WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Registered Agent...can I use prepaid

SolidGrndSolidGrnd subscriber Posts: 11
Quick question...I had been looking into the prepaid legal route for my legal needs...and I am wondering if anyone knows if I can use these types of services for my registered agent when I am filing for incorporation!?

Comments

• NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    Well there are company`s that offer you 6 months to 1 year Registered agent, depending on the package you choose. Got the Exec pack so it was there for a year but then you have to pay a fee every year. 
  • SolidGrndSolidGrnd subscriber Posts: 11
    Is it expensive? Do you have anyone you would recommend!?
  • NuevolutionNuevolution subscriber Posts: 30 Bronze Level Member
    No it`s not that expensive, it`s about $200.00 a year. But if you incorporate and choose the economy pack I believe its called you get the works: you get your articles of Incorporation, your embosser with your corporate ID and Logo if you wish, you get Stock Certificates, and the Nolo Business Library which includes books  like forming a Corporation, and everything you are going to need to run your corporation. Along with that they have whats called the compliance watch email, which they send to you so you can stay on top of your Corp. Oh the best thing they give you $50,000.00 in lawyer fees if your corporate veil is pierced..The company is called: The company Corporation, check them out. http://www.corporate.com</A>There are other company`s out tere like legalzoom, and file my business, but they don`t offer as much as the Company Corp..Hope this helps you out..

That is wonderful information! Thank you sooooo much for your help! I will definitely check them out!
    Bianca,
    I was checking out your website...I am in Oregon...and I am starting anon-profit...do the same rules apply!?
    Richard,
    Thank you so much for the information! I have been endlessly reaing the IRS documents regarding 501(c)3...I also got to talk with TJ regarding this and he explained some of the differences between 501(c)3 and (c)4. I do have the applications for both state and federal filing...but I assumed (wow...here is where I should get a swift kick in the behind) that I was just not educated in this area anough to do it on my own (shame on me...BAD LEAH!!!). After spending the weekend reading all this stuff...I am just not sure what the heck I was thinking...Thank you both Bianca and Richard for letting me know I can be my own RA though...I haven`t found anywhere in this paperwork that says I can do that...so that is nice to know!
    I meet with a gentleman from SCORE again on friday to go over the finer points fo non-profiting...so hopefully he can fill in the blanks regarding Oregon law specifically!
    Thanks again!!!
    I am not sure I am understanding your question then Richard. The purpose of my organization is to provide research and information services to the families and care givers of special needs individuals. By being Non-Profit (ie: 501 (c)3) I can provide these services without causing more financial concerns for these families. As a special needs mom myself I understand that every little penny counts...and had I been given the choice back at the beginning of having someone else do the research for me for a small fee...or doing it myself...I wouldn`t have had much choice due to money constraints...and would`ve wound up doing it alone anyway. This way the services are available and accessable by these families and they are allowed to focus on their loved onesand being advocates for them...not the research that is required to be a solid advocate.
    Not sure...does that answer your question better!?
    As far as profitable...initially...probably not...but most aren`t...ultimately...this is going to be an international and VERY large non-profit...so profit should be rather large coming from contributions and donations.
    Also...if I am understanding you correctly...and I apologize if I read your post wrong...the services we are supplying are for the families of these special needs individuals. We provide resource information, support information, funding resource information etc. Providing these services to a business wouldn`t be very beneficial to them. Not to mention, our services allow the doctors to direct their patients to us...so it frees up their time for focusing on their patients medical needs instead of having to research this information for their clients. If we offered the services to the doctors themselves...then they would still have to facilitate the contact with us...then make sure the information got to their patients...it seemed like less work for the doctors involved if they could just hand their clients a brochure that told them who to go to for help finding information.
    Ultimately though...the idea behind this venture is not so much to make me tons of money...yes...I want to be able to pay my bills...but in the end...I want to make sure there is somewhere these parents can go for reliable information without the struggle and frustration of searching endlessly for it themselves. Think of Google or Yahoo...only cleaner...specialized...and not-for-profit! Think of SCORE...that is what I want to be...only to the special needs community...not small business start-ups!
    I don`t know much about taxes...which is obviously your expertise...so I really value this input! Thank you so much! Keep it coming. 
    I am definitely going to be a charitable entity...501(c)3 is what we are currently working towards. Although after speaking with a new SCORE counselor today who is very familiar with starting a non-profit...it looks like we may end up doing that in a different way which would allow me to get started without initially dealing with all of the major paperwork...but we shall see!
    IF that doesn`t work out though...we will be going ahead and filing as a 501(c)3 to start...hmmm...potentially a 501(c)4 depending on what direction we decide to take...but I do understand that any unrelated business expenses/profits would be taxable regardless of my status.