WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Just a heads up on a packaging company

barkwheatsbarkwheats subscriber Posts: 3
edited March 2008 in Marketing
I don`t know if this is the correct place to put this information, but I had mentioned in a packaging thread about a company I had chosen to use for my packaging, Burton Packaging out of New York.  After 6 weeks of working with them, they just told me they can`t work with me anymore because my artwork is too complex, and wouldn`t give me the chance to tone it down.  They said I had to go elsewhere.
As a small business owner, you all know how valuable 6 weeks of time spent on the phone/email can be, and now it`s been tossed out the window because my artwork was too intricate.
So, I wanted to post a little "buyer beware" regarding this company so that other`s don`t have to go through the pain I`ve just gone through.
If this is in the wrong place, mods can move it to where it should go.
Thank you

Comments

• studiocheriestudiocherie subscriber Posts: 6
    I like to go local whenever I can for precisely that reason.  It may take me a little more time up front to go downtown and talk to somebody live to get the service I need, but it saves me in quality control down the road.
    What about buying blank packaging and adding your artwork by printing it on a clear label?  Maybe you are doing huge production where that wouldn`t make sense.  I know that on a relatively low cost item like dog treats, packaging cost can seem astronomical and it is tempting to go ahead and get more packaging than you need at the moment to save on the per unit cost.  I am glad I did not go that route because my packaging has changed a few times in the last year, not the artwork, but what I put it on.  The changes were in response to what the boutique owners wanted.  It`s nice to be flexible, so I am glad I did not invest a lot into the original packaging.

Not sure if any of my experience can be relevant to you.  If it is, hope it helps.
  • barkwheatsbarkwheats subscriber Posts: 3
    Thanks Cherie,
    The problem with going to a local place for me is that I live out in the boondocks along the coast of Maine.  I`ve gone through a couple iterations of packaging already and like you mentioned...shop owners voiced their opinions to me and I`ve come up on my final packaging.  Going with a clear label is out of the question, unfortunately, as my packaging needs to be compostable. 
    The closest packaging solution to me is 5 hours away.  I wish I could just go downtown, but my downtown has just a little convenience store and the town office.    Cute, but not always practical for business. 
    Thanks again!!!
  • studiocheriestudiocherie subscriber Posts: 6
    So what are you going to do now? 
  • baxtertea2075baxtertea2075 subscriber Posts: 2
    Cris-
    Thank you so much for posting this information!  I totally understand your frustration and appreciate you taking the time to share with us so hopefully we can avoid this company since they aren`t great to work with.
    Well, now I`ve found another company who`s a little more local...5 hours away.  They were at a trade show in Maine, the New England Products Trade Show, which I attended (that was 3 hours away) and I called them, told them my plight, and the guy who I`ve been talking with so far has been awesome.  I also called upon another company in Mass, but haven`t had the contact that I`ve had with this other place.  The guy seems really awesome and calls a lot, which is a far cry from what Burton did.  They never called.
    And np Lisa   
    Thanks Jack, I appreciate it!
  • besthealthbesthealth subscriber Posts: 4
    Thanks for sharing the post - sorry that you had to go through that experience. Hopefully, you will find a great match for your intricate art.......
  • MattCMattC subscriber Posts: 10
    If you had anything signed or in contract form I would report them to the Better Business Bureau - thats what they`re there for... and Consumer Affairs.   And in your letter to Consumer affairs you cc: the company and the state attorney general.
    I`m not sure whats over the top in your specific instance, if theres signed agreements, lost money etc.  But it seems like the BBB is used as a threat but under
    utilized. 
    Watch how quick their tone changes and all of a sudden, "oh wait if we change this and that you`re packaging will be fine"
    If you were just working with them and gave you quotes then
    I guess you`re S.O.L so sorry
  • ScholtyScholty subscriber Posts: 0
    If the new packaging firm works out for you would you mind sharing their contact info?
    We all could benefit from someone doing it `right`!
    Thanks...
    Absolutely!  The firm I`ve been working with has been just top notch so far.  I met them at a trade show here in Maine and the fellow, Ed, has been calling me 2-3 times a day to get things done for me.  I really couldn`t ask for better.  2 days after I first talked with him about getting a quote...I had sample boxes in my hand.  Now he`s got a way to put both flavors on one sheet, and doing a 4 color process to save me money and giving me a full color box for each flavor!  That is the coolest thing ever!!
    So...drumroll please....  the website is www.boutwellowens.com and the salesman I`m working with is Ed B.