WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

OSCommerce

Comments

• blondieblueblondieblue subscriber Posts: 9

I don`t use the open source programs because they are free, I use them because they work.
    AppleCart may be the best thing since applesauce.
    I just think your implication that the open source programs are problematic is not entirely accurate. Sure, there are add-ons that may be "buggy"... those are typically created by someone to fullfill a specific need for the creator, then shared with the open source users.  Those add-ons are easily avoided because the open source community notes any problems. I would hope you would not choose an add-on that doesn`t work properly.
    When evaluating what ecommerce solution to choose (aside from any web designer`s involvement) you need to consider your current and future online and business needs and determine if the program can provide for those needs. Each program has strengths and weaknesses compared to others.
    ~Roland

So I`m assuming that if you discovered a shopping cart solution that worked even better than your osCommerce or ZenCart - that you would consider using that program as well?
    I just find it interesting that many of the gurus here have claimed that AppleCart is outdated, ineffective, and simply a "piece of junk".
     But when you look at the ease of use, the multi-functions, the expanded capabilities including an in-house gift certificate module, a fully integrated off-line data base management system, full system support, and FREE updates - and extraordinary results with the search engines - why would anyone consider an "open source" solution such as osCommerce or ZenCart?
    Whats in it for the "gurus"? Why stay stuck on providing a Ford Pinto when you can have Corvette? Unless of course, they can keep a customer "locked in" as their customer by writing "special scripts" that can`t be modified, except by them? Hmmmmm....
    With AppleCart, the gurus still can have a stream of revenue as a VAR,  - or even by re-designing the display templates, since they are html based. But they don`t need to write any code, since the AppleCat solution is fully supported by the design company, Spads.com. The data base is exported as a flat file, so the template fields are easily editable. (Getting way too technical here.   )
    Unless of course - the client has no money. But then we have already gone down that road before, eh?.

If I have read this correctly, blondie prefers AppleCart, most the others here prefer ZenCart or Oscommerce. It`s clear blondie thinks eveyone should change to Applecart. But I doubt most that use the other carts, are going to change.  Probably because, as said, they`re happy with the carts they`re using.

Yes BlondieBlue prefers AppleCart.
    NO, BlondieBlue does not think that everyone should change to AppleCart !!
    In fact, I never said such a thing. (There is no need to get your "panties in a wad" over this. I was simply commenting on the features and aspects of the AppleCart Shopping Cart and Data Management System. I am a avid beleiver that folks here at SuN should have information on multiple solutions. And that the discussion should not preclude one solution from being discussed, simply because a portion of the SuN family dismisses that solution.
    I agree that for a small online store like yours, osCommerce or ZenCart is a rather good solution. But when you start to look at the mega and super stores, carrying hundreds of items - then AppleCart is a very formidable competetor to osCommerce or ZenCart.
    And here`s why ... please help me a little bit here - if I wanted to do a price change for an entire line of products - I`ll use GoTruckStop.com as an example - say I wanted to do offer an across the board discount for the entire line of Shifter Knobs - can ZenCart do a "Search and Replace" with 1 click - and change All 25 Shifter Knobs prices- and then with 1 more click - upload those price changes into the store?
    And then when I want to go back to the original price - 1 click reverts the prices back to the original price for ALL 25 Shifter Knobs - and with 1 more click re-uploads the original prices into the store?
    ..... Or do you need to do price changes 1 item at a time?
    I`m not trying to be confrontational here - just simply attempting to understand the differences between AppleCart and ALL the other solutions.
    I`ll compare more features later - but lets just address price changes for now, ok?blondieblue2007-5-13 17:46:26
  • TwilightPicsTwilightPics subscriber Posts: 2
    And here`s why ... please help me a little bit here - if I wanted to do a price change for an entire line of products - I`ll use GoTruckStop.com as an example - say I wanted to do offer an across the board discount for the entire line of Shifter Knobs - can ZenCart do a "Search and Replace" with 1 click - and change All 25 Shifter Knobs prices- and then with 1 more click - upload those price changes into the store...Wrong again blondieblue, there are several contribution`s for oscommerce that allow you to do this.You can keep trying to push AppleCart on everyone. The truth is the power of proprietary system can`t even come close to that of open source solutions. The only good thing about AppleCart and similar programs is it allows complete idiots to build and run a website.  Which is a great thing for the idiots, but not such a great thing for developers and even some buyers (visitors to the site).It`s funny how you mentioned  we should "think outside the box" when it`s you who is clearly closed minded.
    Wrong again blondieblue, there are several contribution`s for oscommerce that allow you to do this.
    BlondieBlue`s response :
    Great, can you please provide a site that uses that exact feature, so I can contact them to ask them how that function is working for them?
    You can keep trying to push AppleCart on everyone. The truth is the power of proprietary system can`t even come close to that of open source solutions. The only good thing about AppleCart and similar programs is it allows complete idiots to build and run a website.  Which is a great thing for the idiots, but not such a great thing for developers and even some buyers (visitors to the site).It`s funny how you mentioned  we should "think outside the box" when it`s you who is clearly closed minded.
    As far as trying to ram something down people`s throats .... gee, I didnt think that an non-emotional discussion could get so emotional on your part - especially when you violate the terms here at SuN by calling folks complete idiots simply because they have a difference of opinion or are asking questions. I find it amazing that the "gurus" here are so closed minded and have not even contacted Spads.com to understand more about AppleCart - I guess the gurus are just soooooo smart - that they already know it ALL !!
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    As far as trying to ram something down people`s throats .... gee, I didnt think that an non-emotional discussion could get so emotional on your part - especially when you violate the terms here at SuN by calling folks complete idiots simply because they have a difference of opinion or are asking questions. I find it amazing that the "gurus" here are so closed minded and have not even contacted Spads.com to understand more about AppleCart - I guess the gurus are just soooooo smart - that they already know it ALL !!
    I have gone the the site and found it not too helpful to learn about the program, what it can or can not do. There is a list of lastest features .
    As for SUN`s terms of use... I think this thread is way off track from the original post. Maybe a new thread to compare ecommerce solutions would have been a better forum.  There is no need to get your "panties in a wad" over this. Also, the tone of your posts and "labeling" people gurus etc. aparently because they hold a different opinion than yours is offensive.
    The biggest problem I have with this prolonged dialogue is you keep saying the same thing over and over again... and keep spewing the same misrepresentations over and over again. Thus, it is not helping SUN members.
    In an effort to end the spread of misinformation, this is my last post on this matter.
    Respectfully submitted, Rolandvwebworld2007-5-13 20:42:30

Also, the tone of your posts and "labeling" people gurus etc. aparently because they hold a different opinion than yours is offensive.
    The biggest problem I have with this prolonged dialogue is you keep saying the same thing over and over again... and keep spewing the same misrepresentations over and over again. Thus, it is not helping SUN members.
    In an effort to end the spread of misinformation, this is my last post on this matter.
    Respectfully submitted, Roland

First of all, the term "guru" is an acknowledgement of a level of expertise far above others here. It was never intended to degrade or demean anyone. It was simply an attempt to identify those that have skills far superior than us "peasants".
    No need to run away - I simply was asking for some real life examples where price changes can be made within the ZenCart or osCommerce style store to multiple items - without have to go each and every item.. In other words, a "Global Search and Replace" for a difined group of products. (Now thats a real life application within retailing !!)
    There is also another thread going in the Sales area heree in the forums talking about customer discounts based upon a customer profile - and the use of accumulating sales history to impliment those multiple level discounts. (Again, thats a real life application that in fact CraigL was asking about.) And Roland you even admitted that your ZenCart application did not offer such a feature.
    So why be so closed minded - when in your bag of tools not only would you be able to offer your ecommerce clients your ZenCart solution - but also be able to offer another solution with the AppleCart Shopping Cart and Data Base Management System.
    ...we`re not going to play this game of "gurus" and "peasants" anymore. I`m with Roland and TwilightPics on this one.
    Well thats pretty obvious, because it has been the "3 Amigos" here that have shown just how closed minded some of the "gurus" are - when it comes to other shopping cart solutions.
    So now, rather than providing actual web sites that are using the things theat the "3 Amigos" have posted about ... the 3 Amigos "pick up their marbles and go home".
    I can understand passion in your positions ... but somehow this entire scenerio reminds of Ann Coulter`s book ... "How to Argue with a Liberal and Win". In her book she outlines that when a Liberal`s arguements fall flat on their face ... since their arguements and positions are based solely on emotion - then Liberals will attempt to go "personal" (like TwighlightPics did with his "idiots" comment) or Liberals will run away (like you and Roland have done)
    I`m not saying that the 3 Amigos are Liberals ... I`m just saying that it reminds of Ann Coulter`s analysis of  Liberals.
    Again, all I`m asking for is a few web sites where they are using an either osCommerce or ZenCart - that offers a "Global Search & Replace" for multiple price changes - since that function is a common retailer practice (both for bricks & mortar as well as on-line stores.)blondieblue2007-5-14 23:30:45
  • TwilightPicsTwilightPics subscriber Posts: 2
    Again, all I`m asking for is a few web sites where they are using an either osCommerce or ZenCart - that offers a "Global Search & Replace" for multiple price changes - since that function is a common retailer practice (both for bricks & mortar as well as on-line stores.)Oscommerce "Quick Price Updates", installs in 3 easy steps - you don`t even have to understand PHP coding to install.
    Oscommerce "Quick Price Updates", installs in 3 easy steps - you don`t even have to understand PHP coding to install.
    Well thank you. Now can you provide a link to the program or to a web site that is currently using it? (Not that I don`t beleive you  - since in your words folks that use AppleCart are "idiots". And I don`t want to seem like an "idiot".)
  • olegoleg subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    blondieblue,
    I`ve made this thread to discuss the pros and cons of osCommerce, not AppleCart.  Thank you for hijacking my thread.
    I am a bit confused as to why you feel the need to defend AppleCart so vigorously when no one is attacking it to begin with.  Nowhere in the thread was it mentioned that AppleCart is junk or that folks who use it are idiots.  You`re the one saying these things.
    You feel like the "gurus" have some hidden agenda in promoting osCommerce or Zen Cart?  No one has a hidden agenda in promoting open-source software, as no one directly benefits from it.  On the other hand, you seem to have some kind of agenda in promoting AppleCart.  My guess is that either you are somehow affiliated with Spads, or trying to convince yourself more than anyone else that you`ve picked the right product.  Or do you just like to argue for the sake of arguing?
    Regardless, if you do have any experience with osCommerce, I will be glad to hear about it.  Otherwise, feel free to start your own thread for singing the praise of AppleCart.

blondieblue,
    I`ve made this thread to discuss the pros and cons of osCommerce, not AppleCart.  Thank you for hijacking my thread.
    I am a bit confused as to why you feel the need to defend AppleCart so vigorously when no one is attacking it to begin with.  Nowhere in the thread was it mentioned that AppleCart is junk or that folks who use it are idiots.  You`re the one saying these things.
    You feel like the "gurus" have some hidden agenda in promoting osCommerce or Zen Cart?  No one has a hidden agenda in promoting open-source software, as no one directly benefits from it.  On the other hand, you seem to have some kind of agenda in promoting AppleCart.  My guess is that either you are somehow affiliated with Spads, or trying to convince yourself more than anyone else that you`ve picked the right product.  Or do you just like to argue for the sake of arguing?

Thank you for coming back to your thread -
    As far as an open discussion about osCommerce - a true open discussion allows for differing opinions and options vs an osCommerce solution. (I guess I was mis-informed that that a discussion forum is just that - a discussion forum - with the ability to offer differeing opinions - not a bunch of "group think".
    As far as you accusing me pulling name calling out of thin air - please review the following post from Page 3 of this thread ...
    TwilightPics posted on May 13, 2007 ...
    "The only good thing about AppleCart and similar programs is it allows complete idiots to build and run a website.Which is a great thing for the idiots, but not such a great thing for developers and even some buyers (visitors to the site)."
    I, in fact, brought this name calling to the attention of the forum ---
    Blondieblue posted on May 13, 2007 --
    "I didnt think that an non-emotional discussion could get so emotional on your(TwilightPics) part - especially when you (TwilightPics) violate the terms here at SuN by calling folks complete idiots simply because they have a difference of opinion or are asking questions."
    I`ll post more soon in response to your post ...

• vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Oleg,
    I`m sorry that I had a hand in the hijacking... I got back to my senses a lttle too late.
    OsCommerce does work, but in selecting an ecommerce solution you need to think of any and all the potential things you may want the program to do. So, you can select the most appropriate ecommerce solution. As I said before, I prefer Zen Cart to osCommerce if you want to sell music or videos via downlaod because it is a fundtion that is alread built in.
    The drawbacks to osCommerce and Zen Cart is they are sefl-supporting, in that you have to do some research in thier respective forums and documentation to find answers (unless you have an experienced osCommerce or Zen Cart web designer working to set up your site.
    The advantage, once set-up, you can manage the site, products, pricing, specials, sales, newsletter...etc fairly easily.
    If you have any specific questions, do not hesitate to email or PM me.
    ~Rolandvwebworld2007-5-16 23:20:52
    Thanks Roland.  Good to know about the built in file downloading capabilities. 
    I guess what I liked about osCommerce the most is how well written and organized the code is.  I was able to skin my first osCommerce website in a matter of hours; and I haven`t even looked at php in the past 5 years.
    On the other hand I don`t know what its functional capabilities are from the business standpoint, and was curious if it has any known drawbacks - hence the reason for this thread... (Though one of the benefits of an open source solution is that functionality can easily be added or modified as necessary - unlike a "canned" perl/cgi script).
    As far as an open discussion about osCommerce - a true open discussion allows for differing opinions and options vs an osCommerce solution. (I guess I was mis-informed that that a discussion forum is just that - a discussion forum - with the ability to offer differeing opinions - not a bunch of "group think".
    Well what is your opinion of osCommerce then?  You never offered one!  I would like to hear negative opinions as well as positive ones; instead you`re off talking about a completely different product.  If you had any experience with osCommerce and are dissatisfied with it for some reason, let`s hear it!
    On the other hand I don`t know what its functional capabilities are from the business standpoint, and was curious if it has any known drawbacks - hence the reason for this thread... (Though one of the benefits of an open source solution is that functionality can easily be added or modified as necessary - unlike a "canned" perl/cgi script).
    First of all, the term  "easily added or modified" is a falsehood - since the need for "beta testing" is integral to any software - prior to implimentation. Canned programs have the fiduciary responsibily & obligation to be "beta tested" prior to release - vs - "open source" where the "retailer" could become the guinea pig.
    With all that said  -
    Lets look at capabilities (since that is one of your criterea)-
    Lets start with a clear chalkboard and start to design a shopping cart/data base - this way we can see how osCommerce currently measures up.
    When looking at a shopping cart/data base there are 2 sides of the equation - front of the house & back office.
    Lets start with back office -
    I would want -

The ability to manage the "entire" product catalog - without effecting the look of the store - till I want to change the "store". (off-line vs on-line)
    The ability to change prices across a wide latitude of criterea - catagories, sub-categories, departments, price ranges, vendors (all user defined) (ie. "Global Search & Replace)
    The abilty to have unlimited vendors, with able to select if that vendor is a drop-shipper or if the product is carried within inventory.
    The ability to keep a product in the data base - even when that product is "back-ordered" or not available - and then able to reactivate that product when available or "in-stock" with a simple click.
    Able to "Re-sort" the order of products within the store, depts, categories, sub-categories, or other user defined basis. (Analogy: the "end-cap" in a physical store is the "hot selling area".)
    Able to create a "catalog" of selected items - for printing, file making, emailing or burning onto a cd and have that catalog available in .pdf format - with direct click thru`s of products listings and images.
    I`ll leave it at that for now ...
    Lets see if others can add to the "wish list" of the perfect shopping cart data base - and then we can see how osCommerce measures up.blondieblue2007-5-15 23:18:14