WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

A PR Success story

2»

Comments

• Options
    mymobimindermymobiminder subscriber Posts: 5
    Sorry Janie, got my names mixed up.  Been a long day.  In between everything else I had to make time for mom`s b-day.   So I`m now trying to catch up.  Wow, she`s celebrating her 28th again.
  • Options
    PRProPRPro subscriber Posts: 25
    Hi Everyone,
    It`s so nice to share some positive thoughts in today`s times!

Sandra, instead of writing your stories, have you tried calling the various reporters and editors directly to share your unique ideas?

If you are having trouble writing, it may be better use of your time to think of an interesting story idea for a specific reporter and then call that reporter directly.

There is more information about this at http://www.startupnation.com/steps/77/s ... ations.htm, http://www.startupnation.com/blogs/inde ... s-nothing/, and www.rembrandtblog.com.

Hope this helps,
    Melanie
  • Options
    SandraSSandraS subscriber Posts: 4
    Hi, This is Sandra again! I have another question about your PR approach. Do you focus more on promoting yourself or your product?
    Thanks, Sandra
  • Options
    Hi Sandra,
    If you are an expert in a particular field and have valuable, unique information to share, then you offer yourself as an expert for stories.

For your products, you only want to talk about the benefits and what they do for people. Avoid "selling" your product and think about what the reporter would find interesting.

Your pitch should be catered to a specific reporter and what he or she writes about.

Hope this helps,
    Melanie
  • Options
    SandraSSandraS subscriber Posts: 4
    Thank you. That helps.
    Sandra
  • Options
    I pretty much follow what Melanie said,

when I used to write commercials for my clients on radio I would always steer them away from super selling the product or service, and focus on the emotional response to the use or dis-use of the product.

I use this same emotional approach when I write press releases.

Not every press release is a hit, but I feel if I can get to the "heart" of the matter with the author or editor, then I have a good chance of getting the reader to do the same, and in the end sell product.

But, I am not a PR expert. 

• Options
    Janie,

Well I hadn`t ever thought of it that way, because up until recently, I didn`t have much success.  I had read a lot of books like "Think and Grow Rich", "The Magic of Thinking Big", "How to win friends and influence people", as well as many books by John Maxwell.  I`ve started a few companies some with minmal success.  I`ve worked hands on with several clients to develope successful radio campaigns since that was my first career.  But without a ton of success in my own businesses, I didn`t think my advice would hold much value.  So I had never thought of putting a cost on my humble experiences.  LOL.

Thanks for the encouragement though.

• Options
    Yes, I used all of those type sites.  PR Newswire, PR Today, Free-pressrelease.com

there are so many ...

I find it best to submit to all of them.  In addition to strategically targeting different publications that are specific to your product, as I have recently discovered. 
    mymobiminder10/23/2008 1:07 PM
  • Options
    You may also want to check out www.prweb.com and my list of free posting sites at http://rembrandtblog.com/2008/04/18/40- ... s-release/.
    Thanks,
    Melanie

• Options
    mahriyahmahriyah subscriber Posts: 2
    Congratulations to you!
    MariaMy link
  • Options
    DanekDanek subscriber Posts: 0
    Congratulations!
    You`ve discovered one of the keys to getting publicity.  Just like the three keys to real estate success (before the bubble) are location, location, location, the keys to publicity success are target, target, target.Another way to broaden your target is to think of how-to press/releases you can create.  For example, if the software has a biz application, write a press release on how iPhones can be used to enhance productivity.  It`s not a direct sell of  your product, but if gives you a chance to spread the word and position yourself as an expert.Danek S. KausBiz journalist and
    author of "You Can Be Famous! Insider Secrets to Getting Free
    Publicity."  http://youcanbefamousbook.com Free book sample:
    dan@yourpowerpublicity.com For a free phone
    consultation, visit: http://yourpowerpublicity.com