WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Domain`s Differ by Only One Letter

liveJEFFliveJEFF subscriber Posts: 1
edited March 2009 in Protecting Your Ideas
I own a domain name that I plan to use as a company name. The problem is, it differs from a major news source by only one letter. (ex. [blank][blank]y. )Would this be an issue as my business name if they are not in competition with each other, one being a news source, the other a retail line?Also, I`d rather not yet disclose specifics as I am only in planning right now. I`m sure most of you understand. Thanks!liveJEFF3/3/2009 11:49 AM

Comments

• Options
    MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2
    Yes it could cause an issue. I recall hearing about a case where Starbucks sued a small cafe "Sambucks" (the owner`s name was: Sam Buck) for copyright infringement. The owner justified that there were no Starbucks within 100 miles of where she was opening up her shop.
    Granted her shop did, too serve coffee, but customers advocated that there was a clear difference between the two shops (Sambucks sold Beef Jerky, for example).
    So while you might be a completely different kind of business, I`d still be careful. This was a great article about the Starbucks vs. Sambucks case that might give you some better insight.
  • Options
    liveJEFFliveJEFF subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks for the help, Matt. I assume the safest bet would be to consult a professional...and I will.