WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Linking to Increase SEO

PDWPDW subscriber Posts: 3
Can someone please explain to me how "linking" increases a websites SEO?  I have read some posts and some articles about linking and I am thinking of starting my own linking campaign but I do not know where to start.  Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    RichardBuggyRichardBuggy subscriber Posts: 4
    Google treats links a bit like a vote in a popularity contest. The site with the most links to it must be the most popular. Some tips I`ve heard are:1. Links have a greater weight if the content on the sites is similar2. Links have a greater weight if the link text is similar to the site it is linking to (so you want other sites to link to the text "leather gear" instead of "www.wedustuff.com")3. Three-way links have a greater weight than two-way (i.e. A -> B -> C -> A is better than A -> B -> A)The best place to start is find sites with similar content and try exchanging links with them.   Rich
  • Options
    ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    It`s not about the most links, it`s about the highest quality links. A single link from an authoritative site can outweigh 100 links from irrelevant and/or unimportant site locations.The best way to start is to understand your market, and identify those sites that carry the greatest level of authority. In many cases you can accomplish this through competitive keyword research; i.e. determine which keywords are most appropriate and most trafficked for your niche, search for them on major search engines, and track which sites consistently show up on the first page - you`ve got a pretty good indication of which sites are authoritative on that subject. Then go further and track which sites link in to those sites, and you`ve immediately got a large pool of sites to target for inbound links.We`re just scratching the surface here, we can go much deeper for sure, but anyone interested in this subject would do well to read this - then come back here and we can get down to some more nitty-gritty.
  • Options
    PDWPDW subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks Chuck, your feedback is much appreciated.  I will read up a little more on this subject and will post for more questions, as I am sure I will have many more.
  • Options
    bahhumbagbahhumbag subscriber Posts: 0
    Apologies for hijacking the thread, but roughly how many links is enough. Obviously, how long is a piece of string, but bear with me!
    Lets say for one keyword, you rank half way down page 2 on google uk. Lets then say, you acquire 150 half decent relevant links. Could that theoretically be enough to push you up a page, push you up one notch or have absolutely no impact whatsoever.

• Options
    crave2livecrave2live subscriber Posts: 1
    Great Post! Very informative for anyone that is looking to learn how links effect their SEO rankings! Great Reply Chuck!
  • Options
    DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    It`s not about the most links, it`s about the highest quality links. A single link from an authoritative site can outweigh 100 links from irrelevant and/or unimportant site locations.

I hope everyone commits this advice to memory. It`s right on the money!

David Jackson
  • Options
    addyj672addyj672 subscriber Posts: 8
    Back linking is process of getting backlinks. Backlinks are incoming
    links to a website or web page. The number of backlinks is one
    indication of the popularity or importance of that website or page Link building has become so important to improve search engine
    positioning. There are many different ways of getting back linking.
    Article Submission, Forum Posting, Directory Submission, Blog Commenting, Press Releases, Social bookmarking
  • Options
    michaelbishmichaelbish subscriber Posts: 0

Article submission is a great way to generate traffic for your site.
    When your articles are informative then definitely the visitors to your
    site often. This helps to get more traffic.
  • Options
    BJ_CBJ_C subscriber Posts: 2
    Why not submite to the google webmaster tools.
  • Options
    johncameronjohncameron subscriber Posts: 0
    Linking is the most important aspect of the seo. Use relevant site
    linking with the keyword if possible. That will double the chance of
    the website to get higher rank. Some other tactics are also available such as article submission, blog posting and so on.
  • Options
    WebJunkyWebJunky subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    focus on on page SEO. without proper on page SEO all internet marketing efforts are short term and frankly wasted
    focus on keyword research, meta tags, keyword density, heading tags, interlinking, proper keyword usage
  • Options
    vivekshuklavivekshukla subscriber Posts: 130 Silver Level Member
    These are some SEO techniques to get more backlink are:
    PPT submission
    Article submission
    web 2.0 submission
    Social Bookmarking
    Image Bookmarking
    Blog Commenting
    Forum Posting
  • Options
    CarlbrewsterCarlbrewster subscriber Posts: 160 Silver Level Member
    Link building is one of the most important ranking factor in SEO. But make sure whatever you're doing for link build must be under google guidelines. If you violate the guidelines then your site could be penalized.

For link building you can do following activities :
    1. Article posting
    2. Blogging
    3. Guest posting
    4. Press release
    5. Forum posting
    6. Classifieds
    7. Blog commenting
  • Options
    anushkachhakrabartianushkachhakrabarti subscriber Posts: 219 Silver Level Member
    External Links are hyper links that point at (target) any domain other than the domain the link exists on (source). In layman's terms, if another website links to you, this is considered an external link to your site.
  • Options
    anushkachhakrabartianushkachhakrabarti subscriber Posts: 219 Silver Level Member
    Update Your Content Regularly

You’ve probably noticed that we feel pretty strongly about content. Search engines do, too. Regularly updated content is viewed as one of the best indicators of a site’s relevancy, so be sure to keep it fresh.