WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Home cleaning business - for a Man?

MMitchMMitch subscriber Posts: 1
edited August 2016 in Selecting a Business
I`ve been a lurker on Startupnation for a while now, and I am looking to start my own business, but I need to start it up on a shoestring and I admit, it is a bit scary. I`m giving serious thought to a home cleaning business. One, I don`t mind the work and I am a perfectionist. I realize it is different cleaning homes for someone else, but I have complete confidence that I not only can do it, but do it better. My late Mom had me clean house since the age of 10 and she was a perfectionist. Nonetheless, I`ve done some preliminary research but my knowledge of marketing is very limited. I know of flyers, a website which would be no problem (I spent 29 years in IT - software developer) and word of mouth, but I obviously would appreciate other ideas and thoughts in this area as well. Beyond the marketing, I`m looking for ideas on how to differentiate myself from the others locally in my area. How or what can I offer that makes my service a better value?  I appreciate anyone taking time to offer ideas or constructive criticism. Thanks all!

Comments

• savorytvsavorytv subscriber Posts: 0
    Sure why not, I agree with Craig, go for it!  Also once you have a company name, add yourself to Google Maps so that you will be listed locally.
    Delicious cooking videos featuring chefssavorytv7/28/2009 11:28 PM
  • susiefensusiefen subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi, Mitch.
    I think it is a great idea! And I completely agree with Molly about the real estate industry. You may also want to find local interior designers who "stage" house for realtors by preparing the interior of the house for sale. A professional stager may want to partner with you so that they can do the design and you can do the cleaning.
    I hope this helps.
    Good Luck!

• MMitchMMitch subscriber Posts: 1
    I thank all of you for the information and the advice - great advice. This is a bit of a scary notion, but I feel I will go through with it and look forward to the adventure. Another question, if I may, how do you determine a good business name? I don`t want to spend only 5 minutes thinking about a business name, but I don`t want to labor over it for a week. A professional sounding name? A cute name? What to do here? Again, thanks for the advice!
  • shemwelljrshemwelljr subscriber Posts: 2
    I clean, and I`m a man.  I do clean with my wife though.  I`m the one that started the business almost a decade ago.  I`m the one that taught my wife how to clean.  I`m the detail guy, and I notice everything.  I do the marketing, and often get the jobs.  BUT, when people talk to us, they almost always address my wife.  There is definitely a perception that men don`t know how to clean, nor do they care about cleaning.  My dad worked for us at one point, and people really looked harder at the work he did than they would have if a woman did it, and that was apartment cleaning for new tenants, so that type of cleaning isn`t as detailed, or shouldn`t have been expected to be.  He could do the same exact job that my wife and I would do, and they would pick at what he did.
    I think I could make it if my wife wasn`t part of the business, but it is harder for a guy, in my opinion, to get into cleaning.  People picture a housekeeper or maid as a woman in a dress with a feather duster, just look at the generic logos people use.  I can clean circles around just about any woman, and do a better job.  I think men can bring unique perspectives to the job.  We are usually more "fixers" in life.  I`m constantly thinking of new and better ways to do things, and save money in the process.  It is an interesting business, though it doesn`t challenge my mentally like I`d like.It is funny.  I have a mobile auto detailing business on the side.  If I detail cars, nobody thinks a thing of it.  If my wife works with me detailing, guys think it is cool that she can detail.  If I clean though, people think it is odd.  Cleaning is cleaning, and it is just perception for most people, but that is something to consider.  You asked the question, and wouldn`t have if you didn`t wonder about it yourself.We now clean private homes.  However, if you need quick income, apartment communities can be a good place to start.  You typically can get a decent volume of work, just to get started.  We started there, and then went to houses, which is more regular and doesn`t have the turnover in management like apartments.  Window cleaning is always an option, good money and VERY low investment.  Pressure washing is perceived as more "manly", and I`ve done that before, but it is harder to get regular work instead of one time jobs in that industry, unless you focus on parking lots.  I`ve cleaned my whole adult life, so I know how it works.
  • nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    A friend of mine in Winnemuca (that`s in Nevada) ran his own cleaning service.  He retired a few years ago after twenty years in the business.  And, as mentioned above, nobody cared if  he was a man or woman.  They just wanted him to follow their instructions to the letter.   My friend received most of his new clients from work of mouth referrals.
  • cameronwhitecameronwhite subscriber Posts: 0
    wow this is interesting post, i like it..
  • jerrysmithjerrysmith subscriber Posts: 0

If you are looking for a home cleaning business, then go for it because it is very fast growing and demanding business. Cleaning is a very basic need of everyone, just provide effective cleaning services and try to satisfy your customers.

• BrianMitchell1BrianMitchell1 subscriber Posts: 0
    If you own a residential house cleaning service, then you are probably always looking for ways to attract new clients and A home cleaning business can be very economical to start, and has the potential to be one of the most lucrative.
  • ReneaWoodarddReneaWoodardd subscriber Posts: 0
    You can start a cleaning business with cleaning supplies and a liability insurance policy. Advertise your services, including some pricing specials to rake in the business.will need a business card and some flyers along with a business plan. What hours and days will your work? How many homes or offices can you feasibly handle with your present staff? Will you hire anyone or work alone?Word of mouth will serve you well and clients will tell their friends. Before you know it, you'll be on your way.Word of mouth will serve you well and clients will tell their friends. Before you know it, you'll be on your way
  • jasonburtonjasonburton subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Of course not, this is a business for every gender. If this is what they supposed to be, then those furniture shop should not own by women, like the owner of http://caldwells.com/door-shop a friend of mine, she is a girl.
  • jasonburtonjasonburton subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Start a grage store or thrift shop, but I see furniture shop is a "man enough" business. Get idea from this site http://caldwells.com/
  • housecarehousecare subscriber Posts: 0
    Nice article. The way you have describe all the parameters is very good and impressive. I agree with your point of view on home cleaning services as it is a business that will never end. People will make homes and they will require professional cleaners frequent. Big thanks for sharing this article and if you need more about this business then click here : http://www.lavender.ae
  • mayley123mayley123 subscriber Posts: 1
    housecare wrote:
    Nice article. The way you have describe all the parameters is very good and impressive. I agree with your point of view on home cleaning services as it is a business that will never end. People will make homes and they will require professional Carpet cleaning in coquitlam frequent. Big thanks for sharing this article and if you need more about this business then click here : http://www.lavender.ae
    yes i agree with you because nowadays,everybody is concerned to clean their house and want to make their house dust free and clean and it is a moral duty for all.
  • lolo278lolo278 subscriber Posts: 2
    If you own a residential house cleaning service, then you are probably always looking for ways to attract new clients and A home cleaning business can be very economical to start, and has the potential to be one of the most lucrative.
  • rhat123rhat123 subscriber Posts: 1
    lolo278 wrote:
    If you own a residential house cleaning service, then you are probably always looking for ways to attract new clients and A Carpet cleaning in coquitlam business can be very economical to start, and has the potential to be one of the most lucrative.
    Is this business is only for man?