WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

8 month baby, husband, dad, and a business?

ARiskARisk subscriber Posts: 4
edited March 2007 in Home-Based Businesses
Hello....So is it indeed possible to take care of it all?  I am just getting started with my small business.  And am meeting most of my business plan goals...but am currently feeling overwhelmed.  Does anyone have any trade secrets on how to be successful without going crazy (or does the crazy part just come with the territory)?

Comments

• Options
    vegsoyladyvegsoylady subscriber Posts: 0

Here is the question for you.....
    Is it the money that is overwhelming?....starting up a business is costly and no one can say it isn`t so. Sometimes the auto ship is a little higher than budget will allow the stretch. I personally have been involved in many of these home biz in the last 8 years....looking for the right fit for the budget and for the family fit. The quotas are sometimes hard to meet and then you get discouraged.
     If it is and it is in your soul to do the home based business, then "embrace it". Except that the baby comes with you or not....maybe hit the stores after hubby is home? Get into a groof not a rut of selling. Develop your "why" you are involved as well! Stay focused on the why and develop the goals as well....change them as you grow and as your family grows. It is only overwhelming if you allow it to be....people really enjoy children so why not figure out how.
    Check out my website for an idea of a home based business that is compatible for myself and many other stay at home moms....with no quotas, stress nor is it a high auto ship....it is only 39.95/month for the candle club.
    www.candlemoney4mom.scent-team.com</A>  enter to win a FREE 16 oz candle while you are there too!
    Love to help you and encourage you and even have you as a partner in this business!
    FOCUS....moms can do anything!!
    Theresa

• Options
    SolidGrndSolidGrnd subscriber Posts: 11
    Personally...for me...the key is organization and planning. I have a schedule...and I try very hard to stick to the schedule (which is easier said than done on most occasions). I think there is the need for flexbility in your schedule enough though to handle when things happen. I work a full time day job, run a non-profit "in my spare time", have a son with special needs, and a husband who is a bit more traditional in his thinking about roles of the husband and wife.
    I think the other big key to not going COMPLETELY looney (some insanity is necessary) is support. Make sure you have the support of those around you who you can rely on...your wife/husband, your family, your friends. When needed in a pinch...do you have someone you can call to catch the kid...is there someone you can count on to help out if you need to fold 5000 brochures in less than a week? A solid support system is a must. And as one of our other community member points out regularly...don`t be afraid to delegate when you can.
    Coming here to SuN is a great way to settle the mind when you get too terribly overwhelmed though. Give yourself a SuN break on occasion and you will do just fine! Congrats on the new little one BTW!!!
  • Options
    CollegeCoachCollegeCoach subscriber Posts: 8
    I am in a situation somewhat similiar to you. I have a 20 month old, my husband travels over 180 days a year, I don`t live near family, I am finishing up my PhD, and I am also trying to get my business up and running. A lot of people look at me and think that it isn`t possible to have so many things going on at the same time, but with a good plan and motivation I have found you can get everything you want done.
    There are two things that have been crucial for me: 1) I write everything down as it comes to me. Life with a 20 month old means I am always stopping and going and it is just impossible to remember everything. 2) Have a detailed business plan and make sure you are accomplishing your goals. I am somewhat revamping my original plan, and I am finding the more detailed I am the more I get done.
    I try to get everything centralized, and I use a wonderful online program that has free and for pay options called Backpack. It has helped me keep both my personal and business life in order. It is my virtual `to-do` list.
    Good luck with everything you want to accomplish. Remember, to keep your focus and things will start coming together for you.CollegeCoach2007-3-6 22:18:1
  • Options
    ARiskARisk subscriber Posts: 4
    Thanks everyone!  I took this weekend and cleared out a corner in my basement and set up shop.  I have a nice clean and organized area (now).  I have note pads all around my house so if I think of something I write it down...then I compile my "thoughts" in the morning.  So far so good.  I have a HUGE to do list...but I can only do one at a time...and that`s how I am approaching that list....one thing at a time & at least one a day.My husband works in a cube all day, is taking two master`s classes, is writing an e-book, and is trying to start up his own business (we desperately want him to break down his cube walls!)  I am busy with the baby, house work, my business, and my dad.  We are a busy bunch...  I guess it`s easy to get overwhelmed at times.  My husband and I took the baby out to a restaurant (for the first time) and ate some burgers.  It was nice...I think we both needed a relaxing evening!
  • Options
    SolidGrndSolidGrnd subscriber Posts: 11
    Congratulations...sounds like you made the right steps to getting yourself moving in the right direction...even with all the confusion and stuff going on all the time. I knwo the feeling. Once you have a place that you can call your own though...it seems to help get the mind clear and organized too. Best of luck to you!