WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

The amount of money to ask for

MattTurpinMattTurpin subscriber Posts: 22
edited February 2009 in Business Planning
When you people started your businesses, you needed startup capital like I do. I`m trying to figure out how much to expect to need. Specifically, I`m looking into the advice that "all businesses save up one year`s operating expenses" before opening, on the notion that no business makes a profit on the first year. I can`t say I buy this, but I want to make all the right choices. I`m opening an espresso drink oriented cafe with some characteristics of a social club. The business itself will cost in the ballpark of 100,000. Not a big deal. I think I can be in business within a year, if 100,000 is what I need. However, my yearly operating expenses are in the ballpark of 285,000. To be frank, I don`t want to save up 20-25% of let`s say 400,000. That`s 100,000. Did any of you amass that much extra money before opening shop? If it`s what has to be done, I`ll make it happen, but to be frank again, if I had a job where I routinely saved 100,000, I`d probably be happy working there and would never have been inspired to entrepreneurship.
Is it safe to simply collect the startup cost? Is it really necessary to save a year`s worth of expenses? Any suggestions on the matter are appreciated. 

Comments

• MattTurpinMattTurpin subscriber Posts: 22
    Thanks for the reply. For clarification of what was included in my proposed budget, I`ll just make a big list. I`ll leave the numbers off for now.
    We have a 30% cost of sales - if I had done this a couple years ago, it`d have apparently been 23%, but c`est la vie.Labor alone is more than the amount of the startup loan.Rent, supplies, phone, insurance, maintenance, utilities, garbage, and misc. Taxes and loan payment weren`t included in the 280k figure. I don`t have the loan yet to determine how much I`d be repaying a month. If it works the way my personal loan did at the same bank, I can estimate something like 800 a month for an 80k loan - a fair ballpark. Not trying to be authoritative there yet - 9,600 a year? No clue there. I`m still figuring out how the taxes and labor expenses work. The only part of labor I understand is the salary. I`m still figuring out how much extra gets paid to the government.I`m working with consultants to get the rough numbers to fill in the blanks. The 280k is a rough estimate of other espresso houses of similar situation to my own. The specific numbers will be catered to the specifics of my own situation. For example, I`m keeping staff to the absolute minimum, the proposed rent is the high end of the possible spectrum. In summary, I still have an awful lot of flexibility to make the budget work.I`ll explain. When I first had the idea, I was totally ignorant. I thought I could fund everything via a loan, a loan that would be easy to get (lol). I was "only" going to borrow 3-500,000. Once I got most of my data, I went to the bank to get the reality. "Let me ask you a blunt question," the loan officer said. "How much money do you have?" I said, "Hmm, well, I`ve got stocks, and tax returns coming, so let`s say 2,000? Something like that." He said, "That`ll buy you a lot of coffees but if you want to work with us, you`ll have to bring around 25% to the table." I thought the whole business was dead. If I wanted 300,000, I`d need 75,000 dollars!I went back to the grindstone and made my idea infinitely less extravagant. I like this loan officer. He tells it like it is, and I needed the bucket of cold water in my face that people call reality. I didn`t have reality in my business plan. I think I do now. He likes my idea, and if I can come to the table with the right equity, the topic of another thread I started in the financing forums, this is a sure deal.So, since you corroborated the advice I was already given, I`m going to take that advice. I`ll definitely collect more money than I need. It does seem smart. I wanted to do something to the effect even before I knew how financing worked. Then when I learned how the banks worked, the surplus safety money was the first to go. Seems a compromise is in order.
    Thanks, Craig. You`ve been more help in two posts than the entire internet has been for two days. I think I`m going to like this place.
    I have lots of budgets, but they need to be fine tuned. I have a list of start up expenses from supplies to taxes to rent. I have sales vs expenses lists for one month, three months and one year. My consultants supplied the base data, and I`ve gone in and adjusted here and there for better or worse as it may be, for my own situation.
    Let me see if I can answer that fully. The cost to start the company will be 100,000 on the high end. When I plan I round up expenses and round down income. I plan to always be pleasantly surprised.
    The first month`s gross sales will be around 18,000, if we start a year from now, in Feb.The gross income with a cost of sales of 30% will be 12,600.The salary expense will be 5,729. This includes FICA and whatnot.Rent is expected to be in the ballpark of 4,000.Utilities, trash, phone around 800.Insurance 180.Paper/supplies 1,200.Maintenance & misc 300.Loans 3,300Total expense for first month: 15,509We deduct 2,909 from safety net.The 2nd month is 1,000 worse than the first because it`s a bad time for a college area cafe.
    3rd Month I don`t want to go into the nitty gritty again, so I`ll just post that the third month`s gross income (not cumulative) is expected to be 29,260 from a total sales of 38,000. It`s this month that we finally stop dipping into the safety net. In fact, we stand to profit by about 7,000 on the conservative side.
    After a year, our gross income is 284,130.What`s interesting is we allocated 108k for year`s labor. While salaries for the first two months were the cause of the deficit, by year`s end, we`ll be under our 108k mark by half. I`ll be working almost every day that first year. It`s going to be hard, but I need to get the bottom line where it should be. I have one employee who`s pretty much a partner, who can cover almost as much - won`t need two people in shop on weekends when it`ll be dead. He needs a salary of around 30k to keep the kids fed. I have no such responsibilities. I`m only going to make 25k. If the year works out well, I`ll give myself a 5k bonus to even out, and the rest will go towards repaying the loan and buffering that safety net. We project a net profit of well over 50,000. I hope I was able to answer your question. Thanks for all your help.MattTurpin2/20/2009 12:50 AM