WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Need a garment prototype- designer or manufacturer?

mbradfordmbradford subscriber Posts: 2 Member
edited November 2015 in Developing Your Invention
I have illustrations of my women`s garment invention and need to have a prototype made.  Should I be looking for a local seamstress/designer to do this or for a manufacturer? 
Will a manufacturer do just a prototype- I thought they only worked in large numbers?
Thanks so much for any feedback.

Comments

• mbradfordmbradford subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks Craig- that`s really helpful.  I`m posting an ad on Craigslist and unsure whether to look for a designer or a seamstress or a tailor...maybe I`ll just throw all 3 titles in there and see who comes my way.  It`s very helpful to know what questions to ask when meeting with them to find the right fit.
  • bookloverbooklover subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    Have you tried trying to make the prototype yourself?  When I first came up with my product, I put it together with fabric glue.  I then had a tailor make prototypes (he signed a confidentiality agreement).  However, the best thing I ever did for my product was invest in a cheap sewing machine (under $100) and learn to sew.  It`s not as hard as you think.  Even though it was sloppy at first, it gave me the opportunity to play with the product and make it the best it could be.  Every time I thought I had it down, I would come up with a way to improve it.  Whether you are going to bring it to market yourself or try to license your product, you still have to bring the best, most thought out version of your product to the table.  A seamstress or a tailor won`t necessarily have an interest in spending hours deciding how a particular part should be sewn, but since it`s your vision I bet you will, and I bet you`ll actually enjoy doing it.  You will also save A LOT of money this way.booklover1/23/2009 5:12 PM
  • kathleenfasanellakathleenfasanella subscriber Posts: 0
    I suggest visiting www.fashion-incubator.com for all the ins and outs of starting a business like this. I guess you could call it the "Start up nation" of the apparel industry except it dominates its niche. It draws over 8,000 visitors daily; a large brain trust.
    I`ve worked in the garment industry for almost 30 years and I`ve seen people make a lot of well meaning assumptions, most of them false. Generally, I don`t recommend hiring a local seamstress, they charge a lot more than professionals do. I know ladies who sew from home who charge twice as much as I do -or more- by the hour and it takes them two or three times longer to do it. Also, don`t assume you have to produce large quantities. The fact is, it`s not the size of one`s order but the size of one`s "attitude" (not saying you have one). Like I said, there`s lots of things people think are true about the industry that just aren`t. But it does matter who you know and you need to go where they hang to find them.
    Oh, and you don`t want to hire a "designer". Trust me on that. Also, as a matter of legal standing, if you create the product causing it to be, *you* are the manufacturer legally. The person who sews it is a contractor. This is a matter of liability and not my opinion.
  • mbradfordmbradford subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for all of the helpful advice.
    In response to your question, Bazoon, I am just talking about having one item of clothing made.  I need to have a prototype made before I can pitch my idea to a company in hopes of getting them to license it.  Although, I have recently been told that good illustrations may be sufficient so now I`m trying to figure out if I need a prototype or not.
  • JanniceJannice subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi,
    I was wondering what cut and sew company you used.  I live in the Tampa bay area and am starting my own women`s clothing line.  I would love to know the name of the company and if you were pleased with the final out come.  Thank you.
  • kathleenfasanellakathleenfasanella subscriber Posts: 0
    If you live in Tampa, check the listings in Miami, there`s tons of operations around there. More importantly tho, you need to be prepared for that step. Usually, you find a cut and sew place from your pattern maker. Then, you need to know how to interview and select a contractor. Otherwise, you can lose a lot of money. See my site for more, it`s the "start up nation" for apparel manufacturers. http://fashion-incubator.com
    Good luck!
  • JanniceJannice subscriber Posts: 0
    Thanks for the information.
  • LinenLinen subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi to all and i want to say Thanks to  Craig, his psot really very helpful.  I`m posting an ad on Craigslist and unsure whether to look for a designer or a seamstress or a tailor.   It`s very helpful to know what questions to ask when meeting with them to find the right fit. Thanks agian..._________________________________________________________
    Cheap Wholesale Bed Sheets | Duvet Covers
  • GustavoGustavo subscriber Posts: 8 Member
    If you are searching for wholesale garment manufacturers in USA, I can suggest you to go with Frerez.

Address:
    5000 Lankershim Blvd North Hollywood,
    CA 91601-4222 United States