of fostering entrepreneurship.one thing we`re proud of is that over 40,000 pages of content have been created by our members over the past 14 months and there are only a handful of people who`ve been banned due to consistently bad behavior. it`s incredible, actually, how self-regulating the whole community is!as for secret societies and all that garbaldigook, that`s just nonsense. the SunBassador program we`re starting to release is going to be of great help to new people, to people who want to get the most from their forum topics, and to people who just want the quality level to be as high as it can within StartupNation`s community. assuming we execute this according to plan, can you be supportive?
    The SunBassador program is just another name for the "inner clique" that existed since the beginning of SuN`s forums ... made up of a bunch "groupies" to help make you, Rich Sloan feel self-important. And it is exactly the exposure of your little groupie "clique" that got TJ Graff banned from this wonderful forum. He dared to stand up to all the "little childish nonsense" and continual group think amongst your "clique" that takes place here. (Now that I`ve postd this, I`m sure you`ll ban me too, eh?)
    Rich, DKing commented on the "clique" ... and one of your SuNBassadors posted saying knock it off ... private messaged him basically saying the same ... and Joel confirmed that there are a number of "unknown" moderators here at SuN.
    Now, just what part do you disagree with in DKing`s post and obsevations, since he "nailed it" completely?
    it`s strange that you spend time in our forums if you don`t like the environment we`ve created here - but i`m glad you remain with us. maybe, with the help of the new SunBassadors program, things will get even better here for you.regarding cliques for my personal benefit, or groupies, or any of those kinds of things, let me be clear about what i`m all about: i run a business. i want it to succeed. the more i provide value to people through the services of the business, the more likely StartupNation is to succeed. the SunBassador program is designed to provide more value to visitors so more visitors are inclined to become loyal users of the site. i am EXTREMELY proud of what we`ve achieved so far. I believe that we have a lot we can (and will) improve and a much new ground to cover going forward. If you notice,  i don`t do everything around here and i don`t want to - that would be foolish... i only do a few things really well... i am lucky to be surrounded by people who work here and volunteer here who make this organization the best at what it does - inform and inspire entrepreneurs. i like that you`re passionate about your views and about defending fellow members against anything you think is not consistent with the code we operate by in the forums. thanks for standing up for that code of conduct.
    Rich, when I complained both publicly  and privately about how I felt I was being mistreated, it fell on deaf ears by you and the moderators. In fact, the moderators and the rest of the forum turned on me like a pack of dogs.
    No one person can even begin to defend himself against that type of  group onslaught. I was hoping by starting this thread, we could open up some positive dialogue.
    Unfortunately, that hasn`t happened. For whatever reason, you have your blinders on, when it comes to your moderators. blondieblue and I have legitmate concerns that aren`t being addressed.
    Your moderators aren`t perfect, Rich. Sometimes they mishandle situations. You need to acknowledge that fact, and so do they.
    blondieblue and I  aren`t complaining just for the sake of complaining. We`ve both seen the same exact things. We feel like we`re fighting against the whole forum, and everyone is dismissing our points of view like we don`t matter.
    Rich, as the forum administrator, you should demand that everyone`s rights and point of view be respected and protected. In my opinion, you`ve  failed miserably in that regard.
    We should have the right to voice our complaints and opinions without fear of being shot down by the whole forum.
    Have I made mistakes? Absolutely, and I don`t plan on repeating those mistakes. But there`s a proper way to tell me I`m wrong, without humiliating me in front of the whole forum.
    Dale KingDKing2007-6-28 14:17:10
    Dale, you humiliated yourself. You wrote every post with your own hand. If you feel humiliated then you have no one to blame but yourself. It was you who chose to break the rules and engage in [almost] blatant self-promotion in your quest for linkbacks. You also wrote an entire post in which you outline this as an excellent marketing strategy. You have also mentioned how to load up the articles with keywords that were attractive to search engines. You also wrote a few posts in which you attacked myself and Nikole. In doing so you used language that was both unprofessional and abusive. You were asked, several times, to stop doing this and these requests fell on your very deaf ears.What is really going on here is that you are upset at being called out publicly...for your public behavior. You`re not being attacked by anyone, much less the entire forum. This is classic "poor me" behavior, common among people who refuse to accept responsibility for their own actions. It`s so simple. Don`t fill the Marketing forum with "articles" designed only to gain linkbacks and - unless you want egg on your face - don`t write an additional "article" in which you describe this as a great marketing strategy while simultaneously trying to deny that you`re doing it. In at least one of your posts, you describe yourself as aggressive and dominant, with a preference for remaining in control. Are you having some kind of reaction to not being the alpha male in this situation?Furthermore, you started this thread and the "secret moderator" thread for the express purpose of starting trouble. Such public posts are unusual behavior for someone who has now made several remarks [ including your last post in this thread ] about preferring to resolve conflicts in private. You certainly didn`t bother to resolve this in private after I sent you a private communication, did you? No. You wrote the "Secret Moderator" post instead. You can`t have it both ways. A final thought. Complaining about "secret moderators" is like complaining about unmarked police cars after you`ve been given a ticket.
    Rich, Cookie`s post is exactly what I`m talking about. My post was an open letter to you, not him.
    I`m not even going to bother to respond . What`s the use?
    Dale KingDKing2007-6-28 14:20:33
    dale,you are totally right - there is never a justification for anyone to intentionally humiliate someone else within these forum walls!i`m not the administrator of the forums - someone else is responsible for that.i am glad that you`ve learned what mistakes not to make. i am sure that the SunBassadors will learn along the way, too. we are all learning as we go. ESPECIALLY me.as for falling on dead ears, i`ve noticed people grappling with cut/paste tactics you`ve used here and some like it, some don`t. i`ve noticed that some people are opposed to opinions being positioned as "fact". these are all things we`re contending with as they fall into a "gray area".but to your point again - being critical of people, diplomatically, and in accordance with the code of conduct we`ve established is not an issue. intentionally humiliating is something we can`t let be anything other than a one-time "mistake" - that kind of conduct has to be addressed and corrected.
    Opinions being positioned as fact?
    Rich, this is a forum. Its entire composition is made up of opinions. Everyone`s post is THEIR own opinion. That`s why there are so many different answers to one topic. Everyone has a different opinion as to what the answer should be.
    Are you going to demand that everyone mark their posts as "opinion pieces," like I was asked to do?
    See my point?
    Dale King
    you make a good point - it`s all opinion.so why do you think there`s been so much pushback to the way you`ve used the forums?