WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

how far ahead are monthly glossy magazines sent to printers?

lisavetalisaveta subscriber Posts: 8
edited July 2012 in Marketing
For example, is the December issue of Oprah already finished, and at the printers?

Comments

• LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    Some of the magazines for which I write are in production up to six months in advance.  One has already sent me a copy of the printed December issue.It does depend on the publication, its size and the market in which it is produced.  I design ads for clients with placement in several regional magazines and their print deadlines are about 90 days before release of the issue.- J.
  • menappimenappi subscriber Posts: 2
    I can only speak for what I've experienced personally. I run ads in multiple large magazines and ad materials are usually due, at the latest, almost 3 weeks before the issue gets mailed out. Sure, the editors may be working on the stories for the next 6 months but these thing aren't being printed 4 months in advanced, they get printed a few weeks ahead, if that.
    For example, here is the advertising schedule for one of the magazines I'm running ads in right now.
    August IssueAd Materials are due 7/18Mail Date 8/6
    I can't say if this is how they all work but this is a major publication so I can only assume others are similar. Hopefully that helps?