WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Marketing

MAC06MAC06 subscriber Posts: 1
edited December 2006 in Grab Bag

Hi My name is Deborah and I am an new small homebased business owner. I have been in business for 3 months now and I have not had that great of a business as I did before becoming an business owner. I do the same things now that I did before becoming an business owner. I make and sell candles, bath and body products, adult cakes and gift baskets.

Waht are the best marketing tools for someone on a small budget?
Where can I find affordable printing suppliers for flyers, door hangers and more?
I live in the Detroit,Mi area.

Comments

• Options
    sagemediasagemedia subscriber Posts: 5
    Consider signing up with online business directories - many of which offer free listing services. You`ll appear lower on the list of course, but it may bring you some additional traffic, and if the directory has a high pagerank that will help you in the search engine ranking department as well.I would not recommend VistaPrint. The quality (in the orders we`ve placed with them) was unacceptably low. Yes you can get "free" business cards with them, but they look terribly amateurish and include advertising for VistaPrint on each one. Maybe they`ve improved since we sampled their services, but my own personal experience with them has not been good.Running a design business, I`ve tried dozens of print shops, and have trade&brokerage accounts with a few of the better ones. Feel free to drop me a line if you`re interested in a specific item.You might also want to consider starting a "blog" on your website (I`m assuming you have a website). Fill it with interesting news, articles and resources, then get the link out there. It`s a great way of attracting your target market... they come for the interesting information, and hopefully stick around to check out the items you sell.Free local classifieds and newsgroups are also a good method if you don`t have a website - most major cities have at least a few.Reciprocal linking is fine, but it doesn`t have the effect it once did. And a reciprocal link with a poorly rated site can actually hurt your marketing efforts. So be careful who you trade links with - besides, do you really want your competitors advertising on your website?Best of luck,Chanie
  • Options
    starpointestarpointe subscriber Posts: 2
    I highly recommend PrintingForLess.com.  They are very professional, have been praised with countless business awards (including Inc. 500, and Forbes).  Their prices are great and they`re great to work with.  You can use Referral Code: RP17CMR9Y in the Promotional Code field to get $25 off your first order.  (I think I get some kickback from that...maybe not.)  If you prefer, just go to their website and order.  I`ve used them and I think they`re great.  
  • Options
    MichaelBrMichaelBr subscriber Posts: 0
    I agree that http://www.printsmadeeasy.com for my business cards. If anyone is interested, you can use this Promotional Coupon Code to get 15% off your first purchase: CLC5123
  • Options
    missgistmissgist subscriber Posts: 0
    thank u for that!!!!!! it works!
  • Options
    truetigertruetiger subscriber Posts: 0
      I am a dealer of vistaprint and a graphic designer.  The card will need gloss paper or mattie finish which ever you prefer the paper is under #10 and your custom logo can be reasonable done for less than $50.  You can contact me ceslima@peoplepc.com</A>

• Options
    eventbrandereventbrander subscriber Posts: 6
    #10 is flimsy. Currently my cards are on #150 and cost an arm and a leg but it carries its weight in gold.
  • Options
    InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    Great tips from everyone!