WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Five Reasons You Don`t Owe Income Tax, Dammit

EntrepreneurialMexEntrepreneurialMex subscriber Posts: 9

http://www.reason.com/news/show/29134.html

Here are some of the core arguments against the legality of the income tax one finds in the tax honesty movement. Devotees probably would regard them as oversimplifications. This is certainly not an all-inclusive list.
1) The IRS declares in various documents that the income tax is "voluntary." And in Flora v. U.S. (1960), the Supreme Court announced, "Our system of taxation is based upon voluntary assessment and payment."
2) In Brushaber v. Union Pacific (1916), the Supreme Court declared that "the conclusion that the 16th Amendment provides for a hitherto unknown power of taxation" is "erroneous," and thus the 16th Amendment did not give Congress any taxing powers it did not already have. Hence, an unapportioned direct tax such as the income tax still cannot be legal. (Most mainstream readings of this extremely hard-to-follow decision say the Court meant Congress always had the power to levy an income tax, and that it was merely the question whether it should have to be apportioned that was at issue.)
3) Income, for the purposes of the tax code, should not be understood in any "common sense" way but only as defined by the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court, in Merchant`s Loan and Trust Company v. Smietanka (1921), defined it as having the same meaning as in the Corporation Excise Tax of 1909-and as Irwin Schiff has written, "nothing that was received by private persons was taxable as `income` under that Act." Income is defined as "gain derived...from labor" in a previous Supreme Court decision, Stratton`s Independence v. Howbert (1913).
4) Title 26 of the U.S. Code, in which tax-related statutes are found, is inherently "void for vagueness" because it lacks precise definitions of such terms as state, United States, employee, and person. Again, "common sense" definitions aren`t good enough. (Many tax honesty types interpret the use of the word includes in the tax code as properly meaning, "is limited to.")
5) According to the tax-honesty reading of U.S. Code 26, Section 861, only income from foreigners or from overseas activity appears to actually be subject to the income tax.

WATCH
                                                                                                                                                   >>>>>>http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3867390173<<<<<<

EntrepreneurialMex12/22/2007 7:54 PM

Comments

• glgcpaglgcpa subscriber Posts: 0 Member

Yes, we have the choice to assess our tax ourselves, usually the lowest amount allowed by law OR we can choose to assess our tax using an amount greater than allowed by law - either way payment is required.

This certainly proves that taxing is legal.

Again, the "tax code" must be legal according to this quote.  There are literally thousands of pages of tax code written about "income" and what income must be taxed and at what rate.

This is just a ridiculous argument.  There are very specific definitions of employee for one.  If you are confused for one second what a "state" or "United States" or "person" is, then you have much bigger problems than this.

Why not try reading something like this:http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/arc ... 2003221573
    before you jump on a bandwagon you wish you had never seen.

(edited for formatting only, not content.)Joel12/27/2007 10:46 AM
  • EntrepreneurialMexEntrepreneurialMex subscriber Posts: 9
    So all these people from Tax Honesty and We The People and the rest of the movements and the EX IRS agents are Lying  i just want to know because i dont want to GIVE away my money if i dont have to.....would you

(((((--GOOGLE VIDEO THESE VIDEOS--))))))

The Money Masters" - "America, Freedom to Fascism" - "Zeitgeist" and "Fiat Empire"
    EntrepreneurialMex12/25/2007 2:37 PM

So all these people from Tax Honesty and We The People and the rest of the movements and the EX IRS agents are Lying  i just want to know because i dont want to GIVE away my money if i dont have to.....would you  (((((--GOOGLE VIDEO THESE VIDEOS--)))))) The Money Masters" - "America, Freedom to Fascism" - "Zeitgeist" and "Fiat Empire"

I certainly do not know of everything all of these people are claiming and perhaps there is some small amount truth to what they are saying, but NOTHING you posted is true.  I am certainly not going to waste my time trying to read through all the stuff they are saying and then research it just to prove they are wrong, when some of these people and some innocent taxpayers who have taken their advice, have already been convicted of various crimes, most importantly failure to file and/or pay income taxes - as the link I provided shows you.
    No one wants to pay more income taxes than is required by law and the ones who don`t are the ones who either take a lot of time reading the actual code, tax court cases, revenue rulings, etc. and appropriately planning and applying it to their situation or the ones who hire a competent tax professional to do that for them and then follow their advice. 
    Taking the advice of criminals (that is what you are when you have been convicted of a crime) is not the way to reduce your tax liabilities.
  • EntrepreneurialMexEntrepreneurialMex subscriber Posts: 9
    So what about the 6 million people that dont pay thier illegal income tax if you watch those Documentaries you will see those ex irs agents that dont pay income tax the many people that dont pay thier income tax EVEN---PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE  DR RON PAUL talks about this illegal tax and says it is illegal  JUST TYPE IN          INCOME TAX ON ___YOUTUBE___ why are all these people posting videos saying this tax is ILLEGAL  and by the way those supreme court cases did happen so YES IT IS TRUE 

i did do the research on income tax when i was researching my business  JUST SAYING i have very little money to start my business and i cant afford to give it away

So what about the 6 million people that dont pay thier illegal income tax if you watch those Documentaries you will see those ex irs agents that dont pay income tax the many people that dont pay thier income tax EVEN---PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE  DR RON PAUL talks about this illegal tax and says it is illegal  JUST TYPE IN          INCOME TAX ON ___YOUTUBE___ why are all these people posting videos saying this tax is ILLEGAL  and by the way those supreme court cases did happen so YES IT IS TRUE   i did do the research on income tax when i was researching my business  JUST SAYING i have very little money to start my business and i cant afford to give it away

Taxes are not illegal. 
    There are over 300 million people in the United States, so it`s reasonable to believe that at least 6 million people or  less than 2% of the  population does not make enough money to have to pay taxes.
    It`s also reasonable to believe that less than 2% of the people are just plain wrong.  Assuming you attended public school at some point in your life I am sure that you witnessed the fact that at least 2% of the students were not able to grasp simple concepts.  It`s really a small amount of people you are talking about.
    Best wishes.glgcpa12/25/2007 10:47 PM
    One final comment...
    The IRS Debunks Frivolous Tax Arguments:  http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/newsroom/art ... 24,00.html
  • nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Here is a thought on voluntary.  Citizens are expected to voluntarily comply with traffic laws.  However, that does not mean the state can not step in and force compliance if people do not comply voluntarily.
  • PiperTaxPiperTax subscriber Posts: 5
    Nevada, that`s an excellent comparison.Also, Gina`s completely right here. Don`t try to use any of these arguments with the IRS. You won`t stand a chance. Not only will the money you owe for taxes, they will add a penalty as well (for using a "frivolous" argument).
  • SalemHSalemH subscriber Posts: 4
    This thread was great.  It sounds like the Strawman / Corporation argument, where you can supposedly release yourself from all governing laws except the "law of the land."
    Nice follow up Gina.
  • daleyfla99daleyfla99 subscriber Posts: 1
    If you have some issue with paying US income tax, MOVE AWAY.  Otherwise, pay your taxes and be grateful you have a tax bill.  Because it means you have a PROFIT.  There are plenty of legal ways to pay a minimal tax amount, pay an accountant to help you with that. 
    If you think any of these tax schemes work, send a note to Wesly Snipes and his Tax accountant, who is about to go to jail for encouraging people to participate in his "taxes are illegal" program.  By the way, cough up your real identity and I will turn you in to the IRS so you can make your arguements to them.

Besides as a start up, unless you are very, very lucky you will not have to deal with income tax for at least another 8 months from here.  Very few businesses make profits in their early years.  Again, if you have a tax bill, be HAPPY.  Most of my small business clients would sell their souls for a profit right about now.
    daleyfla999/17/2008 8:14 AM
  • VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
      By the way, cough up your real identity and I will turn you in to the IRS so you can make your arguements to them. 
    They also pay a bounty on tax cheats turned in.  It was 10% of the recovered taxes the last time I heard.
    Your second statement is absolutely spot on - I wish that I had the problem of paying taxes on my profits.