WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

how do you choose a host?

love777love777 subscriber Posts: 13
There are SO many out there!
All I want to do is set up a website with links to different pages that may have a photo gallery and a place for comments, although I might have people email me their comments so I can review them first.

Comments

• TexaderoTexadero subscriber Posts: 0
    Definitely make a list of features you want.There are lots of comparison sites out there that are kind of spammy. They just want you to click through them so they get an affiliate earning. This may bias their opinions.My advice would be to ask for referrals from others here in the community or other associates or friends you may have.I currently have sites and client sites with three hosts:ICDSoft - These guys are pretty cheap and reliable. I`ve had several sites with them for many years.Dreamhost - Dreamhost is cheap but their reliablity is awful. I have lots of downtime problems with them.Liquid Web - We run our critical web application on one of their virtual private servers. These guys are awesome. They claim to have heroic support and it is true! I`ve called their tech support at all times of day and always had my issues resolved by very knowledgeable and friendly staff.
    Texadero2007-9-26 22:21:16
  • bytenrambytenram subscriber Posts: 9
    to answer your question about a domain and host, I would personally use Godaddy.com.  You can purchase your domain name and host your website for them at a very affordable rate.  No, I am not affiliated with Godaddy, however I do use their products and have for many years and have never been let down.

Hope this helps
  • utropicmediautropicmedia subscriber Posts: 0
    GoDaddy has numerous problems, one is that they overload their servers with hosting accounts so if one user is hogging CPU resources everyone else is affected. Not very good if you are running a shopping cart with a database backend.
    Feel free to read our article titled, "4 Things to Look for When Choosing an Internet Host":
    tion/
    Additionally, there is always good information on the Web Hosting Talk forums (webhostingtalk.com) about this issue. I would stay away from those commodity hosting businesses and stick to the more professional ones.

• SweetdreambedSweetdreambed subscriber Posts: 3
    Hello, i like siteground, they are always helpful. I was using ifasthosting the site was always down.
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    GoDaddy has numerous problems, one is that they overload their servers with hosting accounts so if one user is hogging CPU resources everyone else is affected. Not very good if you are running a shopping cart with a database backend.
    Feel free to read our article titled, "4 Things to Look for When Choosing an Internet Host":
    http://www.utropicmedia.net/blog/catego ... self_educa
    Additionally, there is always good information on the Web Hosting Talk forums (webhostingtalk.com) about this issue. I would stay away from those commodity hosting businesses and stick to the more professional ones.
     Second that.  I had to move customers off of GoDaddy because they were over priced along with other websites/databases were eating up resources on a daily basis.I personally use IX Webhosting for all of my clients and it`s a great price and service for businesses that are just starting out.sddreamweavers2007-10-25 17:2:46
  • RonElyRonEly subscriber Posts: 0
    Figure out what you need first. Look for a hosting provider Let them know what you expect from them See what they can offer if it fits your need..i think this are just the basics.