WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Sales People, Is this typical?

tds2ntds2n subscriber Posts: 1
edited October 2008 in Thought Leadership
I graduated two years ago with a double in Advertising and PR. I opted for a sales job at a company that I heard was paying very well. As soon as I hit the sales floor, I excelled and hit a nice pay check. I continued to do well and consistantly remained within the top five of the company, well above hundreds of other reps. Now, I`m so burnt out I can`t even stand showing up in the morning.

It`s as if I`m having the exact same conversation over, and over, and over, and over... etc. Also, as soon as I find a way to successfully exceed my quota/metrics they raise them. Maybe some of you more seasoned sales-people can tell me. Is it common for companies to raise your base pay when they promote you, while setting unrealistic quotas? I think I`m working for a company that`s becoming increasingly cheap and shady (even though they`re a "fortune 30" company). I`m looking for a way out, but don`t know if I`d go back to sales or not.. I`m kind of jaded and unmotivated now..

Comments

• daleyfla99daleyfla99 subscriber Posts: 1
    OOOO!!  I have an answer.  I have been in sales for 25 years, and the answer is sell something you like!  Makes a huge difference.  Remember, do not engage in the outside pressures of sales, all success comes from within you.  Make it a game or get another gig.  Jeffrey Gitomer is THE answer for sales people, subscribe to his Sales Caffine newsletter on his site.  Get some of his books.  Good salespeople can find a job selling anything, anywhere so it might as well be something you like.
    daleyfla9910/9/2008 3:38 PM